Author Topic: The Official 2017 Leeble Game Jam Thread!  (Read 2905 times)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
The Official 2017 Leeble Game Jam Thread!
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:56:47 PM »

"Panky" and "Cora" Leeble portraits by the super talented naska (Emmy Toyonaga)

About:

The Leeble Game Jam is an event where you work to create a small game based around a theme that's been chosen by the community. You will have from January 1st until January 31st at 11:59pm PST to get as far as you can!
  • You are encouraged to work individually. However, if it's a small enough team (no more than 3 people) and everybody is doing something significant to contribute, then I might be able to make an exception (especially if those folks are pretty new to making games). Please make sure to check with me first if you haven't already.
  • You’re free to use any tools or engines to create your game (Game Maker, RPG Maker, Unity, etc.). You’re free to start with any base-code you may have.
  • You’re free to use 3rd party Artwork/Music/Audio assets, or assets you previously created, so long as you have the legal right to do so (do not use sources such as art ripped from commercial games, or film soundtracks).
The Theme:

The theme with the highest number of votes, and the theme for this Leeble Jam is: NEW BEGINNINGS.
However, I'm also adding an optional sub-theme, the 3rd place winner: CLOTHING.

Prizes:

As with events like NaNoWriMo and Ludum Dare, the main prize is your product. To quote the Ludum Dare website:

...you have a game now. What are you going to do with it?

The being said... there may be special awards given... >_> <_<

Helpful Stuff:

Quote from: TP
Maybe we could open help threads during the Jam (one for programming/scripting, one for graphics/animation and one for sound/music?)  :idea:

Quote from: Crimmy
I'm willing to help with art and anim, just how like TP is willing to help out with the script/code stuff

^That's fantastic, guys! I've set up child boards for Programming/Scripting, Art/Animation, and Audio in the Tutorials/Help Section.

Read This! Good advice about jamming from Alice

Leeble Academy - A place to ask questions, post information, and learn about all things related to game development!

IRC Chat - Throughout the jam, please feel free to use our IRC channel to chat! Ask questions, vent about a bug that's driving you nuts, share how excited you are that you got the menu working, or just support one another!

Dev Logs - Each person participating in the jam will be allowed to create their own dev log for their game. You can use this as your personal space to brainstorm, share what you're working on (screenshots, general ideas, code, etc.), and give us updates on how it's going! But remember... as I mentioned in this thread: ***the game itself should be your central focus! I've seen far too many examples on rpg maker forums where people spend exorbitant amounts of time making their thread look flashy and pretty, and they never finish anything. The thread is to help propel the game, not the other way around ^_^

FAQs:
Spoiler for Questions!!:
Q: It's called the "Leeble Game Jam" so... Does the game have to include Leebles?
A: No, we just called it that because of the community.

Q: Can we work in a team?
A: You are encouraged to work individually. However, if it's a small enough team (no more than 3 people) and everybody is doing something significant to contribute, then I might be able to make an exception (especially if those folks are pretty new to making games). Please make sure to check with me first if you haven't already. 

Q: Is it okay to team up with non-forum members?
A: As long as you've checked with me first about working in a team, then yes.

Q: I missed the deadline, can I still participate?
A: Yes! This is all about having fun and flexing your creative muscles, so please feel free to join in even if you're starting late.

Q: Is it okay if my game's protagonist is a Didgeridoo?
A: Yes, Astra.

The Jammers:
(let me know if you want to be included on this list!)
Spoiler for We be jammin':
SoHoInBrooklyn
kreyg
Lysaea
Campnoodles
Ben
TheFlyingMarlin
P. Yoshi
nicktendowii
JuuNi
Strawfairy
Crimmy
Astragoth
PanSola
SuperRoo
TP

Good luck and have fun!!

:tea: :hug: :turtle: :flowerbush: :turtle2: :umbrella2: :indileeble:

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
Re: The Official 2017 Leeble Game Jam Thread!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 11:36:13 PM »
YAY! ^_^ Thanks heaps Laura for writing up the thread, linking to helpful information threads, etc, you're awesome! :D

I'll definitely try to make a good game :D

Also Laura, I have a question regarding the protagonist of my game----------

Q: Is it okay if my game's protagonist is a Didgeridoo?
A: Yes, Astra.

