Author Topic: Substance20 Makes Things (AKA The Anti-Burnout Thread)  (Read 7449 times)

Substance20

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Laca soldato sur la remparoj de la urbo Dio.
    • View Profile
    • S20-TBL's deviantArt page
Re: Substance20 Makes Things (AKA The Anti-Burnout Thread)
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 12:04:21 AM »
Hey! Thanks for posting superman & batman work process thingr. It inspired me to at least attempt to understand lighting and do greyscale before colouring. I really like the details and colours in the pixel fanart. Now I want to attempt pixel art xD

Greyscale is very useful in modeling an image; it lets you check contrasting values and see exactly where your piece needs adjustments. Additionally, you can also thumbnail it by zooming out to give you a better feel for the literal "big picture".

A bit late, but I absolutely love that fan art. The colour choices give it a nice pop :3

Thanks. :) I had to adjust it a few times though. Those planes at the left hardly showed up when I first painted them in.

Gosh Substance, the colors on this are just breathtaking! I'm not sure, but it actually makes my eyes feel relaxed a bit (I've been staring at black on white all day and looking at tiny details... and when I look at that picture it feels like, "ahhh relief").

Hehe, thanks. :) Although to be honest the cool old pilot guy was himself greyscale when I first made this. :p
"In the fairy tales the cosmos goes mad; but the hero does not go mad. In the modern novels the hero is mad before the book begins, and suffers from the harsh steadiness and cruel sanity of the cosmos." -- G. K. Chesterton

Papilio Alpha now on sale!

Substance20

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 05:37:13 AM »
Some WIP stuff from the anime OVA Fate/Zero, if anybody's watched that. Also something from Fate/Stay Night ~Realta Nua~.

Shirley:

Saber (Arturia) & Shirou:

Also a joke picture for Heroes of the Storm. It started as a doodle but I might actually just paint it:

"In the fairy tales the cosmos goes mad; but the hero does not go mad. In the modern novels the hero is mad before the book begins, and suffers from the harsh steadiness and cruel sanity of the cosmos." -- G. K. Chesterton

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 10:18:56 PM »
Omg, I LOVE your Heroes of the Storm picture! It's so cute how they're all dressed up in evening wear; and you included some of my favorites (Rexxar, Kerrigan, Illidan -- has Astragoth seen this yet? I'm sure he will flip out seeing Illidan in that outfit). Classy!

Substance20

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 04:03:25 AM »
Classy!

I'd say Diablo is one handsome devil.

Please don't hurt me

Substance20

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »
Finally finished.

I don't even want to think about manually painting any more straw hats for the time being.

pokusan

• Shroom-Guard Elite (Lvl 10)
  • I'm just a simple guy looking for a better world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »
Dang! That is AMAZING. I love it! Seeing the top of it, it almost looked CGI and looks super lifelike. I think it captures everything that it should, the emotion, the chaos, the the scenery. Just a really amazing piece of work! Also, I just saw your sketch on Heroes of the Storm and that's also a great piece. They look like they're having fun and like they're there to have a party, haha. It's really an honor to see what you post.

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »
Omg... that hat!!! I'm glad you pointed it out, because it caused me to look and see just how many tiny little parts there are... it's crazy to think you did all of that by hand, you did an amazing job!! Love the palm trees in the background, too... they look so realistic.

Substance20

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2014, 09:34:10 PM »
Love the palm trees in the background, too... they look so realistic.

Thanks...although, they're really photos that I painted over to remove the photo artifacts (a form of matte painting). :P

Duskylli

• Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »
Hey! Thanks for posting superman & batman work process thingr. It inspired me to at least attempt to understand lighting and do greyscale before colouring. I really like the details and colours in the pixel fanart. Now I want to attempt pixel art xD

Greyscale is very useful in modeling an image; it lets you check contrasting values and see exactly where your piece needs adjustments. Additionally, you can also thumbnail it by zooming out to give you a better feel for the literal "big picture".

Neat tip! I tried using it to make shading more uniform and will try to make focal points with it next time ;)

Though that hat is mighty fine, my fave bit is the soft glow and shadows in the dress. The colours just look really nice together :3

SoHoInBrooklyn

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Dancing the cabbage patch in thread form.
    • View Profile
    • 60.25's :3
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »
A few days late but damn, I thought I was good at small details, that's amazing XD
Spoiler for snazzy sig in a spoiler:
snazzy sig

Udderdude

• Citizen (Level 2)
  • Game dev guy
    • View Profile
    • Center of Gravity
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2014, 08:09:43 AM »
Some really nice stuff in here.

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »
To be honest, I've been lurking here checking out your awesome artwork Substance, and haven't replied here until now ^_^ Still, I'm sorry about not leaving some feedback sooner! :)

I love your Heroes of the Storm pic a lot, it has Illidan in it and um.... yeh, that's it. I love it just cause of that (cough) :P

In all seriousness, I do love the Heroes pic as a whole, and given time, I would love to see a painted version of it! That would be so awesome! Also, have you played Heroes yet?

And I love the facial expressions in the straw hat picture too... "MY STRAW HAT, CURSE THIS WIND!"

The irony is, you not wanting to paint any more straw hats for the time being since it got whisked away in the wind, am I right? XD (There's a really bad joke there, my bad) haha.

Anyway Substance, keep up the great work, and looking forward to seeing more crazy art! ^_^  :thumbup:

Substance20

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »
Been hit by a really bad mental block recently, so I took time off to try and paint something game-related. Monster Hunter is one of the new-gen games that really appeals to me. It's a love-it-or-hate-it game, to be sure, but you can't deny that it's a lot of fun.

This is a gift I made for a Japanese friend, a Monster Hunter player who specializes in the Gunlance.

You can download the full resolution version by clicking on the image.

I love your Heroes of the Storm pic a lot, it has Illidan in it and um.... yeh, that's it. I love it just cause of that (cough) :P

In all seriousness, I do love the Heroes pic as a whole, and given time, I would love to see a painted version of it! That would be so awesome! Also, have you played Heroes yet?

Thanks for the compliments! I used to play Heroes regularly, but stopped after a while. I might pick it up again soon though, do you have an account on there? You can hang with us if you want and revel in our stories about Illidan being an otaku and Uther not cutting him any slack for it, with E.T.C. and Diablo forming a band called Seditious D and touring the Koprulu Sector in their mighty pickup truck while trying to hit on ladies (and failing).

As for the drawing, I may paint it soon, but I've got one more image to work on before I go back to work. Will keep it in mind though! :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:18:50 AM by Substance20 »

Substance20

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »
Finally finished the picture of Saber and Shirou.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:19:27 AM by Substance20 »

Substance20

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »
A small joke on the Monster Hunter subreddit about a badly camouflaged Basarios resulted in this.

3B pencil, GIMP for colors.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:19:48 AM by Substance20 »