Author Topic: Squall83's Leeble Jam Thread: Helen's Adventure  (Read 2685 times)

Squall83

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
Squall83's Leeble Jam Thread: Helen's Adventure
« on: April 12, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »
First I wasn't sure whether or not I should create a thread at all, as I don't really know what to do with it and since it's my first game, I am not even sure if I can complete it. But then I realized that this is a Jam, as in "playing music together", and it would be kinda weird to develop it quietly and then present the finished game.

I am going to create an RPG. Helen, the elf, is being asked for help by a fairy, because the evil wizard has stolen their water crystal. They need their crystal especially now in spring, because each year, when winter leaves, they perform a magical ritual, thanking mother nature for everything and this way the recharge on their magic (which they can't do without the crystal).
So Helen sets off to find some comrades to help her get the crystal back.

My engine of choice is the RPG Maker 2000. I've been using it for various small projects (with horrible mapping), so I know my way around it. As for the licensing: I tried to find a way to buy it, but it seems like there is no seller around anymore, but as there is no license holder in Germany I think it's pretty much like an Anime fansub, i.e. it's technically ok to use it. And since I have no option to buy it I find it morally ok as well.
But I'd understand it if the game couldn't be part of the competition because of that. I will create it either way.

The RTP characters have kinda grown on me in these ~15 years, so Helen is standard hero 8 and she will be supported by Alex and Brian (and maybe others). I am going to try to make this game fun, e.g. by giving the characters some quirks. :)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Squall83's Leeble Jam Thread: Helen's Adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »
Welcome to the jam, Squall! I like what you mentioned about "playing music together"... And that's fine if you aren't able to finish. I think a good thing to keep in mind is that a month (or half a month if you're just getting started) is a pretty short period of time, so it's best to do something with a small scope. So if you're doing an rpg, maybe limit it to like a short story, or the first dungeon or something like that. Or if you want it to be part of something bigger, maybe think of it as the first chapter or arc... that way you have more of a chance of finishing something.

Anyways, your idea sounds cool and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck ^_^/

Squall83

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips! I thought that when I interpreted "jam" like in "playing music together" it was the intended meaning. Did I get it wrong?

I will mainly have time to do it on week-end, because I am working on the PC all the time, so I'll really have to keep it as short and simple as possible.

Also I think I might be getting into creating games again, so maybe I'll try out some of the free engines or I might even buy one of the newer RPG Makers, because 2000 has quite a few limits, e.g. the level stops at 50 and you can't use graphics from other ChipSets for an event. Seriously, for the first map in my game I had to mix 3 different ChipSets together, just because the one I wanted didn't have any flowers. Also if RPG Maker 2000 says that an imported Face Set has a transparent color, then you have to way of telling him that you don't want any color to be transparent. You have to choose one. Even if you convert the pic to 24-Bit bmp format (which is a format without alpha channel afaik). Those graphical issues were quite annoying to get around for my game (the level thing won't be a problem ^^).

I'll just have to take the time to look up differences between XP and VC Ace before I decide on which one I want. Also I think I'll ask the vendors whether they allow paying customers to use the RTP from all older engines as well, because the ones from 2000 have kinda grown on me (and I know that a large part of the community hates them, because everyone uses them, but I like them anyway^^).

P. Yoshi

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:38:58 PM »
It's a jam, it's all about having fun!

Also, as for an RM engine, VX Ace has tons of support and it's purchasable on steam. (Actually, did they add XP to steam?) Though, I've always really enjoyed the style and smoothness of RM2k.

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »
Quote from: P. Yoshi
(Actually, did they add XP to steam?)

I think so! Astra pointed out to me that the price was reduced to $25 :)

Quote from: P. Yoshi
It's a jam, it's all about having fun!

:thumbup:

Squall83

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »
Oh no, they sell it on Steam? Does that mean I can use it only if I run Steam, too? Whenever I want to play Life is Strange, Steam is starting, too, and I don't like having to be online to use a software. And afair it was the same for Portal, too (I bought the Orange Box).

Well, for now I downloaded the Lite version of VX Ace. It's an official free version with limits like "10 events per map", "60 weapons" etc. I'm excited to get to know this one, because I read it has a map generator and a character generator.
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/free-programs/rpg-maker-vx-ace-lite

Zeriab

• Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »
You can buy XP at their website or on Steam
You can buy VX Ace at their website or on Steam

Steam must be running for you to use the Steam versions. You do have the option of running Steam in an offline mode, but personally I find it tedious.
When buying the Steam version do note that there is a single DLC (music pack) for XP while there are soo many DLCs for Ace.
My RPG Maker VX Ace version takes up 10GB, and this not counting projects mind you. No idea what the price is.

Pricing is a factor, XP is cheaper after all. Additionally I personally prefer the feeling XP's mapping gives off more naturally. (It can be duplicated in ACE, it's just more bothersome)

Edit:
Whoops, didn't see that you have downloaded Ace Lite. That's actually an awesome idea. The restrictions may well serve to your advantage in a game jam such as this. :D

:hug:

Squall83

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:24:36 PM »
Thanks, that was really informative. So the Steam version of Ace needs Steam all the time, but Steam doesn't necessarily need the internet and the DLCs are only available for Steam versions... oh man, that's going to be a tough choice.

I won't use Lite for this Jam, because I'd need to start over and get to know Ace and it's too late for that. But I'm going to use it afterwards. If I find the time to create some small games, I'll be sure to post them here. ^^

Zeriab

• Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 10:13:38 PM »
You can buy resource packs here: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/resources
I don't know whether there is a 1-to-1 relationship between what you can buy on Steam and what you can buy there.

Good luck with your project ^^

Squall83

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »
Thanks again for the hint! The free resource pack on Steam has a broken link, and I didn't compare the pay resources. I admit I don't like that they charge extra for every little addition, but a big company probably can't survive otherwise, though it would be nice if at least a few of their DLCs would be free.

But I don't really care, I googled a bit and found http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/19312-vxace-resource-showcase-directory/]this[/url].

As for my jam game: I finished all the maps I planned to do, but I still need to finish thinking up my story. I am optimistic that I can do it now.

Zeriab

• Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 02:32:03 AM »
Oh, they do actually release free packs: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/files/category/22-resource-staff-releases/
Not sure whether you need to create an account to access those though.

Good to hear about your game progressing will btw. Keep at it :D

nicktendowii

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Hello Nicktendowii here :)
    • View Profile
    • Nicktendowii's Youtube Channel!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 06:53:49 AM »
Try downloading the trial from RPG Makers site rather than steam, before the trial expires they should send you an email with a discount code! It worked for XP and I ended up getting 25% off and it's much better having it as its own program rather than on steam, don't have to worry about being online or logging in and can install it in different places as well!

Squall83

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »
Again thanks for the infos!

Guys, I think I won't be able to make it after all. I planned on finishing it last week-end, but I ended up playing Dungeons & Dragons with my friends until late at night. I am definitely going to finish the game, probably next week-end, but it will be too late for the competition. But it's ok, it has been fun to go into game-creation again thanks to this jam.

Your games look really interesting and I am going to play them once they're done. And of course I'll share mine with you once I finish it.