Author Topic: **Healthy 2015**  (Read 8007 times)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
**Healthy 2015**
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:27:43 PM »
:pompoms:    *Healthy 2015* :pompoms:

Hi everyone! One of my new year's resolutions for 2014 was to exercise more consistently... and amazingly (I say "amazingly" because it's usually tough for me to keep such resolutions haha) I've actually kept up with it. Having a mini-elliptical at home, and being able to go on near-daily walks has helped tremendously with this. Another thing that's helped a lot has been having friends and family who are also working out, because we help keep each other accountable. For example, if I'm about to do a workout, I'll text my Mom... "Mom, I'm gonna workout and drink water, you wanna join??" And then afterwards we'll talk about it, haha. It's a great way to stay on track, and knowing that someone else is there with you mentally can help a lot!

Soooooo..... that brings me to this thread. I thought it might be nice to have a place here where you can:

1.) Post about your health goals for the year (whether you want to lose or gain weight, walk everyday, do regular exercise, eat healthier, learn how to cook more nutritious meals, whatever you want really... You can be as specific or as ambiguous as you'd like)

2.) Ask for advice, get moral support from others, or just vent about things!

3.) Be one another's workout buddies! Help one another to be accountable! Knowing that others are working out with you can make things a lot nicer. I imagine a conversation to go like this:

Mike: Hey I'm going to run today, anyone wanna run with me?
Craig: Yeah dude, I'll run with you!
Mike: That was an awesome run! I feel so good now!
Craig: Not for me man, I ran into a tree. And then I tripped over a skunk.
Mike: Wow man...
Craig: Yeah.

Or like this...

Aimee: I'm gonna try making this healthy vegetable dish I read about today. I'll post the recipe!
Kan: That inspires me to make a healthy meal, too! I'm gonna cook something today!
Aimee: Hey Kan, how did your cooking adventures go?
Kan: I was dancing, and I lost track of time, and well... one thing led to another and the fire department just left.
Aimee: Oh... I see...

This thread is meant to be pretty casual. So feel free to use it for discussion, finding folks to work out with, posting recipes, venting, anything related to becoming healthier in 2015! To get things rolling, feel free to go ahead and post if you'd like to participate, and if you have any health goals ^_^

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:31:07 PM by supershigi »

WishfulThinker

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
Re: **Healthy 2015**
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:27:45 AM »
I was doing pretty well with this until the last few months when the weather turned cold. Today was the first day in a while that I got outside to do a little hiking. I'd like to improve on my last year's effort in this regard. I managed to hike just about every day during the summer and early fall last year. This year I want to expand that to include as much of the rest of the year as possible. Snow and cold temperatures will still stop me some days (and I honestly do fear tripping over skunks!), but I shouldn't have these long periods of inactivity.

As far as food goes, I had a pretty awesome streak of no sweets worked up until cookies defeated me during my last grocery store visit. That has to stop. :-) I think I'll throw away the bag tomorrow after a good breakfast gives me the willpower. Sometimes I have to remind myself that a dislike for "throwing away money" can't logically serve as an excuse for making another bad decision after the money is gone.

pokusan

• Shroom-Guard Elite (Lvl 10)
  • I'm just a simple guy looking for a better world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 04:16:16 AM »
Mike: Hey I'm going to run today, anyone wanna run with me?
Craig: Yeah dude, I'll run with you!
Mike: That was an awesome run! I feel so good now!
Craig: Not for me man, I ran into a tree. And then I tripped over a skunk.
Mike: Wow man...
Craig: Yeah.
You captured us perfectly! haha

...I had a pretty awesome streak of no sweets worked up until cookies defeated me during my last grocery store visit...
Many a cookie has stood triumphant over man. *moment of silence for the defeated*

On that note, I used to run 5 miles a day and was eating really well, but I got pretty far away from that habit/discipline. Life threw me for some turns and I just sort of cut regular exercise out, BUT I definitely was excited to see this post. I think I do better being accountable to people, so i'll be posting in this to exercise and hopefully be able to exercise with y'all.

