Author Topic: Jammin' with 60  (Read 2399 times)

SoHoInBrooklyn

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Dancing the cabbage patch in thread form.
    • View Profile
    • 60.25's :3
Jammin' with 60
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Hell, bunch of other people are going for it, might as well myself. So... this'll be... awkward. Did I spell that right? Awkward always looks so, well... awkward? Also I still have no idea how to do devlogs, ze art alludes me~

I've decided to ignore the engines and genres I know best, and to dive into something completely new. So I'm going with a platformer in either gamemaker or stencyl. I've never tried a platformer, so... yeah... But I figure I can possibly put 3 simple stages together, maybe 4, and call it done (Notice I don't say call it good~ :3)

Spoiler for story/stages:
Something along the lines of a groundhog, currently given the name Mr Perrywood, who lives in a land that has been in a nearly complete winter for the last 4 years. Ya see, Mr Perrywood is responsible for bringing spring, but he's a little bit of a coward and his shadow got away from him. Either because some evil wintery force took it, or simply because it got free, I'm still working out that kink in the story. His children have never seen spring, and his wife, Ms Perrywood, reminds him of this, and tells him how their kids asked her what a flower is, and shames him into growing a spine and setting out to reclaim his shadow, and bring forth spring.

Though it of course can't be that easy. He gets lost along the way and falls into a hole, down into Mole Town. Just so happens that Mole Town isn't the friendliest place, and so stage one involves trying to get out of Mole Town. The residents, mostly moles but not entirely, have a bit of a vendetta against Perrywood. After all, he's the reason that there's been winter for four damn years! That and the fact that when winter came, and never left, Charro the snake moved into Mole Town, and kinda took the place over. I mean, whose going to stand up to a giant damn snake and his rat minions when you're a simple mole miner?

But if he perceivers Mr Perrywood  might make it out of Mole Town, and get to the Beaver Dam. The beavers are a bit more forgiving, they at least don't throw garbage at Mr Perrywood as he walks by, but they won't help him either. He needs to get over the damn, which of course is inhabited by nasties of some sort (Rats again? Iunno...) And... well... okay so there's a kink here too...

But moving on, Mr Perrywood can find himself at the forest. And then if that doesn't end it, he'll find himself at the mountains. And that'll be the final showdown where he can finally reclaim his shadow, prove once and for all he isn't scared anymore, and can get things back to normal by heralding spring into the l'il land o' animals wearing clothes.

Spoiler for characters & concepts:
Mr Perrywood

(just mock ups)
The hero of the tale, whose naturally inclined to cowardice. He has to over come his various fears to get to bring spring and life back into the land.
I want him to have a briefcase, as you can see, but I have no idea if it'll serve any purpose or only be in an intro or whatever.

The Perrywood family: Ms Perrywood & the children
Ms Perrywood refers to Mr Perrywood as honey. Probably is referred to as honey as well by him. This way I don't need first names, and it's odd to hear a married couple saying Mr/s unless they're doing a skit. Essentially is the reason Perrywood plucked up the courage to go into the wilds, and she is supportive but is a bit tired of her husband's recent 4 year cowardice. The kids on the other hand are just set pieces. They're probably just going to be background.

The Moles

(Again just mockups)
The enemies of Mole Town are meant to invoke dealers, pimps and prostitutes because... I'm an idiot and thought of Mole Town as this dark lost place that Perrywood would remember as something good and happy, and now is ridden with crime and sadness... and I thought a sign reading "Earth Worm and Fire: LIVE IN CONCERT" next to a sign that read "NAKED MOLE RATS XXX" was absolutely hysterical so... *sighs* yeah...
There would be helpful moles as well, I just haven't gotten around to them yet.

Charro the Snake
A giant snake who will be the level boss of Mole Town. Uses the lighting/heating to warm himself while the four year winter is raging. Has a few rat minions, though that might be cut. Basically he's big enough that he can tell others to do what he wants or he'll eat them.

