Author Topic: MegaFillers  (Read 2724 times)

Unnamed

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
  • Hello?
    • View Profile
MegaFillers
« on: March 16, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »
Hello guys,

I hope it's not a crime to post my game here - I guess you're expecting adventure games, but this is just a little table game - however the section's description doesn't really restrict what kind of game should I post.

So this is my biggest game project, MegaFillers:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megafillers/

It runs on Windows XP and above, and Wine. (Maybe it runs on older Windows systems as well, but I haven't tested that.) It is completely open-source, written in Delphi IDE.

Actually, it served as a kind of sandbox for me - as you see, the game itself is not a big deal. Though I added some extras those maybe weren't really necessary if I look back. Like annoying self-update and announcement system, network playing support, multi-language support... and I think that's all. o_o

I even took the time to write a little documentation for it:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/megafillers/index.php?title=Main_Page

I have pleasant memories of this game after all. Even though I needed to beg people to try it or make translations for it, and no one has contributed custom tables for it so far. :D Actually, I saw a game titled "Fillers 3D" that had the same rules. There are several reasons why I decided to make a little clone of it. For instance, the original one switched to full-screen mode, and I wanted something simpler that runs on your desktop, like a minesweeper. Also, the original one had an unforgivable bug. :P And I wanted to practice. Moreover, I was composing a CD for a girl, and I thought it would be nice to have this little surprise on it. I was implemented updates for it year to year, but I don't really think that I'll work on it further.

So this is the story... you could check it out if you feel like to. You can tell your honest opinions. I take negative feedbacks as well.

Thank you in advance,
Unnamed

P.S. for admins: The section's title is mistyped - "Homeade" should be "Homemade" I guess. :P

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MegaFillers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:52:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing this :)  I'd love to check it out -- I'm kind of curious, what kind of game is it?  Would you say it's a puzzle game?

zombifier25

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
  • Dont' ask me about games... I'm inside one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »
Wow, it's cool that you came up with a puzzle game. It's quite simple yet highly customizable :).

Actually, it served as a kind of sandbox for me - as you see, the game itself is not a big deal. Though I added some extras those maybe weren't really necessary if I look back. Like annoying self-update and announcement system, network playing support, multi-language support... and I think that's all. o_o
Whoa, definitely too much for a little game :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:03:49 AM by zombifier25 »

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
supershigi: Well I've always had problems with telling what kind of game it is, because honestly I don't know. :D But right, I think it's a puzzle game. ;) Have you checked it out? I'm so curious! ;) It's kind of complicated to tell its rules, even though they're very simple, you'll figure it out after a few steps. It can be played against the computer or a human in "hot-seat" mode or over the network. If you want, you can even set both players to "CPU", so you can see how 2 computer-generated players match against each other. :D

zombifier25: Yes, it took a time to realize that it doesn't worth to be overfeatured. :D Though if I'll ever make such (or better) game again, maybe I could reuse the infrastructure I've built behind it. I mean the self-update system and such things.

By the way, I'm just curious - who's the funny guy who has "localhost" as his reverse DNS? :D Is that you, zombifier25? You're such a geek that I could easily imagine it of you. :P

TP

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:32:20 AM »
Hey who wants to play a network game with me?
I´m back.

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »
I'm downloading the game now!  I'll check it out when I get back later, I can't wait :)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »
Just wanted to say that I played Megafillers today, and it's actually quite fun :)  I enjoyed looking several moves ahead to try and figure out the best way to cut the opponent off from their color supply... Trying to tie the opponent was also a fun challenge. 

For those who haven't played yet, the goal is to control more of the board than your opponent by the end of the game.  You start in either the lower left or upper right corner of the board, and you control one color tile.  On your turn, you can select any of the 7 color tiles given to you below your board.  When you do, you will expand to all tiles of that color that are adjacent to tiles you control.

I took a couple screenshots for you in case you wanted to put them in your OP:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:38:13 PM by supershigi »

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »
Thank you very much for trying my game, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :) Also you are very nice for taking screenshots!

For your second screenshot, it is quite rare when you manage to acquire the same number of blocks as your opponent. ;) Anyway, it's a flaw of the game that it just announces the first player as a winner in these rare cases. If you set the 1st player as the computer, it would have announced the computer as the winner. But in this case it announced you, because you were the first player. ;)

Have you tried to set other table sizes or selecting "shaped" tables on the Settings panel? :)

Anyway, I was thinking on adding several challenges for the game that players could opt-in. (I just talk about them, I still don't find MegaFillers worthy to continue to develop. :P)

• Like you did, it could be a challenge (that would be also admitted and rewarded by the game somehow) to end the round to have equal blocks as you have.
  • One thing I like to do is to select a color that I "hate", so I never choose it throughout the round, except for my last step when I must to, otherwise the round would never end. It usually looks nice.

zombifier25

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 07:54:47 PM »
The reason for draws might be that "Mirror" map. Might be. Maybe I'm wrong.

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
I think it is nice to have walls (blocks you can't acquire), because it makes the round a bit harder, and good-enough tables (which I don't have :P) may urge you to use strategies to play. - IMHO. But tell me if you don't agree. ;)
Also you have arbitrary start points.

zombifier25

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
I think it is nice to have walls (blocks you can't acquire), because it makes the round a bit harder, and good-enough tables (which I don't have :P) may urge you to use strategies to play. - IMHO. But tell me if you don't agree. ;)

There are already wall blocks ;)

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 03:21:35 AM »

There are already wall blocks ;)

I can't follow you... what do you mean? Please be more verbose.

I have introduced wall blocks in v1.4, and they are only available in "shaped" tables. In "classic" game mode, you'll never get walls. Prior v1.4, only "classic" mode was available.

If you mean that walls were already available in the original "Fillers 3D" (only that they were represented as holes you could see the background through, but they serve the same function), you are right, however. So walls in MegaFillers don't make an advancement compared to the original game. Note that I didn't mean to compete with the original game - actually, I wanted to make a simpler version of it. From then, however, I implemented some features those Fillers 3D doesn't have (such as network games), though I still don't have some features those were already present in Fillers 3D. That's it.