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »
Hahaha! I like the theoretical conversations.

I recently purchased this stepper - it's great 'cuz it's compact and doesn't require electricity. It also fits in with my makeshift standing "table". It almost feels like riding a unicycle.

I'd go non stop on it if I could, but after 10 mins, it starts overheating. So I have a sporadic workout schedule. It has a step counter, so great way of keeping track and gamifying it so you can beat your previous day's record. Plus I no longer have the excuse "it's too cold/dark out".

I'm not a good workout buddy 'cuz I'm really bad at updating people. But I could try.  :D
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 03:30:40 PM »
Hmm... Yeah, I could give this a shot.   Though I have one question: how might we reliably contact each-other?

I started paying for classes for health/meditation/martial arts and stuff awhile ago.  I'll get three two-hour classes per week (minus holiday breaks).  Ideally, I'll also use a home workout DVD once a week (which I should get to after posting this), which adds another half-hour.  I guess I could let someone know when the classes start, if anyone's interested.  (Note that I don't expect you to go the full two hours. )

Personally, I find paying for something and having scheduled times to do it gives me more incentive to do it - if I can do something 'whenever I want,' I'll never get to it.  (I seem to remember there being a proverb along the lines of 'that which can be done any day, will be done no day.')

Another thing is that my teachers gave the students training journals.  We're encouraged to do just a little bit of certain exercises every day, and we use the calendars in the journals to help us keep track, and to remember to do the exercises.  (It also says when there will be breaks, tests, and stuff, so it helps alert us of those, too.)  So that's another thing someone might be able to use.

Anyway, for a goal, I'm thinking of a subtle shift to my diet, namely to add more fruits and vegetables.  (Not necessarily to subtract other things, especially for calories; if anything, I think I might need more calories between the exercise, and trying not to eat much before said exercise.)  I should probably start simple - like right now I have Cran-Raspberry and Cran-Pomegranate juice in the fridge - though any recipe suggestions and such would be appreciated.

Aaaaand I'm rambling again.  But anyway, hope someone finds something helpful, and help back would be appreciated.

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

nicktendowii

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Hello Nicktendowii here :)
    • View Profile
    • Nicktendowii's Youtube Channel!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »
I'm hoping to take up running this year. I did start last year but ended up giving up around Christmas time :/ So hopefully i'm going to get back into it! :D oh and also I've started drinking green tea which is very healthy apparently! And eating plenty of fruit too! Need to do more exercise now i'm working in an office sat at a desk most of the day~! :/

Harpsichord Lady

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »
This is the perfect thread for me. ^_^ I actually gained 20 pounds in one year! D: Last year, I had a junior recital and a difficult class that stressed me out and made me temporarily quit working out. Unfortunately, when you start working out your metabolism just shoots downward, so it really sucked. Now, I'm taking less classes so I can focus more on practicing and my own health.  :D

I plan to work out at least an hour a day. I don't feel satisfied when I work out 30 minutes a day. You'll be surprised how addicting exercising can be! I'm definitely eating healthier, especially since cooking is fun. :) My boyfriend and I are encouraging each other to be healthier so it's excellent motivation and this thread will be even more motivation.

My goals are pretty simple: do areobics exercise for an hour a day and cook nutritious food. I used to work out a lot so an hour a day is nothing for me. Once I'm healthy enough, I'll take up rock climbing! It's been a dream of mine to do such. Good luck to everyone else and have fun with it. ^_^
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:09:57 PM by Harpsichord Lady »

SuperRoo

• Shroom-Druid (Level 11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »
The conversations made me smile. So fun!