Oh, never mind, thanks Laura! ............................................. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA XD ^_^ :P

P. Yoshi

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 12:00:41 AM »
I'm super excited, I started formally working on a story when it was clear new beginnings was going to win. With clothing being a sub-theme it's perfect!

Crimmy

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Tsitsimitl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:31:20 AM »
I might work with someone from outside the forums. When they get back to me to tell me yes or no, I'll let you know.
Also, I just wrote a quick intro to character design and offered my services in the help section
With the clicking, came the ticking
Of the page that was no more.
Quoth the Server: "404".

Strawfairy

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:06:10 AM »
*realizes current game ideas don't fit any of the themes*

*panics*

nicktendowii

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Hello Nicktendowii here :)
    • View Profile
    • Nicktendowii's Youtube Channel!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:04:08 AM »
*realizes current game ideas don't fit any of the themes*

*panics*
Haha same here! Time for a re-think!

Zeriab

• Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:01:40 AM »
Good luck everyone, everybody and everyleeble!

First thing that came to my mind upon when I heard of the theme was that through the cloth of life new beginnings arise. (Moirai/norns for personification)

Hmm... still don't think I will participate, so instead I will cheer you on from the sideline

Krystal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
Good luck to everyone participating! ^^ I'll be too busy this month, but can't wait to check out the games!

New beginnings + clothing... should be interesting :D Has anyone thought of ideas yet?

Michcioperz

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 10:12:59 AM »
I feel an urge to make a cookie clicker clone, a leeble clicker perhaps? Gotta research what precisely leebles do for a living

Maybe they could buy clothes for the currency?

(I'm so bad at this sorryyy)

PanSola

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
New beginnings + clothing... should be interesting :D Has anyone thought of ideas yet?

My brainstorming starts with new bikinis

nicktendowii

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Hello Nicktendowii here :)
    • View Profile
    • Nicktendowii's Youtube Channel!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »
Hi Laura and fellow forum folk! I hate to bring bad news but I don't think I'm going to be able to participate in the Jam this year. I have so much on at work and I'd rather spend my free time at the moment working on my own game and my kickstarter which is on until the start of February. I'm sure you all understand!

Hope you all have a lot of fun and make some great games! I'll be sure to try them out :D

:broom:

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »
Hi everyone! I just wanted to let you know that I've been checking your dev logs pretty much daily (I try to write comments whenever I can). It's really great seeing how much progress you guys have made! There are about 10 days left in the jam... and while that doesn't sound like much time, just think about how Ludum Dare is only 2 days in total! The amount of time you have left, is about 5x that!

:pompoms: :pompoms: :pompoms:

Anyways... just here to cheer everyone on^^
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:42:00 PM by supershigi »

TP

• That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »
Alright my game SMS is officially out!
You can find information and the download link on the first post of my Devlog:
http://www.supershigi.com/forums/index.php?topic=1371.0
Should take max. 30min to complete  ;)
Can't wait to play the other entries when I'm home later!  :D
I´m back.

PanSola

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 09:23:30 PM »
https://www.roblox.com/games/637013754/PanSolas-New-Starting-Place

Basic Controls:
WASD = movement
Space bar = Jump (also if you need to get out of a chair)
Mouse right drag = camera movement
Mouse left click = interact (inventory)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't have time, so this is just the default sample map using the "New Starting Place" template (fits the theme right?) with zero edits
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:36:53 PM by PanSola »

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm going to compile everyone's entries and put together a big thread this week - If you haven't already seen my email, I'll copy and paste what I wrote below:

Thank-you to everyone who joined in the event, it was a lot of fun following along with your dev logs and reading all the different game ideas^^ Even if you weren't able to finish your game, I'm still happy that you participated (whether you partially finished, or just cheered folks on).

If you have a finished game, please make sure to send me the following as soon as possible so that I can post it on the final thread (either via PM or to supershigi at gmail):

1.) A link to the game
2.) A brief description (you can write whatever you like)
3.) A screenshot

If you didn't finish your game, you're still welcome to send what you have so far! Some concept art or screenshots along with a brief description of your goals would be great.

Again, thank-you for participating and for supporting one another through the month! You guys are so awesome :) I was watching from the sidelines while Emmy and I worked on stuff for Rakuen (perhaps next year I'll be able to join the jam, too) :3