Author Topic: General Questions  (Read 2765 times)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
General Questions
« on: January 02, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
Hi everyone! I figure since several folks are thinking about using RPG Maker in order to create their jam game, I'd post a help thread for this topic as well. I'm only familiar with RPG Maker XP, but I know there are other people here who have used newer versions. If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to post them here and (if it's something I can field) I will try my best to answer! 

Zeriab

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
Re: General Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 02:46:21 AM »
Good idea Laura  :)
I can also try to help you guys and girls as I have bunch of experience with RPG Maker XP. I also have some with VX Ace so I may be able to help with that as well.
Technically I have some experience with MV, but I don't like it so I don't want to help with that.

SoHoInBrooklyn

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Dancing the cabbage patch in thread form.
    • View Profile
    • 60.25's :3
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »
Zeriab, go learn MV despite your reluctance and dislike of it so that you may help me exclusively~

Seriously though, Zeriab is awesome and full of incredible advice. If any of you non-zeriab peoples has questions and gets a response chances are it'll have all your answers and more.
Spoiler for snazzy sig in a spoiler:
snazzy sig

Zeriab

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 03:30:34 PM »
Aww, you smooth-talker you <3
You almost make me want to crack open MV, but only almost.

It may still be worthwhile to write a topic should you get stuck. The process of writing the topic itself may be enough for you to figure out how to progress.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:41:14 AM by Zeriab »

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Chosen Seer of Lystania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 07:20:59 AM »
*EDIT* - Nevermind, I realized right after posting this that I was commenting out code incorrectly. If anyone else needs to know ever, it is in the Game_Event script, on line 64. *EDIT*

I have an RPGMaker VX Ace question (I've been dying to get MV, but have not).

There is a "feature" built-in to the eventing somewhere that makes it so that when a player "talks to" an event, it automatically turns to face the player. I wish to turn this off, but can't find it in the scripts. Anyone else already experienced this and know where to find it?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:25:51 AM by Lysaea »

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Chosen Seer of Lystania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »
Ended up with access to MV thanks to a bundle.

The projectile scripting system that I've been making for my latest personal project in VX Ace was successful in creating objects, but not in drawing them to the screen. In a fit of potential stupidity, I'm about to start reworking the whole project into an MV one instead. Unfortunately the 6 or 7 sprites I have worked up won't match the standard creation system, but hopefully it won't be any harder to modify than VX Ace's was.

Also, I am fairly familiar with javascript, so I hope to understand a greater proportion of the code going in.

Of course, after about 50 hours of work, I was getting pretty familiar with VX Ace's ruby, too -_-

Does anyone who has used both MV and VX Ace have any helpful comments about trying to move from one to another?