My goal is to walk a least 10,000 steps a day. I have been using a great app when I go walking, it's free: http://www.resqwalk.com/ When you walk it will track how far you go and each mile can be donated to an animal rescue of your choice. :)

I also really need to eat healthier meals, I'm on some medication that the main side effect is weight gain so I need to do whatever I can to not gain more than I have. Christmas treats didn't help. LOL.
Bring me a shrubbery!

leprous hare

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
  • Leeble Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 07:41:57 PM »
My goal is to lose 50 lbs by cutting out sugar and fried foods. Also I need to do a cancer screening cause I'm worried I might have the same cancer my roommate has (since I have similar symptoms to what he was experiencing before he had to get surgery).

I also need to develop a workout regimen that doesn't include my roommate since I used to work out with him but now that he's recovering from cancer, I have to go at it solo.

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »
Thank-you everyone for sharing your goals and what's been going on in your lives lately!

I just wanted to get this rolling by saying that I'm gonna go on a walk today in about 15 minutes, and afterwards I'd like to do the elliptical for 20-30 minutes. If anyone wants to join me, let me know! If you can't work out at that time, no biggie! Just let me know if you're planning on doing something healthy/active today or tomorrow (or if you already did) ^_^

@bufkus: I really hope your roommate makes a full recovery and that you don't have any sort of complications if/when you get screened. I know I mentioned this before, but I also get concerned about that from time to time since I frequently get nauseous after the first thing I eat each morning (it's such a normal thing for me now that I just call it "first tummy" lol).

Quote from: SuperRoo
I'm on some medication that the main side effect is weight gain so I need to do whatever I can to not gain more than I have. Christmas treats didn't help. LOL.

Ack, my mom is on something right now called Prednisone that is causing her to feel hungry all the time. She gained a significant amount of weight the last time she was on it, so when the doctor's were saying she had to take it again she was really bummed out. I only experienced that medicine-induced ravenous feeling once in my life (after taking a muscle relaxant) and it made me feel so crazy! I can't even imagine having to feel like that for weeks or even months; it sounds awful. I hope that whatever you're taking, you can get off of it soon or adjust to the effects. *hug*

Quote from: Omni
Hmm... Yeah, I could give this a shot.   Though I have one question: how might we reliably contact each-other?

Folks can contact one another either by posting here on the thread or if you have a specific arrangement with someone else on the forum, you could PM/email them/etc. I figure, even though some of us won't be able to work out at exactly the same time, being able to read about folks trying to get healthy here might be helpful or motivating!

On another note, I loved hearing about your martial arts classes! If you ever feel like sharing more about what you've been doing, feel free to post about it - I think it's so interesting ^_^
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:46:09 PM by supershigi »

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
Got back home today and it's too cold out to walk, but I'm gonna be on the wooden dummy for a bit.

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »
^Oooh wooden dummy practice, nice! How did it go? What kind of exercises do you do on it?

I just finished my workout, ended up going for 25 minutes on the elliptical! It was tough getting started because I didn't really do much exercise this past week due to fighting off a cold. I was really dragging my feet at first lol. But after about 10 minutes it started feeling good. I'm really glad I did it ^_^
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:17:51 PM by supershigi »

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »
Whoot, nice job pulling through. :) And ah, with the wooden dummy it's mostly just the premeditated sets and routines; not that different from the kind of exercise elderly Asian folks do in the parks now that I think about it, just faster and there's actually stuff being hit.

TRUEfoe

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
  • The 3rd Person
    • View Profile
    • TRUEfoe's Youtube
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 06:47:01 AM »
More whooping wooden dummy footage!

TRUEfoe recently got a Fitbit which has been really motivating him to get out and be active!  It has this neat thing where you can challenge your buddies to get more steps, etc along with leaderboards too.  Slowly but surely trying to get active again!

Harpsichord Lady

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 12:18:23 PM »
So I started a myfitnesspal account. ^.^ It is a great way to keep track of what you eat and see how much calories you consume in a day. Feel free to add me as a friend. :) It's really helpful to see what you eat so you can adjust next time. You'll be surprised how small things can add up like soda, condiments, or even a little extra sugar and salt.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/stellarlights24