The Beavers
Hard working industrial people who are friendly, but still hold a grudge and that's all I got. But of course their stage would have lots of water and if I can figure it out moving platforms as you have to go through the construction site of their damn.

The White Owl
Intended to be the ultimate or penultimate boss, in my head, who is a snowy owl or some such. Is enjoying this winter, doesn't want it to stop. Plus he thinks Mr Perrywood looks absolutely delicious.

The goodly Owl
This owl would be either a barred owl or some horned owl, and actually be the typical wise owl type at the end who aids Perrywood in some big way.

Spoiler for gameplay:
Ahh, the most important part! And the one I thought the least on, why?!
Platformer, obviously, and I really want to make the enemies varied and different, but I think I'm going to go the safe route. Since I'm still learning as I go, they'll probably all be very basic, and probably only have a few different bases for actions and behavior, with reskins instead of several being unique to each other.

I don't know what Perrywood's attack would be, if he'll even have one. I thought of the idea of using the briefcase, in more than one way. Of whacking moles on the head with it, as well as using it as a shield to deflect projectiles, but I don't know if I can do that well enough or not. So, yeah, I'm going to try to figure that out a bit later, and with that figured I'll consider the enemy patterns and fights. Really wanna see what I -can- make this time, instead of trying to patch together something I really shouldn't be trying yet. So yeah, basically gameplay? WHAT gameplay?!
Spoiler for snazzy sig in a spoiler:
snazzy sig

kreyg

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Jammin' with 60
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »
The moles... :D  Very nice!

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:57:55 AM »
Oh my gosh, what a cute and creative idea for a story! I really like this. I don't think I've ever seen anyone extrapolate on the groundhog-shadow ritual before, and I think it's really cute how he has to go through these trials in order to have this final showdown with his shadow in order to bring back spring.

And naturally, Mr. Perrywood is and the moles are adorable. I think my favorite Perrywood is the 2nd from the right... he looks so aptly mild-mannered, like a salaryman who doesn't want to get into trouble.

Very awesome, sixty!

SoHoInBrooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
Hey kreyg, and thanks :3 I wasn't very sure about them.

Also a  thank you to you supershigisunshine. I'm glad Mr Perrywood comes off that way, I really wanted to give him that kind of look... well, that or some door to door salesman down on his luck, I was having a hard time deciding which to go for, but am currently leaning to the idea that he should be white collar.

Oh, and the whole ground-hog shadow ritual play, I forgot to note (though it's in my credits text) that it is not entirely mine. NekoThePyro, whom you may or may not remember from spongen, actually came up with a big part of that, back when the concept was Sir Perrywood the Groundhog, champion o' the springtime fair. I was always thinking of using the shadow as part of the concept, but she was the one who came up with him having to chase after it, though she was thinking more along the lines of Super Mario Sunshine's Shadow Mario. Though I'm not doing that, and have a very different idea coming in, it really wouldn't be what I'm doing if it wasn't for that convo, so big props to Neko.

Okay, I've got a health system in place, though I haven't gotten the health reviving bits, nor do I know exactly how I'm going to handle lives, or if they'll even be lives. Perhaps you'll just continually restart the stage (things repeating? on Groundhog's Day?! Who woulda thunk it!) or whatever. And candies! Candies heal you. Candies always make boo boos feel better~

So cause every project of mine has a "Chocolate Lanterns" from when I wanted to open up a candy stall with someone, as a joke mostly, those are the most powerful healing item. Little chocolate lanterns with almonds in the shape of the flames, it woulda sold dozens! So yeah, chocolate lanterns are full healers, and of course rarer than the rest.

Mama Constantine's Hard Maple Candies, Sparrow's Brand Apple Sweets and Hoppy Frog Brand Original Cricket Delights all heal you to different amounts. Of this group the Maple's being the best, the cricket delights being the worst. The Hard Maple and Cricket Delights would be equally uncommon.

I just don't know how to set this up, be it you defeat an enemy and there's a chance of a candy popping out or if you come across them in preset areas, or have that slightly randomness. Maybe due like the old Hudsons, you jump in front of specific tiles and they pop out. Or a candy selling NPC you can buy them from (if you don't attack them that is.)

