Author Topic: The 2015 Leeble Jam Games!!  (Read 4799 times)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The 2015 Leeble Jam Games!!
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 07:10:16 PM »
Hi everyone~!! I want to start by apologizing for not posting my feedback for such a long time... Shortly after the jam finished, a bunch of things kind of crept up on me in real life (both good and bad), and I'm just now starting to get back on track again. Thankfully, I was however able to play all but one of the games... And I just wanted to say that I am SO PROUD OF ALL OF YOU for all your hard work and creativity. When we were first tossing around the idea of doing a jam here, I had no idea whether or not people would even be interested... So to see so many people participating and actually finishing games... well let's just say it blew my mind!! Thank-you all for joining in on this event, it was great fun watching you learn new things, keeping up with the development progress, and getting to play the games at the end ^_^ What an amazing bunch of people we have here ^_^

@thegoofromspace:
Spoiler for Hiden:
What a cute idea for a game! Arkanoid plus flower micromanagement! Unfortunately, I had some resolution problems (I wasn't able to see the moving platform which I assume was at the bottom of the screen)... but I was able to play enough to understand the concept, and I'm sure if I could control the Arkanoid-portion of it, I would have really gotten into it because I love the idea :)

@Ben:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I liked this game! It kind of reminded me a little bit of Colors (the game where you take turns switching colors in order to take over a larger portion of the map), except with the 5-in-a-row flower mechanic. That combination is quite fun and interesting! I enjoyed trying different strategies against the computer, and the overall feel was nice and relaxing :) I think you did a great job!

@TP:
Spoiler for Hiden:
This was a very relaxing game! I liked kreyg's comment about it being "like Cookie Clicker but without the carpal tunnel" haha... (I appreciate that a lot because I can't play a lot of games these days due to wrist limitations) I liked the UI, and I thought the art style and animations were cute and pleasant. Saving up for the tortoise was fun!

@kreyg:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I really, really loved your game, Craig. It was so much fun, the controls were intuitive, and the gameplay was simple yet addictive with great replayability (I spent a lot of time refining my aim and creating more goals for myself... "get more seeds this time..." "make it this far without using my sunflower boost"... etc.). I was so impressed that you were able to make such a complete game; creating all of the assets yourself, and doing everything within such a short amount of time... you're amazing! The spring was adorable and I loved its animation; the music was really pleasant to listen to and fit the levels nicely. And the overall theme really made me feel really happy ^_^

Thank-you so much, not only for creating a really fun game, but also for being such a positive presence here during the jam. I know I already mentioned this during Guild Night, but I saw you leaving supportive comments and helping folks out... and that really moved me a lot.

@Melaniipon:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Stephy, I am really proud of you. As you know, the jam actually came about after the discussion we all had concerning how you weren't allowed to work on parts of Ghost Shards until all of the art was finished. I really wanted you to have a chance to create something on your own. I believe that you have so much creativity and so many great ideas; and I know that the more you practice setting deadlines and accomplishing small tasks, the better chance you'll have at realizing your goals. 

Anyways, that being said, this was a really cute little game! I liked the title screen and UI, your art there was lovely. I also like that you did something a bit more unconventional with rpg maker (instead of regular battles, you had the collection system). And now that you have this as a base, there's lot of room to build off of it! I'm sure you could use it to build more levels, and expand on the cutscenes (after reading the excerpt from your novel and seeing how well you write, I would *love* to read more dialogue from you). All in all, great job, I'm super proud of you for finishing this and I believe that if you continue to put effort into planning and meeting goals, you will be able to make a lot of wonderful things!

@Astragoth:
Spoiler for Hiden:
What can I say... I think all of us were really happy about how enthusiastic you were when it came to learning how to use rpg maker. I was talking with Kan about how we were remembering our early days using the program. I know for me it was both incredibly exciting to be able to make a game; but also incredibly frustrating at times... I remember how making my first map was so confusing and took me several days. I kept thinking, "if just one map takes *this* long, how in the world would I ever make a game?" I was SO discouraged, haha... but each time you complete something, you learn SO much. And it really sounds like you learned a lot this month. I'm proud of you for putting so much time and effort into learning about the program, as well as for planning and adopting new work-strategies.

