Author Topic: Leeble Academy  (Read 5024 times)

kreyg

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Leeble Academy
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 11:09:55 PM »
I'm... not sure at all what to do about this, and the problem doesn't lend itself easily to search terms. Any suggestions? I just dunno how to tackle this.

If your aspect ratios match (i.e. both 16:9):
mouse_x_virtual = mouse_x_actual * 1920 / screen_width
mouse_y_virtual = mouse_y_actual * 1080 / screen_height

That will give you the position in a 1920x1080 coordinate space regardless of screen resolution.

If you are letterboxing, you will also need to scale along the axis that has the black bars - so, if you are putting a 16:9 texture on a 4:3 screen:
mouse_y_virtual -= 1080/2
mouse_y_virtual *= (16/9)/(4/3)
mouse_y_virtual += 1080/2

Or... something like that, not sure that's actually the right conversion between aspect ratios.

Note that in that case, you will get mouse positions less than zero and greater than 1080.

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 11:04:07 AM »
I've been trying to find some school tilesets - specifically lockers, a cafeteria-like canteen, and a noticeboard - along with a drinking fountain to use in my 2nd game (with permission from the creators of course :), but all my Google searches have come up empty.

Meaning, I've found plenty of school tileset links (registered on the official RPG Maker Forums too), and pretty much all of them need RPG Maker VX / Ace to use them. Am I wrong in thinking these tileset versions aren't backwards compatible so I can use them with XP? Also, a lot of the School Tilesets that do look promising are in Japanese, and using Google Translate doesn't help me find a readable download link anywhere.

I've also used the resource links here too at the top of the thread, but no luck there either. So here I am, hoping someone can please help me with what I'm looking for. Thanks heaps, I really appreciate it! ^_^

Also, I've been working on another problem I've had for a few days now that I'm just so frustrated I've given up on the problem until later. Basically, I want an NPC to patrol up and down a hallway repeatedly. I can get him to move down the hallway (that's the easy part), but making him stop and walk back up I just can NOT figure out (he just keeps walking at the edge of the screen XD).

I know it has to do with Switches somehow (I still get confused between normal and self-switches), and I'm pretty sure this problem is so easy, but I'm missing something really crucial here. RMXP tutorials online don't help - I looked up one where some guy had an NPC move while talking, and even trying to learn what he was doing, while trying to input what he was doing and making it suit what I wanted in my game still didn't help either.

I've tried '1 Step Forward', 'Move Down', 'Wait ** frames' Set Move Route commands, I've put an event where I want the NPC to stop and turn around (with switches and self-switches, editing the NPC's event so he recognises that switch), and still nothing. I'm seriously missing something here.

Pretty much the point is, static NPC's I've done plenty of. I've no clue how to make an NPC move. But yeh, any help on this would be great, and you're welcome to dumb it down for me so I can learn how to do this better ^_^

Regarding the picture below and how I want the NPC to move, I want him to move from where he is now (the top left, middle NPC), to move down to the highlighted green circle following the red line, then turn around, and move back up the red line to the 2nd green circle, one grid square above his original position (where he is on that picture). Then he'll turn around and repeat the same process over and over.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:10:47 AM by Astragoth »

SoHoInBrooklyn

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Dancing the cabbage patch in thread form.
    • View Profile
    • 60.25's :3
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 08:20:32 PM »
Okay first thing first...
Am I wrong in thinking these tileset versions aren't backwards compatible so I can use them with XP?
Correct & wrong-o.

You can not plug n' play VX/A into XP, nor put XP into VX/A as is. The tilesets simply won't work. But all you have  to do is take all them tileset pieces and put them into one image. Export a tileset, because I don't remember how wide they need to be in XP, but you can make a tileset effectively as tall you wanted (I wouldn't, but you know-) and you can just keep pasting the VX/A tiles into a canvas set to the maximum width, and however tall you want (so long as it's divisible by 32) and you're good.

Also, I've been working on another problem I've had for a few days now that I'm just so frustrated I've given up on the problem until later. Basically, I want an NPC to patrol up and down a hallway repeatedly. I can get him to move down the hallway (that's the easy part), but making him stop and walk back up I just can NOT figure out (he just keeps walking at the edge of the screen XD).
Umm, okay, unless I'm missing out on something entirely- you just set the move route. Move forward 1 step several times, as many as you want, and then turn 180 (or 2 turn 90 degrees left or right, as you will) and that's it. The event will constantly repeat moving forward and back.

If you deselect 'repeat action' in the move route it won't repeat.
If you select 'ignore if can't move' then whenever anything blocks it's path (including hte player) it will skip to the closest available moveroute. So that could hurt the deal, because if it was to move foward 8x after moving forward, it would. Even if it only went down 2 squares. If you leave that deselected if any block, including the player, stops it from moving it will wait for the path to clear, then continue on it's way as if nothing happened to interrupt it.