Also are the possibilities of tricks, like the poison mushroom these would hurt. These would be candies that Mr Perrywood deeply doesn't enjoy, such as Horntoad's Sour Lemon & Peanut Butter Wickeds.
BTW Horntoad is a character in the game, he's one of the rats (not a lizard lol) who works for Charro the Snake. Also I misspell Charro earlier it should be Chara.

I've also got my test stage done! A little green block representing Mr Perrywood moving around a black and red background, jumping around and having a wonderful blocky time~
snazzy sig

Arwym

• Citizen (Level 2)
  • http://arwym.com/profile/
    • View Profile
    • Arwym's Domain
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
Whoah!

Please, take a look at my Dev Log. We are coming up with slightly similar ideas. My game is also based on Spring traditions/mythology, for which I am incorporating a groundhog character as well. Mine is more into Celtic mythology, though. :)

I am looking forward to this one! <3

SoHoInBrooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 12:39:47 AM »
Yeah looks like we both thought of something similar, but I kinda wish we could trade. Going along a labyrinth to find spring just sounds awesome(r) lol.

Today's update:
I wanted to get a lot more done today, but I got the level test at least even if there's an awesome hysterical bug (leap on an enemy, and you go on an infinite trip flying upwards until you hit the stage end lol, and never come down.) Between yesterday and today I don't even have any real tiles done, just this:

My tree top looks like shrubbery so I guess I got shrubbery done. My tree trunks aren't done/are shoddy. At least I like the clouds & moon. Too bad they won't be animated lol. I don't know how to do background animations yet, and that's really more of a final touches thing I'd say.

Iunno, I'm just having trouble with this one. Even simple concept parts I'm just really, really struggling with. I'm having difficulty designing enemies. That's ALL I DO in most every other project/commission: design/sprite creatures, redesign your creatures and sprite them, and things along that nature. I am mr. creature feature. Though crim has been -rightfully- beating me out on the creature features lately XD

I need to find my negative. Get sadder and angry again. Too much damn positivity right now. Never did have a good positive reinforcement response, always thrived in negativity/drama. Life got too darn pleasant. Damn you life, damn you and your pleasantries.
snazzy sig

pokusan

• Shroom-Guard Elite (Lvl 10)
  • I'm just a simple guy looking for a better world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
Friday the 13th Part 2? ;)

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »
Dood Soho/60, you write such a funny narrative!

I got the level test at least even if there's an awesome hysterical bug (leap on an enemy, and you go on an infinite trip flying upwards until you hit the stage end lol, and never come down.)

Ok, THAT got me laughing so hard! Oh that's so awesome! It'd be cool if we could get a collection of bugs at the end of the jam, so people can share their experiences.

I need to find my negative. Get sadder and angry again. Too much damn positivity right now. Never did have a good positive reinforcement response, always thrived in negativity/drama. Life got too darn pleasant. Damn you life, damn you and your pleasantries.

Well, I WAS going to say that those groundhogs are amazing....
I was expecting you to create bloody/monster/vampire groundhogs with gruesome gritty organic appendages.

*says a compliment in an insulting voice*
Well GEEZ! You SURE did a great job showing how well-rounded YOU are! Sheesh...
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »
Quote from: small
*says a compliment in an insulting voice*
Well GEEZ! You SURE did a great job showing how well-rounded YOU are! Sheesh...

Ahahaha! The "compliment with an insulting voice" thing cracks me up so much. I keep imagining Stormey telling Kreyg he's a good father with that sarcastic angry sound XD Hey sixty, "GOSH, way to make such good sprites ALL the freaking time, argh." Haha!

Quote from: small
It'd be cool if we could get a collection of bugs at the end of the jam, so people can share their experiences.

YES!! That would be awesome. Oops, I mean "uh, that would be awesome... hah!" :)

^Oooh, my favorite part is how the clouds are partially covering the moon. I'm amazed by the eerie feeling you're able to create with such a limited amount of colors.

SoHoInBrooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »
Pokusnaps, at some point I was going to do a spring time killer murder mystery game, so maybe that's a hold over~

small, lol, I really am fighting the urge to do something gross and dark and evil. it's not easy... Also :3 thank you for the insult~

Thanks shigi shigi cocoa pop, shigi shigi pow. I didn't want it to be eerie, but I guess I can't get away from that lol. But I think eerie works better for that one, so that's cool :3

I didn't get a chance to work on anything today, but a friend of mine who does a lot of beatbox and old like quartet harmonies and stuff and things like that, might end up doing sound effects for me. Which makes me think a cool gimmick of lazy acapella loops and stuff for the music might in fact be awesome~
Chances are that'll fall through, but still, it's worth a shot. Someone actually going "Whooo~" for huge jumps and stuff XD
snazzy sig

Charybdizs

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »
I know I said it on IRC before, but I should say it here too: I'm getting a real kick out of this!

I love your sprite-work, and honestly wasn't expecting something so cute and well made out of this jam. I showed your mole thugs to a few friends of mine from the Spriter's Resource, and they liked it too.

Also, it's worth noting, I think using the briefcase as a weapon is a fantastic idea. :p

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 11:10:23 PM »
Quote from: Charybdizs
Also, it's worth noting, I think using the briefcase as a weapon is a fantastic idea. :p

YES!!

SoHoInBrooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 01:56:39 PM »
lol well thank you both.

I've hit a bit of a dead end, as I'm not sure what to do with these wanna be boss fights.
Primarily because I'm still trying to build the basic game mechanics. Outside of a basic attack and jump, things of that nature, I'm a bit... unsure. My idea for the Chara boss fight (snake at mole town) is really not working, because I don't think I can program that.

I was thinking of having it be set in, of course, a locked room. Holes in the walls, ceilings and floors. The snake comes out, and of course is HUGE. Like, way too big. Cartoonishly long.
It was planned so that it would come out of one wall, and scoot around the empty space as you try to bang it on the head with your briefcase, and then go into another hole. The body of the snake would this whole time be a platform you can get trapped in, jump/walk on, etc.
The snake's head would appear in another hole, and come out and repeat, as the old snake body from last appearance slithered into the first hole, so to not crowd the screen, but...
I have no idea how to program this, so I'm trying to come up with new ideas. Since it's a holiday, and I'm home alone feasting on Chinese take out and playing fetch with the dog (I love holidays, only time I'm alone lol) I'm gonna probably watch some gamecenter cxor something for ideas.

Soooo yeah... cutting back on the ol' ideas.

EDIT:

This is what sixty does when he gets stuck. These are just mock ups, and are not intended to be finished products.
A rat enemy for the beaver area, and a... lucha libre something or other..?
I have no idea what that was meant to be. A bear cub wrestler? Iunno lol.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:35:01 PM by SoHoInBrooklyn »
snazzy sig

Crimmy

• Tsitsimitl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 08:49:13 PM »
Well, what about something like an inverted Dullahan-esque lamp, where instead of a head or face that has light, instead there's a receptacle that looks like a lamp but holds his shadow? Or bits of it?
With the clicking, came the ticking
Of the page that was no more.
Quoth the Server: "404".

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 04:15:54 PM »
Quote from: sixty
I have no idea how to program this, so I'm trying to come up with new ideas.

Ah, I've been in similar situations where I've wanted to do certain boss fight mechanics, but didn't know how to program those things! What are you able to do right now in terms of programming? Perhaps if you let us know your parameters we could help brainstorm some mechanics. I love the mechanics you came up with the snake boss so far; I'm sure there's something that can be altered so that it's doable within your system. I keep thinking of snake-type monsters (or basically, anything with segments) from Zelda and Megaman games; I'll post the ones I'm thinking of below in case it helps generate some more ideas!

The lucha libre enemy is great :P

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjWBlcxLGxE

Start the one below from 2:15:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=loLjKehBAAM
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:36:04 PM by supershigi »