Author Topic: Leeble Academy  (Read 5034 times)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
Leeble Academy
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »
:idea: Leeble Academy :idea:

Wise "chief" Leeble by the ever-talented naska (Emmy Toyonaga)

What is Leeble Academy?
This thread is being created in conjunction with the Leeble Game Jam as a place for folks to ask questions, post helpful information related to game development (videos, articles, etc.), and just learn as much as you can! Recently, Reives and I were chatting with Astragoth about rpg maker XP and a lot of interesting questions came up... so we figured it'd be best to have a thread (that way, if people have similar questions, they can learn from it as well). So feel free to get started using this thread! We'll try to check it as often as possible to answer questions and share anything useful we come across. Good luck, and have fun Leebles!!

Helpful Links:
(I'll add to this list whenever we find something useful)

TONS of royalty free fonts!
How to deal with the "Unexpected File Format" error message in RPG maker

Graphics Resources:

General graphics resources:
http://rpgmaker.net/resources/
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/forum/29-rpg-maker-vxace-resources/
http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/forum/7-resource-showcase/

Making fogs:
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/4933-simple-fog-event-tutorial-for-rpg-maker-vxace/
(thanks sixty!)

Pixel Resources:
http://lpc.opengameart.org/ (thanks TP!)

Icons/Sprites:
http://opengameart.org/content/496-pixel-art-icons-for-medievalfantasy-rpg (thanks TP!)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:28:40 PM by supershigi »

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
Re: Leeble Academy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 04:19:30 PM »
Thanks heaps for making this thread Laura, this is such a great idea! ^_^ And thank you for taking the time to organise the Leeble Game Jam as well, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

And now, I have many questions hehe, regarding RPG Maker :)

First off, and I'm sure I've annoyed Kan with this question a lot now haha, but it will probably be the best place to ask since it'll be written down here in the thread: but how do I go about facing the character that I can control (from his starting point), to face a certain way? For example, I want him to face up, or have his back to us.

Also, learning about variables at the moment, but the tutorial explaining it kinda goes over my head (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCF65yAARHs), and I don't think he explained it very well. That, or I just don't understand it XD I have heard variables aren't necessary to make a RPG, but I'd still like to learn how to do it / incorporate variables into my game.

I'm sure I'll have a lot of other questions as I keep learning too hehe ^_^

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
Quote from: Astragoth
First off, and I'm sure I've annoyed Kan with this question a lot now haha, but it will probably be the best place to ask since it'll be written down here in the thread: but how do I go about facing the character that I can control (from his starting point), to face a certain way? For example, I want him to face up, or have his back to us.

I'm sure there are probably simpler ways to do this (so if anyone else has something in mind, please feel free to share)... But given this is the first place in the game, it's good to have a place to "initialize" everything. Given that, here is what I would do:

1.) Make a new map that is completely blank. Set the tileset for that map to something you aren't using.
2.) I'm attaching a file to this post called "black.png"... Put that file into your "Panorama" folder (which you can find under "Graphics").
3.) Change the tileset Panorama so it's using the black.png image (Database -> Tilesets -> select the tileset you're using... there will be an option near the bottom called "Panorama Graphic"... set that to "black")
4.) Set your starting place on the new map, but make sure that there is no one in your party.
5.) Create an "Autorun" event on that map with the following information:

Change Screen Color Tone: (-255, -255, -255, 0) @20 (you're basically fading out right here)
Wait: 20 frames
(include anything else you want... for example, if you want there to be background music, you can start it up here)
Add Player: (add your main character here)
Transfer Player: (to the place you really want him to start at)

6.) Now on that 2nd map (the place you *really* want the game to start at), create an Autorun event to do the following:

Set Move Route (you can find this on the 2nd page of the Event Commands box): Turn (the player) Up
Change Screen Color Tone: (0,0,0,0) @20 (this is basically where you "fade in" ... you can set it to whatever screen color you want)

7.) One final thing: Let's have you make a switch that will get turned on as soon as all this is finished. Let's call it "INTRO JUNK" haha... Once you create that switch, do the following:

Add this to the Autorun event on your main map:
Control Switches: Turn "INTRO JUNK" ON

And in that Autorun event, make a "New Event Page" that is basically blank... except set the Condition on the left to be:
Switch "INTRO JUNK" is ON.

