Author Topic: Astragoth's 'Leeble Jam' Thread! ^_^  (Read 1715 times)

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
Astragoth's 'Leeble Jam' Thread! ^_^
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »
So after looking at a few Dev Log threads here on the forum to get an idea of what I should include here in my own log, I'm kind of a bit lost. (optional jam theme pun not intended).

This is my first ever go at making a game in any sense of the word, I don't have a fleshed-out story (yet), but I do have a few ideas that will hopefully make it in.

I'm still playing around with RPG Maker XP that I'm using to make my game, but I do have a few maps I've made so far that will hopefully grow into something cool as I learn how to do stuff (Leeble Academy ftw!)

Anyway, here's a rough first map of Tarsa Forest (might change it later if I think of something better hehe), including a sky-like crystal NPC that greets you early on :)

I'll update with more stuff as I keep making my game! ^_^

P.S. And I'm super excited to be doing this too! :D

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:04:18 PM by Astragoth »

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Astragoth's 'Leeble Jam' Thread! ^_^
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »
Haha no need to feel lost! This is your personal dev log so you can write whatever you like... think of it as your own personal game journal; if you get the urge to share something ("oh oh I can't wait to tell people about this new Illidan scene!!") you can post and we'll check it out^^ Or if you're upset and need to vent because your character is stuck and can't move... or you just want to brainstorm story ideas... Basically, there's no wrong way to do it :)

Oh, also for some reason I can't see your Tarsa Forest screenshot (let me know if you need help with forum code or uploading images or anything like that).

I'm super excited for you, Astra! Really glad you're learning rpg maker :)

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
... or you just want to brainstorm story ideas...

Funny you say that, since I've been trying to think of a story that fits with the theme. I got inspiration from the nice cool and windy day we are having here in Aus, but it got blown away (really? :S) when I knew someone else had kinda done this idea already.

So I'm curious, when an idea you're having is too close to a story you already know, do you try and find a way around it - maybe change a few major points so it's still unique in a way? Or do you ditch that idea entirely and try and think of a whole new story?

Oh, also for some reason I can't see your Tarsa Forest screenshot (let me know if you need help with forum code or uploading images or anything like that).

LOL, and as of typing this, I just remembered how to do it XD Hang on, I'll go change it, thanks for letting me know ^_^

"oh oh I can't wait to tell people about this new Illidan scene!!"

Pretty sure this thread would implode on itself and the time-space continuum would be disrupted if I said that, I'd be so excited haha :P

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:05:50 AM »
Quote from: Astragoth
So I'm curious, when an idea you're having is too close to a story you already know, do you try and find a way around it - maybe change a few major points so it's still unique in a way? Or do you ditch that idea entirely and try and think of a whole new story?

Hmm... it really depends. I think if your version of the story has enough defining characteristics on its own, then it's fine to go with it. I mean, if you think about it, certain stories have been retold countless times throughout history. Plus, this is a game jam, so if this is a story you feel comfortable working on, then I think you should just have fun with it (provided that you aren't directly copying something to the point where it would be considered plagiarism of course)!

Also, nice screenshot! I love how you got the rain in there :)

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:40:33 PM »
Go Astra!

Illidan would be pleased...
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.

Crimmy

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Tsitsimitl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »
This looks nice Astra, you have to keep us posted !!
With the clicking, came the ticking
Of the page that was no more.
Quoth the Server: "404".

kreyg

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »
Looking good Astra!  Keep it up, I'm in need of some Illidan loooooooovin'  :D

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 11:40:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys ^_^

So after my computer's power supply died 3 days ago, I had a lot of time to plan out the story, and the maps that might go with my game (though I got a lot of creative block I just didn't want).

After discussing my game with.....my brain, I'm going to make it simple, with maybe 4 or 5 different maps, and a narrative-driven story, so it will be more linear and you won't have much control on where you want to go, but it's a start for my first game as well as learning more of the ropes of RPG Maker.

There will still be certain NPC's, and maybe a few items you will still be able to interact with, but since I will be making the game kind of a fixed story, yeh there won't be much deviating from the path as it were.

I'm just glad I figured out that making the story first, then making the game maps around THAT, would be a lot easier than making the maps first, then finding a good enough story to fit said maps :)

Ben

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 09:32:32 AM »
looks neat!

