Author Topic: "Leeble Game Jam" theme nominations!  (Read 3987 times)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: "Leeble Game Jam" theme nominations!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 10:37:43 PM »
Quote from: Arwym
I am definitely interested! Working on my 3D skills at this time, so this might be a good time to get more into it.

Yay, welcome to the jam Arwym~!! And thank-you so much for helping both Kan and I with forum-stuff :)

Quote from: Crimmy
Well... I guess I won't learn to work on games unless I start with one, eh? I will try my best.

Woo hoo, that's the spirit! I'm sure it will be fun to try it out, and we'll all be very supportive!

Quote from: sixty
My theme suggestion is being lost lol

Oooh, I like that :)

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 10:42:32 PM »
I'm fond of both "Spring" and "being lost". :) I'm not sure if I'd be able to participate this time around if it's a month-long thing, but I might be able to do a little week-long side project for it. Neat idea; good luck everyone!

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 12:36:54 AM »
^Oooh that would be so awesome! :) I'd definitely look forward to that!

On that note, I was trying to think of how I could participate too (just to get in the spirit of things, not to compete obviously, haha), and I thought maybe I could do a section of Rakuen that's somehow related to the forum during this time (like the Leeble Protection Agency part).

YoruNoHikage

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • Flying potatoes are the best!
    • View Profile
    • YoruNoHikage's Home
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 01:47:34 AM »
Oh cool, another game jam ! My last participation was 2 months ago in Global Game Jam. :)
But this time, I couldn't do it, I'm too busy currently. :/

Good luck to everyone ! :)

TP

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 05:43:19 AM »
You have awoken me!
This is a fantastic Idea and the perfect opportunity for me to get back in touch with this community  :D
I`d love Spring as a theme, I can only imagine the beautiful things you guys would come up with.
"Lost" would probably lead to some nice stories&visuals aswell.
On the other hand you just cant argue with a hero made of Jam! B)

I would like to suggest Dream as it leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Can´t wait for this to start. I hope I find the time to participate.
Just one question: Will teams of 2 People (maybe even more) be allowed, or is it 1 Creator only? (I´m horrible with character graphics  :P)
I´m back.

Michcioperz

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »
Nice, I logged in to the forums randomly (cause someone came to the chatroom) and suddenly there's this :)
I'm totally going to participate! No theme ideas though, or game ideas either, but I'll figure it out later :D

Davixus

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Let's play a little DotA
    • View Profile
    • Phosgene
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »
Really Excited for this...I really like the Spring theme and Lost.  Already getting creative ideas :)

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 01:47:48 PM »
I'm going to take a flying leap here (on the positive side of course lol), and say that I'd like to sign up and give it a go on making a game. But I have to say upfront I'm not comfortable working on my own, and have fiddled around with RPG Maker - though I know nothing about programming code XD

Anyway, I'm serious about this, but flying solo is kinda out of the question ^_^

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »
I think I could give it a shot.  I even have some loose ideas should the theme be 'spring' or 'jam.'

Say Astra, we could try teaming up if Shigi's okay with it. =)  I don't think I'd be able to pull something off on my own, either, and I specialized in programming in school.

Maybe I could also swing it by my sister, see if she'd be willing to contribute (or make a game on her own).

Not a lot of ideas for themes at the moment.  First thing that pops into my mind is "swing"?

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »
Ah this is a good idea! I also like Spring as a theme. I will observe this for now.  :)

Having never done a game jam before, I want to emphasize some points I observed from other game jams (and feel free to add on or correct me):

• Bad graphics? No problem! - especially Programmer Art, blocks/circles, etc.
  • Simple game - If you've never finished creating a game before, aim for something simple. Want to create a platformer? How about make the character move around and jump on things like Mario? It needs to be simple - 1 month is not a lot of time, and you'll want to spend time fixing bugs. Learning to use RPGMaker? Create a world where you walk around talking to NPCs - aim small. If you have time, start adding in extra features (conversation trees, etc). Aim for something basic - the more jams you do, the quicker you'll be because you're building on your base of knowledge (and code).
  • Didn't finish your game - This is OK too. Again 1 month isn't a lot of time. See how far you get and what you can learn from it. Were you over-ambitious with the number of features you wanted to add? Did you spend a long time tweaking values for boss fights only to have it not work well? That's OK! And who says you have to stop working on the game when the jam finishes?
  • Expect to toss your work away - For the essence of time, best programming practices should/will go out the window. If you find a concept you want to explore deeply, expect to rewrite the game. You don't want to work on a game 1 year later with spaghetti code you slapped together in order to beat the 1 month deadline.
  • Aim small - I can't emphasize this enough. Don't aim for creating a huge game that you want to sell, aim for a game concept you can toss away. The longer you work on it, the less likely you'll toss it away, which is bad because maybe your great game is #8, but you're still working on #1. Some great games have come out of Game Jam - those are usually not the 1st games they've created.
  • Work alone - I know making a game on your own is scary, but this is the best way to learn about your strengths and weaknesses. You will learn SO MUCH on your own, that after you've experience the difficulty of going it alone, you will be more prepared with working with other people. If you work with someone else, your strengths/weaknesses could be masked. Communication is another difficulty (time zones, miscommunication, etc) that can bog down game making.
  • Artists/Musicians - If you don't want to make a game (especially by yourself) but you want to participate, do it! I know it says "Game Jam", but I think about the time Laura showed up to a Game Jam and created Tapped Out, and that to me, symbolizes what Jams are about. Artists - create your themed art. Musicians - create the themed music. If possible, I do recommend learning an engine and creating a game - it will strengthen your knowledge of the process.