:)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:51:56 PM by supershigi »

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:15:57 PM »
I'm stuck on Step 4. I removed the actor from the map I was using for the black panorama, but that deleted him completely from the project. How do I go about making sure there's no one in my party?

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »
Just to be sure, did you remove the actor by going to Event Commands (page 1, right column middle)'s "Change Party Member", or actually deleting him from the F9 menu? The latter controls the game's data and is map indepdendent; you'd want to use the event command there (and don't forget to add the character back in when you need him on the next map's initiating commands).

Ben

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
@Astragoth: I have never used RPG maker, but I can tell you want variables in programming are.  A variable is simple a way to assign a name to a value.  For instance, an imaginary computer program:
my_name = "Ben";
print(my_name);

Assuming print display text on the screen, "Ben" will be display on the screen.  This would be equivalent to:
print("Ben");
Storing "Ben" in a variable allows you to save and modify "Ben". ex:
my_name += " Pickles";
print(my_name);
"Ben Pickles" will be displayed on the screen. This is because we have added " Pickles" to the end of "Ben".

In a more gaming approch, supposed we have a monster with HP.
monster_hp = 5;
maybe a hero attacks the monster...
monster_hp -= 4;
print(monster_hp);
this should display "1"

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
Oh and for reference, when I said make sure no one is in your initial party... There's a really easy way to do that:

Go to the last tab on your database called "System." On the top left of the page it says "Initial Party"... delete anything in that box.

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »
HAHA yeh I didn't delete the character from the list, though it made my work a lot easier when I did remove him. And thanks again Laura for your help before too... still can't believe you have to go through all those event commands and switches just to turn him 180 degrees right from the start of the game XD

Zeriab

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
When you start the game there is a very interesting subtle difference between using the Autorun trigger using the Parallel process trigger.

It is a difference that you really should try experiencing, so I have made a trigger demo to showcase the difference.
Try setting the starting position to be in each of the maps I have created. In each of those try starting the game with the event on the map having Autorun as the trigger, and with the event having Parallel Process as the trigger.

This one-frame difference is actually quite noticeable.
Do note that you can only have at most one Autorun event running at any given time. Parallel processes are not bound in the same way. Partly for this reason, but mostly for the one-frame difference a common pattern for setting up environmental map settings can look like this:

Erase event means erase until the map is revisited.

@supershigi:
Excellent topic idea, and I just love art.
Do note that by using a parallel process to setup a blank screen you do not need to remove all party-members. It may still be beneficial from an organizational perspective.

@Ben:
RPG Maker XP has a more restricted concept where a variable contains a number from -99999999 to 99999999 both inclusive.
Algorithmically they can be treated as pretty much any integer.

:hug:

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:07:05 AM »
@ Zeriab - I'm gonna have to try that out! When I first saw the Autorun and Parallel Processing options, I thought they were both similar. I think they still are, but that's only because I haven't fiddled around with both of them a lot yet :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

@ thread - So I'm using the 'Swamp' tileset map for swampy looking items / ground, etc, but I'd like to put some water on the map to give it more detail. Right clicking the map I'm on, going 'Map Properties', and changing from 'Swamp' to 'Beach', and clicking OK, just replaces the swamp items to beach ones.

How do I go about doing this again? (I know I've asked someone this already! haha) And thanks heaps! ^_^

SoHoInBrooklyn

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Dancing the cabbage patch in thread form.
    • View Profile
    • 60.25's :3
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
Hey Astra,
Which RM are you using? Some handle tiles & autotiles differently, which is why I ask.
I'm assuming it's RMXP. If not, sorry for wasting the post lol.

In RMXP tilesets can be set to near any horizontal height, so long as it's divisible by 32. Everything involving tiles must be divisible by 32 here. So if you really wanted, you could open up all the tiles in an image editing program, and then just copy and paste them all under each other, and you'll have all the tiles you need. Just make sure to set passabilities, and priorities, and all that good stuff.

