Author Topic: Javascript RPG engine  (Read 4793 times)

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Chosen Seer of Lystania
    • View Profile
Javascript RPG engine
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:25:27 AM »
I am thinking that after my Oh, Kami project is done with coding, I would like to work on a Javascript RPG engine that is as easy to use as RPGMaker but runs natively on the web and is easier to customize.

I would REALLY like it if I could find a way to export RPGMaker assets directly to the engine so that games built in RPGMaker could be recompiled to run on the Web.

I know there are quite a few RPGMaker wizards on here - does anyone have any resources they suggest I use?

And do y'all think this is a worthy project?

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
Re: Javascript RPG engine
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:55:48 PM »
While I'm not really an expert, I think it might be better to use HTML5.  I do know that a lot of people disable Javascript in their browsers due to security issues.  I haven't learned HTML5 myself, though I've seen some of the things that have been made in it and have been pretty impressed.

I'm pretty sure the latest version of RPGMaker does allow you to export games to the Web, though don't quote me on that since I don't have the latest version.  Still, a standalone web game maker might have a good market.

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

Ben

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
Current browsers have an api for reading files bytes directly in javascript, so if you found out how rpg maker saves and reads its assets you could reproduce that in javascript.

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:32:57 PM »
Ben: good to hear. I was thinking I might have to do some "hacking" of the files to understand their structure, but hopefully I can find more info and not have to try that route.

Omni: HTML5 uses javascript.

You might be thinking of Java Applets which aren't as popular anymore I believe.

Strawfairy

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »
RPG Maker MV runs on Javascript and can be played on browsers.

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation of that, Strawfairy. I have Ace, I believe and have tinkered with another in the past but didn't know about the most recent.

Have you tried any systems editing? I know past RPGMakers are kinda opaque and difficult to mod. If MV is too hard to mod I may move ahead anyway.

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 10:57:31 PM »
@Lysaea: No, I definitely know the difference between Java applets and Javascript (though I know how it can be easy to confuse the two).  My issue is that I've never touched HTML5, so I had no idea Javascript was part of it. XD

Though that said, I would like to reiterate that a lot of people use browser extensions to disable Javascript for security/privacy reasons.  If nothing else, such pages would need warnings that the extensions would need to be disabled.

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 05:58:19 AM »
K. Sorry if I came off snide? You are correct about javascript - in my Design Club, if one ofy kids tries to use Internet Explorer or Edge or whatever, they jave to carefully watch their window to let their projects through. my cosponsor was teaching her coding students javascript and didn't realize that is one of the reasons I like Chrome and had to come to me for help when no one's code was working at all.

I certainly haven't bothered with that kind of message yet for Oh, Kami! but I am sure it won't be too hard to implement.

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »
You know what they say about JavaScript vs Java:  One is a toy and the other is a scripting language for the web.

Zeriab

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 05:06:15 AM »
I recommend RPG Maker MV as well.
The source code fort the game is fully opened while the editor itself is still closed.
Buying MV also means that you have positive confirmation on being able to use all RTP resources for all makers you own in MV.

Omni is right about people browsing with JavaScript disabled. HTML5 has a <noscript> tag for giving information to those who have disabled JavaScript (or are using a browser that does not support JavaScript)

@Ben: Both are toys and can be fun to play with. Both have jokes played at their expense, sometimes for good reasons. Generally, you can say one is for the backend and the other for the frontend. For client-side scripting only one is relevant.

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »
Ben - cute. I hadn't read that before. I am fond of javascript, and have never really used java (I tried once. Sorta. I was too busy, I guess). I wouldn't call it a toy, though. That seems so dismissive. People have made great things with it.

Zeriab, if the source code is fully opened, that sounds great. You probably can't edit on the cloud in a browser, though, huh? I know how many RPGMaker projects have gone south due to reformats (I lost one, myself that way.)

Price tag looks pretty... steep, though.

Zeriab

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • Occasionally kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 01:34:15 AM »
I recommend following the backup strategy as I outline here: http://www.supershigi.com/forums/index.php?topic=1183.msg27529#msg27529
A proper backup strategy, and a diligent execution of said strategy, can reduce what you risk loosing quite a bit.
Losing an hour or a day of work is much better than loosing months of work.

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
@Lyseae: Very true.  I don't think it is a toy myself, I was just being silly.  I think all programming languages have their strengths / weaknesses and things that they are good at.

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »
Oh, totally Zeriab. I try to keep backups, too ^_^ Mainly, I just save important stuff on a dropbox-type program, like you say. I used to keep tons of thumb drives, but those just go missing >.>

Better for OS installs anyway, at least if they are a reasonable size.

Building *ON* the cloud helps automate the backing-up, so I enjoy doing that when I can, and I thought it would be cool to be able to design in an rpgmaker type environment in a browser. Cloud development that you can do from any PC you find yourself at? Useful for students without laptops, anyone with access to a library with internet... I just would like to see it happen eventually.