Have fun! Remember - small projects to test your ability. We are not here to judge you if you do not finish. You'd have my respect for trying and tripping!
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
Mmkay, my sister is 'pending' for a potential game-dev partner.  If she helps, that could be good because she's already spent a lot of time using GameMaker which could save time learning.

Say Shigi, I wanted to be sure about something: When you say "Leeble Game Jam," do you mean the game should be Leeble-based, or is it just called that because of the forum?  Or even if they're not the point, are Leebles still allowed?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:08:45 PM by Omni »

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
@small: Omg thank-you so much for posting all of that!! This is incredibly helpful advice (especially the stuff about not worrying about bad graphics, and making sure to keep the scope of the game simple - so SO true).

Hey guys, if you haven't already, definitely make sure to check out small's post, there is some really good information in there.  :idea:

Quote from: YoruNoHikage
Oh cool, another game jam ! My last participation was 2 months ago in Global Game Jam.

That's great you were able to participate in GGJ! Do you have any advice about jamming for the folks here?

@TP: Wow, welcome back TP! It's great to see you here again! To answer your question, small makes a great point about the benefits of working alone in her last post (as well as pointing out that it's okay to have bad graphics). I definitely recommend reading that^^ I'll also paste what I wrote earlier about teams:

As for teams, I think the goal should be individual. However, if it's a small enough team (like no more than 3 people) and everybody is doing something significant to contribute, then I might be able to make an exception (especially if those folks are pretty new to making games). I'd have to okay it first though

@Michcioperz: Awesome, welcome to the jam! And yes, please feel free to use the chatroom during the jam to talk with each other and give moral support. It's always fun to share what you're working on with fellow jammers :)

@Davixus: Yay!! So glad to see that you're participating David!

@Astragoth: Ahhh yeahhh!! I was hoping you'd want to join, because I remember you mentioned picking up a copy of rpg maker a while back ^_^ Concerning teams, you can see what Alice and I wrote about teams vs. working alone. I think since you don't have any experience with making games, I would make an exception if you want to work with someone else... however, if you're using rpg maker, it comes with so much licensed art and music that you can use, so working alone shouldn't be a problem. But before the jam starts, depending on which version you have, I'm sure some of us could give you a rundown on how to use the program^^

@Omni: Welcome to the jam, Omni! And sure, if you and your sister want to work on something together that would be fine with me (especially since you two are in the same house)

Quote from: Omni
Say Shigi, I wanted to be sure about something: When you say "Leeble Game Jam," do you mean the game should be Leeble-based, or is it just called that because of the forum?

Ah, the game does not have to be Leeble-based (I just called it that because of the forum) :)

Squall83

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »
Hey everyone! ^^

This sounds like it's going to be fun and since bad graphics are no problem I feel like participating, too. I can't guarantee that I'll have enough time, but it sounds like a fun competition to try. I hope I can keep the game simple enough, even though I am going to use RPG Maker 2000, mainly because I like putting some focus on a story, and I know that RPGs tend to be long.

Cheers
Alex

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
^Yay, welcome back Squall!

Quote from: Squall83
I hope I can keep the game simple enough, even though I am going to use RPG Maker 2000, mainly because I like putting some focus on a story, and I know that RPGs tend to be long.

A couple ideas for how to keep the scope small: Come up with a really short and simple story beforehand (think of it as the size of one questline... because that can easily fill up a month of time). Or, try to do an arc of a larger story.

Squall83

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 03:43:48 PM »
Tadaima ^^

Arigatou gozaimasu, ore wa kore o Oboiteimasu, Shigi-sensei.

I hope that was remotely correct, since I learned almost only from watching Anime.