As kreyg mentioned, I think you did a great job eventing the maze! I liked your maps (they were very neat and organized), and I could tell how much effort you put into everything. My favorite part was definitely the dialogue; I think that is your strong point. You're really good at being descriptive and weaving a scene for the audience. And of course, loved all the cameo-stuff ^_^ I'm excited to see more story-based games from you! Don't hesitate to ask us if you have any questions related to the program! Great job!

@Charybdizs:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Aww, I'm really sad I wasn't able to play your game! It looked and sounded so beautiful. After reading Astra's feedback, it makes me want to play even more because I love these types of games^^ If you ever make a gameplay video, I'd love to check it out so that I can at least experience it in some form!

@Unnamed:
Spoiler for Hiden:
There is nothing quite like using tiny goats to take down a giant, evil goat! Going around and collecting eggs, and then unleashing your goat-army was pretty satisfying. Much more than if I was just shooting bullets, haha ^_^ My only suggestion would be to have some sort of audio/visual feedback for when the tiny goats collide with the big one (because for the longest time I didn't even know whether or not I was damaging him... or if this was what I was supposed to be doing). Just something simple like having the big goat flash, or having a sound effect that indicates he's taking damage would both work great ^_^ Besides that though, it was really fun!

@P. Yoshi:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I truly loved how this game made me feel, you did such an excellent job with the ambience~! Everything from the slightly unsettling background sound, to the way you varied the dialogue sound effects based on who was speaking... It was all very effective. The art style was charming as well (I loved the sprites, and the adorable portraits). I enjoyed interacting with everything around the room; I made sure to explore everything! As others have mentioned, I really wished it was longer, because even after such a short time I already felt sucked into the world and curious about what you were going to do with the story. Please do more! Hehehe^^

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 06:52:14 AM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave feedback on all the Leeble Jam games Laura ^_^ And personally, thank you for also taking the time to play my game, glad you enjoyed it! :) Like I said a few times now, it's thanks so much to you and Kan, and the whole Leeble Academy thread and the people that posted, that helped me so much in learning new stuff with RPG Maker, and that checklist idea of yours REALLY helped, and made things a lot more simpler / easier! So thank YOU!  B)  :thumbup:

thegoofromspace

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
Quote from: supershigi
Unfortunately, I had some resolution problems (I wasn't able to see the moving platform which I assume was at the bottom of the screen)...

Huh! What's your resolution? 'cause the game is 700x700.

Unnamed

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
  • Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 03:16:28 AM »
I'd also like to play all the games (yeah, I know I'm kind of late with this), but the fact that most of them are Windows-only really doesn't make it easy for me. Of course I could try them with Wine, but I'm kind of lazy to set it up – nowadays I don't even have it installed as I rarely need Windows applications.

If anyone made their game with a development kit that allows easy Linux export (such as Unity), I would very appreciate it if they made a Linux port for their game. A web version would also be fine, as long as it doesn't require browser plugins.

Thanks for all who played my game, I hope you like the goats! I think they are cute. :)

kreyg

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »
If anyone made their game with a development kit that allows easy Linux export (such as Unity), I would very appreciate it if they made a Linux port for their game.

I exported Sprink for Linux (32 and 64 bit).  I have no idea if it works, my Linux box is buried in a closet and ssh only :) but you're welcome to give it a try:

http://www.basemetalgames.com/sprink/sprink_linux.zip

If it does work, please let me know!  It would be nice to add another platform to the list.  :)

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 01:39:05 AM »
@ Alice - Here is the .dll file for my game so you don't have to download the whole RTP. Please let me know if it doesn't work / having any other issues ^_^

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 01:53:53 AM »
Thanks dood! I had no idea the fix was to install actual RPG Maker ><

I'll let you know next time I'm on Windows. =D

Oh and Kreyg - I'll let Chad know. He's here on the weekends, and he's on Linux then. I'll ask him to try it out. We played over the weekend on his phone, and he says it's really cute. Enjoys the bouncing.  :D
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.