Autotiles are different. Autotiles can be animated, but the main deal with them is that they align themselves automatically (hence the name autotiles.) So if you wanted to make a rectangle with regular tiles, with each end and the center being a unique piece, you would need multiple tiles to do so. An autotile is aligned in such a way and handled in such a way that it does this on it's own, and you can create all sorts of shapes without needing to select corner pieces, turns, etc.

You can't just copy and paste autotiles together like you can regular tiles, but you CAN mix and match up to seven of them. When you say you want to add water, I assume you mean autotiles.

First step first, press F9 to get to the database, you'll see numerous tabs, one marked "Tileset" - this is the one we want to go to.

See those Autotile Graphics options? If you change those, you'll alter your tileset peices when mapping. So if you were to remove, say, 038-Trees and add in 001-G_Water01 all pieces in the existing map containing those trees would be replaced, such as:
becoming
As you can see the group of trees in the first pic became water tiles in the second.

Other versions of RM are a bit different, but generally work on the same principals. If you were using VX Ace, for example, while you couldn't make the tileset as tall as you needed anymore, as there's a hard limit now, you could still mix and match autotiles, as well as tileset pieces.

There are other methods around these mapping limitations, to use 9 auto-tiles for example, instead of RM's default 7 or whatever, but they involve using RGSS and can be quite complex for someone who isn't familiar with the editor itself.

Hopefully that helps, and galuck.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:53:13 AM by Astragoth »
Spoiler for snazzy sig in a spoiler:
snazzy sig

Crimmy

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Tsitsimitl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 01:13:32 PM »
In case anyone has problems coming up with names or other stuff:

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-char.php

It's not meant to be used as the sole way to get names, but when you're in a bit of a need for help, this can be your "cheat sheet".
With the clicking, came the ticking
Of the page that was no more.
Quoth the Server: "404".

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 05:26:32 PM »
So my mom came over today and we are doing taxes together. Minutes after she got here, I asked her if she wanted to see the cutscene I've been working on for Rakuen. I go to open up the project, and I get the following error:

Unexpected File Format

I look it up online and find this thread where I noticed Zeriab mentions that the file is now unrecoverable. I back up my project pretty frequently, but because I was moving both my laptop and backup-flashdrive around a lot while making the last couple videos, I did not back up the game for the last week. I have no idea why I'm getting this error; there was no power outage since the last time I successfully opened it, I didn't drop the computer, I didn't mess with the files... I see no reason this is happening beyond the comment about Vista randomly corrupting files.

Regardless, I've lost about a week's worth of pretty involved work. Not just tedious work, but creative work; the kind of stuff where I'm not sure if I'll be able to recreate it exactly the same as I did before. I kind of feel like crying. 

So two things:

1.) Back up your work after each work session. This error seems to have come out of nowhere, and for no reason beyond using a particular OS.
2.) If anyone has experienced this before, do you know if the suggestion below works, and if so, what needs to be copied over into a new project file? It's been so long since I've created a new file, I'm not sure I even remember how to make it standalone, and what needs to be done to remove all the RTP...

Anyhoo, I fixed my problem, started a new project and copied all the folders(Audio/Data/Graphics in my case) from the old one to the new project. It was like nothing happened.

EDIT:

The newly restored project got corrupted again, and it was the same time as last time, the solution was the same, must be with Vista corrupting the "game" file.

The one time... the one time in two years I don't back up for a week... At least it wasn't like the guy in that thread who lost half his project. But still, it feels crappy. Back up your files often guys and girls! Even a week's worth of work can feel like you've lost something very important.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:29:53 PM by supershigi »

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »
Before you do anything else, try this: Make a new project (or the working version of the project's folder), and copy the Game.rxproj file (the one you use to open the project in editor) from the new/working folder into the broken folder (overriding the existing one there), and then run that file from there. Does it work with that?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:38:10 PM by Reives »

PanSola

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 05:33:53 PM »
ouch that sucks... Might be time to move to Windows 7 (or 8)?

ranking all version of Windows, Vista probably ranks as the second most hated/despised.