Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2016  (Read 1157 times)

SuperRoo

• Shroom-Druid (Level 11)
    • View Profile
NaNoWriMo 2016
« on: November 01, 2016, 03:30:08 PM »
For anyone who is participating this year, just a thread to post about your progress, ask questions, or otherwise vent about the process. And of course, to cheer each other onward!  :turtle2:
Bring me a shrubbery!

SoHoInBrooklyn

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Dancing the cabbage patch in thread form.
    • View Profile
    • 60.25's :3
Re: NaNoWriMo 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 05:20:05 PM »
I started earlier today with a story about a mellificating serial killer boogeyman named Sugar Russ lol. I have zero expectation I'll do well this year lol.

Hope everyone else involved does well though, and gets their write on.
Spoiler for snazzy sig in a spoiler:
snazzy sig

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Chosen Seer of Lystania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
Good luck, everyone ~<3~! 

NaNoWriMo is one of the events I'd love to participate in at least once before I die. But like every other year so far, "Not this time!"

I look forward to reading about Sugar ;)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:39:28 PM »
Quote from: sixty
I started earlier today with a story about a mellificating serial killer boogeyman named Sugar Russ lol.

Oh my! Mellificating... is that like "mellified man" like the candy that bufkus wants to try?

SoHoInBrooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 09:06:12 PM »
Yeah, in the urban legend a mellified man was someone who willingly sacrificed themselves for the good of others, by effectively becoming medicine. They partook of honey to such degree that;
A) it caused them to excrete 100% pure honey (as sweat, urine, poop, etc...)
B ) it killed them.
Then after the death they would be sealed in a stone coffin of sorts that was filled with (you guessed it) honey, for 100 years. Then when opened the confectionery like substance that remained in the coffin would be a super magical honey treat that basically was an panchrest, effectively capable of healing practically any injury (and in some version any ailment at all.)

Li Shizhen (I hope I got that name right, going from memory and not double checking sorry) wrote of it in a book, as basically one of those "I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who knew a guy, that said in Arabia---" kind of things, and apparently was quite forward about the whole "might not be true" thing.

There was certainly never a mellified man ever made, and even the concept of fakes and false claims seem like a completely rubbish and modern joke (kind of like buying unicorn meat pies.) Mummia tonics and dyes seem to be the closest we got (using the remains of dug up mummies of Egypt and other places to make 'medicine' and to create a once extremely popular shade of brown paint) but it's always an awesome concept to play with (even if you're purposely distorting it and using it wrong to create a fake bogeyman.)

Personally I'd much prefer fake long pig to fake mellified man.
Or the real long pig to a real mellified man, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:08:16 PM by SoHoInBrooklyn »
snazzy sig

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
So Sugar is a serial killer via honey?

SoHoInBrooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 11:15:30 PM »
More that he -is- honey. Sorta.
Kinda...

I have no idea, no details or plans ahead of time so I'm making it up as I go, and avoiding thinking too much on it lol.
snazzy sig

Crimmy

• Tsitsimitl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 07:35:50 AM »
Who's 3100 words behind?
I am!

You guys can, and seeing how this novel is also going to be college project, I'm super pumped to go through with this 110%

Today I'll get some words going!
With the clicking, came the ticking
Of the page that was no more.
Quoth the Server: "404".

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 02:20:24 PM »
Just dropping by to cheer on the writers! You can dooooooooiiiiiiiiiit~!!!

:pompoms: :pompoms: :pompoms:

I'm actually really curious how you embark on something like this. I've always wanted to participate, but I feel like I wouldn't even know where to start. Do you make an outline first? Or figure out how to tell the story by dividing out chapters? Do you just jump right in and write spontaneously? I'd love to know everyone's thought process when it comes to getting started.

leprous hare

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
  • Leeble Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
For this year, I am writing a never-ending sci fi story about a high school class that gets transported into another world where they have to survive and figure out how to escape. I'm posting it online so you can read it here:

https://saddeathnight.wordpress.com/

Crimmy

• Tsitsimitl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »
Just dropping by to cheer on the writers! You can dooooooooiiiiiiiiiit~!!!

:pompoms: :pompoms: :pompoms:

I'm actually really curious how you embark on something like this. I've always wanted to participate, but I feel like I wouldn't even know where to start. Do you make an outline first? Or figure out how to tell the story by dividing out chapters? Do you just jump right in and write spontaneously? I'd love to know everyone's thought process when it comes to getting started.

I think most go into writing just like that, and take their time afterwards to clean it up (in events like Camp NaNo and other stuff)
With the clicking, came the ticking
Of the page that was no more.
Quoth the Server: "404".

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 05:57:37 PM »
Quote from: bufkus
For this year, I am writing a never-ending sci fi story about a high school class that gets transported into another world where they have to survive and figure out how to escape. I'm posting it online so you can read it here:

https://saddeathnight.wordpress.com/

I am consistently amazed by how bufkus finishes the 50k (is it 50k?) words every single year. I was glued to one of his novels from start to finish (so much so that I was sore from sitting for too long in order that I could finish it, haha).

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »
A stunning endorsement. I will have to look into those works when I can.

Shigi - I think artists come at it from all those angles. I have no idea if any one is most successful, but learning to just write and write and write, even if the words don't come out as anything other than manure is supposed to be helpful, because you frequently push through walls and reach some good stuff that way, when you might otherwise have convinced yourself there was no worthwhile writing to be had that day.

Myself, I've tried all those methods, just never in a NaNo!

Campnoodles

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • I'll belive you, you dont have to tell me how
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 06:24:22 PM »
Well I have 8 full pages of notebook paper from two days that is about 3k words... Im not even close XD

With love
   -Noodles

SuperRoo

• Shroom-Druid (Level 11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 07:52:31 AM »
Thanks for the cheers! I have slacked and am behind. I go into it with a small idea and then literally just go with the flow of writing. The year I finished this worked really well. This year I am finding myself a little stuck. I'm worried that this particular story may be more of the "short story" variety rather than the novel kind. I hope I can find enough words and plots to make it go long enough. :)
Bring me a shrubbery!