So, yeah, I'm either completely wrong on what you were asking (apologies) or that's it in nutshell hopefully lol.
Spoiler for snazzy sig in a spoiler:
snazzy sig

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 12:18:02 PM »
Just wanted to reply here to say a big thanks to both SoHo and Reives for your replies and helping me out with this frustrating problem ^_^ You guys are awesome, and hope you both know that! :D I've already responded to Reives, so just wanted to reply to SoHo's post here :)

"But all you have to do is take all them tileset pieces and put them into one image. Export a tileset, because I don't remember how wide they need to be in XP, but you can make a tileset effectively as tall you wanted (I wouldn't, but you know-) and you can just keep pasting the VX/A tiles into a canvas set to the maximum width, and however tall you want (so long as it's divisible by 32) and you're good."

I'll be honest, I wouldn't really know where to start with doing this. Saving the image and exporting the tileset I know, but I'm unsure as to the last part on setting the canvas set (what's that? haha), and setting the height / width for the image. In short, you'd have to dumb it down for me ^_^ Either way, that's probably something I'd do if I exhausted all other options on looking for a certain tileset I needed, but it's good to know there's another way to go about getting a tileset, so thanks for letting me know :D

"Unless I'm missing out on something entirely - you just set the move route. Move forward 1 step several times, as many as you want, and then turn 180 (or 2 turn 90 degrees left or right, as you will) and that's it. The event will constantly repeat moving forward and back."

I actually tried doing this on the first few attempts to make the NPC move. For some reason, the NPC in question, no matter what Move Route I gave him, is that he just ended up walking down to the bottom of the screen, and just stayed there, with the walking animation still in effect. This is when I started to realise that the only way for the NPC to stop and turn around was that I needed some sort of Switch. Reives directed me to use a new Event Page, which I had completely forgotten about! XD So with the switches and the new event page, I was able to get the NPC to patrol up and down repeatedly, woot! ^_^

Now, to make the 5 other NPC's move where I want them to hehe :) Thanks so much again SoHo for taking the time to type out your post as well, it's very much appreciated! And to Reives heaps as well! Thanks also for the School tileset links, that definitely helps a TON! I know you're a busy guy, so it really means a lot to me that you were able to assist me with this and take the time to explain :D  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:25:47 PM by Astragoth »

SoHoInBrooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 02:43:09 PM »
No, if this is not a cutscene or minigame there is no "require" a switche about it at all, you're bogging everything down very badly, sorry.

This is simple movement?
That's it? You put in move forward, etc, etc, turn, and kept the check next to "repeat action"?

You didn't make an event to control this that's on like parralel process or autorun, right? (IE: event003 is what you want to move - but you're making event004 do it? if for regular generic rpg movement DO NOT do this.)

You didn't edit, remove or add to any script controlling movement in the script editor right?

If you answered yes to all of those - and your event isn't working properly, there's a mistake in the event processing. -Or, alternatively, I really simply just don't understand what you're trying to do, and am thinking your trying to do something much, simpler.

There should be absolutely zero reason to make an event turn around with a script - unless your doing some kind of minigame like mechanic. Even in a cutscene you do not need a switch for this unless you're trying to override something else, which you shouldn't be doing at all at this point.

Can I see the event processing via screencap that you're trying to do? Cause honestly your work around makes no simple or logical sense. There are reasons to use scripts for movement, but if your doing basic, you're gaining 0 pros and gaining at least half a dozen cons for every time you go to do it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 02:46:05 PM by SoHoInBrooklyn »
snazzy sig

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »
The new page for the move command wasn't to turn around, but because the walk pattern requested involved walking 1 step down before repeating a 10 steps down -> 10 steps up pattern. So the first page was simply to do the 1 step down to enter the pattern circuit, and the 2nd page starts the pattern.

As SoHo said, simply repeating down and up without such asymmetrical movements shouldn't require any new pages or switches at all; just steps down + up in the movement command should do. Something silly probably got forgotten if it didn't (which is natural when starting to use the program). :)

SoHoInBrooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
Ooooh I totally missed asymmetrical movement, okay yeah- there are other ways to do it, but that's probably the easiest way for someone unaccustomed to things.

Okay, got it, cool lol
snazzy sig

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 05:05:51 PM »
Mm. I find it to be the safest way to do it too, since the other ways using a single page (correct me if I'm wrong) involve movement commands in the actual event commands page instead of the built-in movement page -- which would mess up any otherwise-useful "Wait for movement completion" commands in any events / common events active in that map either now or potentially added later.

I'm kinda curious what the original code looked like to not have the repeating movement work though. :gasp: