Author Topic: Leeble Academy  (Read 4518 times)

kreyg

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Leeble Academy
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 05:35:27 PM »
Oh no!  Yes, definitely back up your work!

I use Perforce - it's a revision control program, so you can store past versions of files, in case you break something or just want to undo your changes.  It's free for small teams.  There are lots of other similar programs, but I like this one.

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »
Just an addendum to my last post:

Even if that doesn't work, you could still usually recover most if not all of the work lost by copying data files from the unfunctional version into an older version. It sounds like you've lost cutscenes which were evented on maps; if so, then those are the most likely to recover (unless the map itself was a corruption point, which isn't common). You can do so by going to \Data folder, and then copy the map files (find the ones with the ID that matches with the ones you see in the editor at the bottom of the screen @ each map) to the last functional version of the project. You'd also need to copy over MapInfos.rxdata.

(Make sure to make another copy of the last working version before overriding those files with those, though.)

But still, try this first -- if it doesn't work, then I'll go into more details. Try not to worry too much yet; similar things happened to me quite a few times and there's usually a way.
Before you do anything else, try this: Make a new project (or the working version of the project's folder), and copy the Game.rxproj file (the one you use to open the project in editor) from the new/working folder into the broken folder (overriding the existing one there), and then run that file from there. Does it work with that?

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »
Thanks you guys...  :hug:

Quote from: Reives
Before you do anything else, try this: Make a new project (or the working version of the project's folder), and copy the Game.rxproj file (the one you use to open the project in editor) from the new/working folder into the broken folder (overriding the existing one there), and then run that file from there. Does it work with that?

Tried that but unfortunately it didn't work... so I'm going to test out the 2nd suggestion right now. I'll report back right after!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:46:33 PM by supershigi »

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »
Okay, with the data copying, it's good to copy over things in incremental steps so you'd know which file broke it.

1. Make a copy of the last working version of the game.

[Edit: Before doing the below, try just copying over all the Graphic/Data/Audio folder from the corrupted folder into that copy of the latest working version of the game, and try to open the project there. If that doesn't work, then continue.]

2. Copy over & override all its graphic and audio folder with the ones from the newest/broken version (since those aren't the culprit, though it's still good to try to open the project afterwards just to be sure that it's still working.)

3. Copy over & override the Data folder files (don't worry about any file starting with Map first) one at a time. After every paste/override, attempt to open the project in editor to see if it's still working.

4. If at any point the project suddenly stops working after copying over a file, note which file it is. Then go to the original "last working version", and copy that file from there to the copy you made so that you can open it again.

5. Keep going over all the files, and note all data files that cause the project to break.

6. Do so for a Map file (not touching the MapInfos file) and run the project to see if it works.

7. Do so for the MapInfos (along with a map) file and see if it works.

P.S. The game folder doesn't happen to be in your Dropbox directory, does it?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:03:13 PM by Reives »

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »
Oh my goodness, thank-you so much >_<; I didn't see your last post, so I just did what you recommended earlier concerning copying over the map files and MapInfos.rxdata (I think I only altered 1 or 2 graphics files, so I copied those over as well) into the most recent functional version, and it seems to be working!!

I'm curious though; since I didn't see your most recent post, I actually ended up copying maps 291-302 over all at once rather than incrementally (I also didn't copy over the entire graphics or audio files)... is that okay?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:26:21 PM by supershigi »

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 06:36:26 PM »
Okay, good. :thumbup: And yeah, that's okay; the reason for the 1 at a time copying is so you'd know which one has issues in case one does and not the others, but if it's working altogether, then there's no need.

The graphics and audio folder can be copied over if there were new stuff put in them since then; there shouldn't be anything problematic in there.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:38:25 PM by Reives »

Zeriab

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 05:23:30 AM »
I come across as such a jerk in that post wrote nearly 8 years ago -_-
Let me put some more meat on the subject and complement what the dear Reives already wrote.

RPG Maker game data corruption
Reives talk about the most typical cause of corruption. Something going wrong during the save routine in the RPG Make editor. I suspect the editor first allocates the required space for the file with whitespace before writing the actual data to the file. Before when getting the "Unexpected File Format" error one of the files contained only whitespace. The file size was reasonable.
Should this be the cause then it is very likely that few if not only of the files are affected, thus making Kan's procedure a good approach for investigation and salvation.

Do remember that we are actually saving the data on a physical media. They can fail. Bad sectors can happen. Virus or other malfeasance can occur. Ending up in a situation where nothing is salvageable is entirely possible.

Backup is important
Backing up your game is a way of mitigating and managing the risk and impact of losing data. I recommend taking both what I call active and passive backup. Active backups is in my eyes any backups that a virus make reach from your computer. Making copies of the game on your hard drive is an example. By passive backups, I mean such as burning down your game on a hard drive, or having say 5 USB sticks that you keep using in a round-robin fashion. Should you be unlucky and get a virus or ransomware it is extremely unlikely that more than one USB drive will be affected. Ransomware is basically the same as a disc-wiping virus with the addition that it tries to make you throw away money as well. (Never pay, you cannot trust that they will actually hand your stuff back, nor that it will as it was before)

Uploading to Dropbox or similar services, I would call a form of active backup, though should they have versioning that is another layer significantly reducing the likelihood of actually being reachable. Bonus here is that the data will be unaffected by your house burning down. Using multiple services perhaps some more frequently than others can also decrease the likelihood of losing too much of your work. A downside by using multiple internet backup services is one of theft. Basically you will have a greater risk of leaks.

Taking backup takes time, particular the passive variants. Try to find the right balance for you. I may for example only take a passive backup once per week while I make active backups up to several times per hour. RM is unfortunately not very well suited to normal version control systems due to the prevalent binary nature. Even then having one is worth considering.

Sorry for wall of text, I just want you all to avoid another gut-wrenching moment.
:hug:

TP

• That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 03:30:30 AM »
For everyone searching for Icons/Sprites:
http://opengameart.org/content/496-pixel-art-icons-for-medievalfantasy-rpg

This is a great pack that is licensed as public domain so you can use & modify it however you want. (I know I´m going to ;))
Maybe give credit to the original author even though its not technically required  :thumbup:
I´m back.

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 01:14:27 AM »
Cool, I remember those icons from quite a while back, but never knew they were public domain. Thanks for the confirmation!

And great post, Zeriab. :) Dropbox's saved me so many times; the fact that it can retrieve any past versions saved makes it so handy in recovering mishaps. I just wish there's a way to automatically return a whole folder to a previous time at once.

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
Does anyone have any good suggestions for screen color tone values that would make for a pleasing night color? Specifically, in Rakuen towards the end you go to a "Star Night" festival... I want it to feel like night, but it could still have some light due to the fact that there will be lots of lanterns and what not to keep the place colorful. The player spends a little while there, so I don't want the color to be straining on the eye, or too difficult to navigate. Any help would be appreciated, as I've tried so many different color values so far and I don't really care much for any of the ones I've chosen haha...

@TP: Thank-you for the link! I made sure to add it to the OP ^_^

@Zeriab: I agree with Kan, that was a great post! Since Dropbox no longer works properly for XP, I have a couple flash drives I'm going to be rotating out to backup the game whenever I work between Vista and XP.

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 06:27:20 PM »
The night tone might be relative to the ones you use for other times of day, but for me, I tend to use around (-34, -17, 0, 51) (the odd values are just from the auto-stop values when clicking). I think the most important part is the greyscale -- most of the time folks try to overemphasize the artificial blue tone, but it's really the increased greyscale that pronounces the nightishnessthing. Add some negative ("sub" setting) fog to that, and it should be one option for it.

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 03:06:23 AM »
I'm getting a headache over the problem I'm having at the moment. It's really 2 things which I'm pretty sure are the same problem.

I've tried to do it myself, and when that failed, I looked up video tutorials and RPG forum tutorials, and now I'm here cause I've no clue... anyway, here's the problem:

My character has to find an item hidden in a bush, to progress to the next map. But I want it so it won't LET me progress until I find the item I'm after.

Also, I have a key that is hidden in a chest that will unlock a locked door. How do I make it so the game knows when I've picked up the key so it can let me through the locked door?

Thanks everyone in advance! ^_^

Zeriab

• Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 11:40:41 AM »
I have created a little demo showcasing a solution to both your problems: https://www.mediafire.com/?hmoa6oe2em7797s
It starts in the bush implementation. Set the players starting position in the 002:Chestor map to try my chest implementation.

Try playing around with it a bit and see if it helps.
Feel free to ask questions, though I recommend battling a bit with it on your own first.

@Reives & Shigi:
Aww, thanks :3
I will be happy if this means you won't loose more than a couple of hours of work.
Following the train of thought onto players and their save data there is stuff we can do. I'm think about writing up about that, though no promises.

:hug:

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
Hey Zeriab ^_^

Just wanted to thank you a REAL bunch for helping me out with these problems, you're a lifesaver! :D

And I've been able to work it out on my own, but thanks for the offer in assisting me further :)

:thumbup: :idea: B)

Charybdizs

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »
Here's a nice technical question for you all!

Let's say my game needs to be resolution independent. Like, it needs to be 16:9, so I render everything to a texture that's 1920 x 1080 pixels, and then letterbox that accordingly to fit the screen on any aspect ration. That's awesome, and that works great! It LOOKS alright.

Herein lies the problem: if I'm rendering (and therefore calculating) all of the game logic in a 1920 x 1080 space, and the player has a 1600 x 900 resolution, when I get their mouse coordinates (X and Y of the cursor's position), they will NEVER exceed the size of their screen. This means that they won't be able to move their mouse past the 1600 mark of the 1920 size render.

I'm... not sure at all what to do about this, and the problem doesn't lend itself easily to search terms. Any suggestions? I just dunno how to tackle this.