Author Topic: Sky Surfer  (Read 3473 times)

Akira

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
    • View Profile
Sky Surfer
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:33:42 AM »
Play Here https://halfjapanesedude.itch.io/sky-surfer

Description Try to keep a derpy hamster alive on your magical flying surfboard. Note that this game is intended to be quite difficult (similar vein as "Getting Over It" or "QWOP")

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Chosen Seer of Lystania
    • View Profile
Re: Sky Surfer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:58:42 PM »
Ha! The most I can get is 29 XD

Cute and fun. The music reminds me of Chip and Dale for NES

Unnamed

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
  • Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »
LOL, congrats! :D It's pretty hard, but I like the idea. ;)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 12:45:15 AM »
Omg haha I cracked up several times while I was playing this, it's really fun XD In that first section where he starts slowing rolling backwards on the surfboard, I would always start laughing - especially if I messed up, making it look like I was intentionally smacking him into a tentacle with the surfboard lol!

At some point I encountered a bug where I hit the hamster off the screen, and I could just keep going indefinitely. I was going to post a screenshot and pretend that I had a ridiculously high score, but figured this feedback might be more useful lol^^ Anyways, great job - that was a lot of fun!

Quote from: Alzar
Play Here https://halfjapanesedude.itch.io/sky-surfer

Looking at that URL... are you also half-Japanese?

Akira

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »
Omg haha I cracked up several times while I was playing this, it's really fun XD In that first section where he starts slowing rolling backwards on the surfboard, I would always start laughing - especially if I messed up, making it look like I was intentionally smacking him into a tentacle with the surfboard lol!

At some point I encountered a bug where I hit the hamster off the screen, and I could just keep going indefinitely. I was going to post a screenshot and pretend that I had a ridiculously high score, but figured this feedback might be more useful lol^^ Anyways, great job - that was a lot of fun!

LOL xD The game came from a game jam where the idea was to make a lemmings like game where you have to guide the hamster to a goal area, but when I was experimenting with Unity physics I found it really funny just to launch him around so that ended up being the game, haha. Thanks for the bug report! I was thinking of porting this to mobile if I could figure out a control scheme that would work so it'd be good for me to fix up that issue. Although it would have been really amusing to post a super high score! Most people give up around 20 xD I think I'm the only person who has gotten above 100 >_>

Looking at that URL... are you also half-Japanese?

Yep yep! My mom is Japanese and dad is Caucasian, though I seem to have the hapa genes where I look 'not quite white' but not really all that asian either. But yeah, I think being hapa is great :D I just need to keep up my Japanese language skills... Nihongo o benkyou shinakerebanaranai
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:31:22 AM by Alzar »

orochii

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:36:08 AM »
I once got past from the part on your gif, and another one got to that exact same spot. The thing with this game I guess is keeping calm, develop better strategies, and for the love of something don't freak out like me, I just start spamming A/D when I know I'm screwed xD.

It's a really fun game, I like the visuals and the idea of the game.

Now let me see if I can expand my critique to cons... Maybe not make the music restart after dying, it's kind of annoying in the long run, I guess. And... yeah that's pretty much it. I guess it's an experiment, I feel there is missing fluff (achievements, better title screen or something), you could try and expand it, but whatever the case is a very nice experience :^D. I like it very much.

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »
Oooh, yeah, you could fluff it!

For instance - if you were looking for a long-term playable by any but the QWOPiest - you could add a second mode of gameplay that uses a points accrual system of some kind that allows for "skill" upgrades or the like to somehow make it easier to control somehow?

Maybe even give the board LASERS for shooting the tentacles!

Akira

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 12:00:22 PM »
I once got past from the part on your gif, and another one got to that exact same spot. The thing with this game I guess is keeping calm, develop better strategies, and for the love of something don't freak out like me, I just start spamming A/D when I know I'm screwed xD.

It's a really fun game, I like the visuals and the idea of the game.

Now let me see if I can expand my critique to cons... Maybe not make the music restart after dying, it's kind of annoying in the long run, I guess. And... yeah that's pretty much it. I guess it's an experiment, I feel there is missing fluff (achievements, better title screen or something), you could try and expand it, but whatever the case is a very nice experience :^D. I like it very much.

Thank you for the feedback :D I ran out of time during the game jam I made it for so there's not a whole lot of polish (I think a high score board of some sort would be nice) and the unity scene just reloads when you restart instead of resetting properly, which I was okay with because the song doesn't loop properly anyway xD But yeah great ideas if I ever try to port this to the phone!

Oooh, yeah, you could fluff it!

For instance - if you were looking for a long-term playable by any but the QWOPiest - you could add a second mode of gameplay that uses a points accrual system of some kind that allows for "skill" upgrades or the like to somehow make it easier to control somehow?

Maybe even give the board LASERS for shooting the tentacles!

Hm interesting, that gives me multiple ideas -- extra points for doing tricks, more game modes that is more like a shooter where you can throw the hamster around to pick things up and shoot things with the surfboard...Interesting thoughts!

Lysaea

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
Dood! You could put the hamster... in space! It could be a giant miniature space hamster!