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »
That sounds like a really great plan, Astra. Keeping it simple like that is really helpful, because once you've got it all finished, it's much easier to see the project as a whole. And I've found that this allows you to fix things and add extra parts in ways you might never have thought of before ^_^

I'm just glad I figured out that making the story first, then making the game maps around THAT, would be a lot easier than making the maps first, then finding a good enough story to fit said maps :)

Haha, nice! Another thing to tell yourself if you ever get tripped up: Since your scope is reasonable (4-5 maps), if you learn new techniques throughout the course of the month, you can always go back afterwards and revamp those maps later. I end up doing that a lot! I'd make maps that were functional; and later on (after learning new techniques), I'd gradually go back and improve things ^_^

You're doing great! And it sounds like you've already learned so much since this all started. We'll be cheering you on!!!

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 05:54:37 AM »
@ Laura - Yep, that's what I'm counting on in regards to keeping it simple ^_^ And thanks for the support too! :)

@ thread

I'm both very relieved and happy that I finally thought of a little story to go with my game, and am now editing the maps I've made so far to fit with that. Luckily, the maps I made go pretty much with where I'm heading overall, so editing is minimal :)

While I wasn't happy with what I was making at first, I had a good long talk with myself and decided because it's my first game, going simple and making a few maps, and adding in a little story to go with it - essentially what I said earlier in my thread - , as well as just having great fun that I was making something new (and making a game nonetheless even if it's complete crap HAHAHA!), this also basically shows everyone in a sense what I've learned thus far, and learning from whatever I might of done wrong / missed.

As one of my favourite TV characters once said - "You learn more from failure than you do success" ^_^

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »
As one of my favourite TV characters once said - "You learn more from failure than you do success" ^_^

That's a good attitude to have! And it's good you had a talk with yourself - I do that a lot. Basically, it is your first project, and it's very easy to get carried away and make your project bigger and bigger. And remember, you can/will work on more projects in the future.

One month is not a lot of time - but at the same time, a deadline is great because otherwise your project can go on and on and never end...the point of game jam is after the deadline, you are free to toss the project out (a reason to stop working on it, stop perfecting it) because geez, if you can get this much done in one month under pressure, imagine if you had more time to think of an idea and design it (now that you know the basics of the game engine). So don't get too attached - it's ok...unless something about it calls you back.

Because your next project will allow you to grow even more - you'll learn more about what the engine is capable of and you'll be in a better position to do design.

And then your next project will allow you to grow even more - you'll learn more about what the engine is capable of and you'll be in a better position to do design.

*recurse*  :)
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »
I told myself a few days ago that if I keep making maps, I'm never going to get my game done. So I've cut the total number of maps in my game from 4 down to 3, which has helped a lot in planning the actual playing bit, since the first 2 maps are basically done - gotta change stuff like water that I can cross over, when in fact it should of been impassable since I accidentally put it in a seperate layer that wasn't Layer 1, map transitions I forgot to change from 'player interact' etc.........haha, basic stuff :D

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »
gotta change stuff like water that I can cross over, when in fact it should of been impassable since I accidentally put it in a seperate layer that wasn't Layer 1, map transitions I forgot to change from 'player interact' etc.........haha, basic stuff :D

Just wanted to double check and make sure you got the water-above-the-player thing figured out! Remember: When something appears above the player, it's probably a "priority" issue. To fix that, go to your Database->Tilesets->Priority... then make sure that tile doesn't have a number on it.

You can do it, Dean!! I know at times making games (or anything that requires focusing and putting your energy into it) can be frustrating (totally been there, haha)... but if you get through this and even have a short project for us to experience, you're gonna feel so good. I'm already really proud of you for trying something new, and for learning so much over the course of the month!! No matter what, you have already gotten something out of this process whether or not you realize it :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:02:28 PM by supershigi »

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 07:19:20 AM »
Staying up all night to finish this game. I know that's bad, but I feel like I'm so close to ironing out bugs and finishing this :), that sleep doesn't sound so important at the moment HAHA ^_^

Yes I know. I'm crazy, but this will be worth it :)

Hopefully will update here when it's pretty much done ^_^