Author Topic: **Healthy 2015**  (Read 8010 times)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: **Healthy 2015**
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
That is so true! It's so hard to go outside for a run when it's 90 degrees and above, and the sun is beating down!

Wait... Texas, Arizona and New Mexico are in the "below average" region?? Isn't it like 120 degrees there in the shade? Oh... by "average" do they mean their average temperature (like this year it's cooler than it usually is there), or like, world temperature averages?

Davixus

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Let's play a little DotA
    • View Profile
    • Phosgene
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »
Haha I think it's below average for the region.  Like Texas was pretty rainy as of late in the 70s, where last year with droughts and all it was in the 90s.

Having lived in some of the areas:
New Mexico - You might see some greenery.  The local vegetation only blooms/turns green after rains and cooler temps (usually dry 80s+)

Arizona - Pretty much a monument to the hubris of man.  Not unusual for 110+ temps during the summer months.

The husband and I have been working really hard to get our 10,000 steps in each day. We both have FitBit trackers and have been getting our goal for almost a month now. Sadly the scale isn't moving downward for either of us, which is strange since we upped our activity and not our food, but at least we are doing it together and getting more movement in our days. :)

There was a flurry of news reports a couple of months ago about an article written by some health professionals that stated exercise doesn't help much with weight loss. http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2015/05/07/bjsports-2015-094911.full They clarify that exercise has plenty of other benefits, but when it comes to weight control, their advice seems to be to focus less on calorie counting and exercise and more on the types of calories that are consumed. There is still plenty of debate on the subject.

Yeah, depending on what kind of exercise you do, it can do different things that may or may not impact weight.  Like I am lifting now, with the goal of building muscle mass, so I may not actually lose weight.  However, muscle is ~4x dense as fat, and with proper training and diet, you essentially convert the fluffiness into muscle which results in a "leaner" look.  Another side effect is that more and larger muscles require more energy, which also helps keep your metabolism in check.

The best thing to do to "cut" fat though is cardio, 20 mins a day.  The general rule is energy in and energy out - if you consume less calories than you use, you lose weight.  Consume more, you gain weight.  There are slight nuances (portion sizes, appetite control) that you can tweak to couple with exercise to achieve your results better.

WishfulThinker

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »

Wait... Texas, Arizona and New Mexico are in the "below average" region?? Isn't it like 120 degrees there in the shade? Oh... by "average" do they mean their average temperature (like this year it's cooler than it usually is there), or like, world temperature averages?

Haha, yeah, "cool" is more a state of mind in these states. But yes, the graph meant relative to the normal temperatures for the regions. They are expecting the El Nino event to change things up quite a bit this year.

Yeah, depending on what kind of exercise you do, it can do different things that may or may not impact weight.  Like I am lifting now, with the goal of building muscle mass, so I may not actually lose weight.  However, muscle is ~4x dense as fat, and with proper training and diet, you essentially convert the fluffiness into muscle which results in a "leaner" look.  Another side effect is that more and larger muscles require more energy, which also helps keep your metabolism in check.

The best thing to do to "cut" fat though is cardio, 20 mins a day.  The general rule is energy in and energy out - if you consume less calories than you use, you lose weight.  Consume more, you gain weight.  There are slight nuances (portion sizes, appetite control) that you can tweak to couple with exercise to achieve your results better.

It's interesting to watch the new ideas and strategies that researchers come up with. There seem to be quite a few variables involved, so I guess it's not really surprising that we often hear them give different advice. It's all a little mysterious to me. I've been pretty lucky in that my winter inactivity didn't cause me to gain weight, even though my diet didn't really change.

I like your word, "fluffiness." :-) It's much nicer to think that America has just gotten fluffier over the years.

SuperRoo

• Shroom-Druid (Level 11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2015, 10:08:43 PM »
We just got back from our nightly walk (it's about 11:00 PM here) and it's still 83F out. It's been in the 100s the past few days so it's been harder to get out, that map is lying!! LOL, we are above average actually for this time frame.

Oh yes, it's very important to watch calories in vs. calories out. That's why we were surprised, we should be creating a deficit since we added more activity and are not increasing our food intake, but there are many variables. Like being older. Why do our bodies have to punish us with slow metabolisms as we age?! ;)
Bring me a shrubbery!

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2015, 11:42:51 PM »
Quote from: SuperRoo
Why do our bodies have to punish us with slow metabolisms as we age?!

Yeah!! And it seems like our bodies just can't handle bad food as well anymore either! In high school I remember I used to be able to eat all kinds of bad food at whatever hour of the day and I would be fine... now if I were to go like, eat Denny's at 2am I would definitely be sick to my stomach afterwards. No more middle of the night Grand Slams for me, haha!

On a better note, good job on getting out and walking! I've been trying to walk everyday, it's definitely easier once the sun sets (or before it gets too hot).

Last night I went on a run for the first time in a very long time... I was on the fence about it because running is so hard on the body, but for some reason I just got the urge, and it was so nice at dusk. I'm surprised I got through it! My left knee started hurting a bit partway through, but then it went away... I did about a mile (probably going at a pretty slow pace), but I felt good afterwards.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:44:31 PM by supershigi »

WishfulThinker

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2015, 06:25:24 AM »
Slowing metabolism, fading memories and crap knee joints are three design flaws I've made up my mind I'm going to bring up to the Boss when I get finished here on Earth.

...and omg i want a $2.99 Grand Slam at Denny's now. The only thing they ever did to rival that was their very brief introduction of caramel shakes.

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »
So I'd like to get more fruits and vegetables in my diet - particularly fruits.  Problem is, when someone in the family gets fruit, we tend to kind of forget it's there and then it goes bad.

I do think refrigeration can help, but this even happens with stuff we put in the fridge.  I think one problem is 'out of sight: out of mind' - the spaces we have to put fruits and veggies, such as the crisper drawer, kind of tend to hide them and so it doesn't even occur to us to use them.  The rest of the fridge is also pretty full a lot of the time... and even things in the main bulk of the fridge can get forgotten.  Similar problem with canned things.

Any suggestions?

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2015, 02:47:17 PM »
Oooh I have this problem, too... I have some suggestions for you!

-I really like cherries, and I find that they're super easy to eat (no preparation required except maybe washing them). So what I do is get a collander, and set it near where all the other food is. That way it reminds me of how easy it is to eat the cherries... I see the collander, pour out a bunch of cherries into it, run it under the sink for a few seconds and then munch!

-Do you eat cereal? I often have blueberries on hand because just like with cherries, they're super simple. I pour a bowl of cereal, and then throw a handful of blueberries on top with the milk... and there you go! Easy serving of fruit taken care of.

-Have you had mandarins before? (our most popular brand is called "Cuties")... They taste great, and are muuuuuch easier to peel than oranges (I love oranges, but I have a tough time peeling them, especially since I keep my nails so short). You can usually buy a big box of mandarins here, and I'll just set them out in plain site, so when I go for a snack I see them and grab one (or three, haha... they're pretty darn tasty).

-If you are looking for easy-to-eat veggies, I've seen in many stores that they sell bags of sugar snap peas that are all ready to eat. Pairing that with some kind of protein (like cheese, or hard boiled eggs, etc.)... or even having some cherry tomatoes (which are also very easy to just snack on) is pretty convenient.

-Sometimes working fruit into your meals or snacks can be helpful, too... though this one requires a bit more preparation. You could have strawberries, and make a really simple low calorie shake by throwing strawberries, greek yogurt (or any yogurt), and milk into a blender (maybe some ice if you're hot). Or you could get some cheese, and apples.

I think the key is just keeping them in plain site, and tricking yourself, haha. I try to identify where I tend to be lazy, and work around it... I know that if it requires too much preparation, if I'm busy then I'm less likely to do it. So on days where I get groceries I try to plan around that. Likewise, I try to think "when do I snack, and where do I look for a snack?" and I'll plan the placement of healthy snacks (and how to make it more convenient) around that.

Oh! One last tip: Put a note somewhere that you frequent (like taped to the side of your computer monitor for example) that says "have you had enough fruits/veggies today? Go get some!!" and then it'll remind you to work that in. I find that sometimes if I think of life like an rpg, and I imagine that every good thing I do adds up over time, it really motivates me to go grab something healthy, or go for a walk, or anything like that :)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:57:43 PM by supershigi »

leprous hare

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
  • Leeble Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2015, 08:33:44 AM »
trying a low carb diet and its the hardest thing in the world. eating fewer calories is easier than low carb, geez.
only doing it cause it worked for my friend who dropped 50 lbs in 6 months. anyway, had a cheat day yesterday so i gotta really lower the carbs today.

SuperRoo

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2015, 03:21:36 PM »
bufkus Low carb is tough, and it does work (mainly because cutting out a food group forces you to eat less calories). We did South Beach which has some great recipes that do have some carbs too. Personally I like to count calories, that way I can still eat my favorite foods, I just have to be aware of how much I am actually eating of them.
Bring me a shrubbery!

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »
A quick word of caution about low carb: I've found that if you lose weight from cutting calories and exercise (causing the weight to come off gradually), it doesn't seem to come back as drastically (and generally stays off if you are careful).

However, with cutting carbs I've found that the bounce back is TERRIBLE! The reason I discovered this is because one summer when I went back home during college, my parents and sisters were doing a low carb thing, so we didn't have any carbs in the house (no bread, no rice, no sweets, etc.)... Since I was home, I just ended up eating how they were eating for about two weeks. At that point I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I ended up losing weight due to not having carbs. But then... once I returned to college, even though I was eating light and healthfully, the re-introduction of carbohydrates made me gain everything back and more! And I eat very light... it's just that my body was like, "holy crap we can have rice again?? Let's store this bad boy!!!"... It took me about twice as long to stabilize again, and it was difficult.

I've also heard this from several other folks who tried low carb diets. I think it's not as bad if the diet isn't as drastic... but it's best to be careful. The way I see it, is if you plan on losing weight via low carb (and you want it to stay off), you're gonna have to eat like that for the rest of your life. If you can't give up chocolate cake and fried rice forever, then do low calorie instead... it's much safer.

SuperRoo

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »
A quick word of caution about low carb: I've found that if you lose weight from cutting calories and exercise (causing the weight to come off gradually), it doesn't seem to come back as drastically (and generally stays off if you are careful).

This is totally spot on. When my husband and I were doing South Beach the same thing happened to my husband. I never did it the whole way, I would still eat cereal or toast, so even though I lost weight it wasn't as much as he did. Then when we stopped, he gained his back and then some and I didn't.

Really counting calories and making sure your food is close to it's natural state is best. :)
Bring me a shrubbery!

Ben

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2015, 01:07:16 PM »
@Davixus That is true.  The best way to loose weight is to eat fewer calories than you expend.  Adding muscle mass is key to this because muscle use more calories during the day than fat.  The idea isn't to loose weight but replace the fat weight with muscle mass, and loose inches from waistline, etc.  If you want to lose weight you must weight lift. Muscle mass also brings a host of other benefits.  I have found that the food part of the equation is about retraining your mind.  Many times when we think we are hungry we are actually thirsty and need to drink water!

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2015, 07:53:04 PM »
I thought I'd pass along something that was mentioned to me: Gamer Push-ups.  The basic idea is when you have a long loading screen, or you die, or whatever's fitting for the game, you do 10 push-ups.

Naturally, it doesn't have to be push-ups: it can be squats, crunches, or whatever you want.  And I figure if you can't make it to 10, you can start with 5.

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

WishfulThinker

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2015, 09:02:51 PM »
I thought I'd pass along something that was mentioned to me: Gamer Push-ups.  The basic idea is when you have a long loading screen, or you die, or whatever's fitting for the game, you do 10 push-ups.

Naturally, it doesn't have to be push-ups: it can be squats, crunches, or whatever you want.  And I figure if you can't make it to 10, you can start with 5.

Haha, I'm not sure if that would make me do more push-ups or less gaming! Perhaps both would be healthy. :-) I'm crossing my fingers that Virtual Reality or Augmented Reality gaming in the future will include exercise. It seems like HoloLens could be used to create a pretty awesome multi-player war game. Take Laser Tag to the next level with a virtual maze in your back yard. (edit: I'm getting off on a tangent here, but I hadn't thought about the possibilities for something like HoloLens to create a virtual world for us to physically move around. I could imagine an auto-generated dungeon maze RPG designed to fit the constraints of a room or yard. Reaching the edge of the space might lead you to a door that generates a new section of the labyrinth, essentially re-using the same physical space to show new areas of the game. I might look a little silly creeping around my yard and running from imaginary dragons, but it could be really fun - and healthy!).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:21:39 PM by WishfulThinker »