Author Topic: Melolune for Mac  (Read 7922 times)

Ali

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
    • View Profile
Re: Melolune for Mac
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »
Hey, I just realized that I forgot to post my results

I need a faster internet that doesn't break because your host doesn't like resuming downloads :/

I'll try next time I'm at grandma's (yes my grandma has a better internet connection than I do)
You should have said earlier, I just sent a direct download link with resume support via PM to you. :)

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
Hey, Ali!  I just thought I'd start by saying I think it's awesome that you're doing native RPGMaker ports to Mac, in case I haven't mentioned it already. :)  As someone who grew up with Mac, cross-compatibility is something I really appreciate.

A friend of mine just released a game on Steam.  He'd like to get it available on Mac and Linux.  The thing is that he uses Multimedia Fusion.  Do you think you could do something similar for that?  Would you be up for it?

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

Ali

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
Thanks for your kind words Omni! :)

All the hard work in such ports is done by Ancurio as the creator of mkxp engine, which allows me to make Mac & Linux ports of RPG Maker XP games with some small ruby script modifications.
But it is only made to be compatible with RPG Maker XP games and I do not have the required skills to port any other game, at least not those which are not easily portable.

I have checked the Multimedia Fusion to see if they offer any solution and the Mac export capability is listed as a coming soon optional capability for the paid versions:
http://www.clickteam.com/compare-versions

But if your friend can't wait for the official Mac export capability, I wonder if his game runs well in Flash or HTML5 exported versions?
These documents describe the differences between Flash or HTML5 exported versions and Windows version of the game:
http://download.clickteam.com/misc/en/swf/Differences.pdf
http://download.clickteam.com/misc/en/html5/HTML5%20Runtime%20Differences.pdf

If the Flash or HTML5 versions are good enough, I guess he can use wrappers to make them look like native applications.
I remember buying Machinarium a few years ago from the Mac App Store and it is actually a flash game.
It may not get accepted for the Mac App Store if it gets submitted today since Apple has made application sand-boxing mandatory.
But I guess Steam store would not mind offering a Flash based game for Mac.

If your friend is using the free version of Multimedia Fusion or he can't wait for the Mac export capability or Flash/HTML5 exports are not good enough, there still remains another solution:
Running the game on Mac & Linux with Wine.
Some games run out of the box on Wine, some require installation of libraries/dlls and some are just not compatible with Wine.
I don't know if Steam allows games to be sold for Mac & Linux in Wine wrappers, but I have bought "Mac" games from the Gog store that were actually the Windows versions packaged with a Wine wrapper.

Sorry if none of the above helps!
Ali

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »
Well, thanks for letting me know. XD

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down