Author Topic: [2.0.2.0 Leeble Game Jam] th3mi5t's Dev Log!  (Read 178 times)

th3mi5t

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
[2.0.2.0 Leeble Game Jam] th3mi5t's Dev Log!
« on: February 01, 2020, 07:22:18 PM »
The day of reckoning has arrived. :) The theme is, "What if the friends we made along the way?". Time to figure out how to make a game  :P

Notes for myself
Step 1:Decide on an engine (Ren'py/RPGmaker MV)
Step 2:Figure out a story I want to tell.
Step 3:Figure out art (something simple, maybe pixel art? Esp for RPGmaker)
Step 4:Figure out music (something simple, hopefully it will be easy to learn!)
step 5:Program program program!
Step 6: Debug debug debug!
Step 7:???
Step 8: Profit...?

Hopefully I can keep this dev log updated! Good luck and have fun everyone!  :balloon:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:27:57 AM by th3mi5t »

btballenger

• +1
    • View Profile
Re: [2.0.2.0 Leeble Game Jam] th3mi5t's Dev Log!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
I am in the same boat, I have no experience with any of this stuff haha. But I think we should be proud of challenging ourselves!

I'm excited to see what you come up with! :D

elwoodjayfinley

• +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 07:46:17 PM »
I would think the better pick is the one that has more and better resources (i.e. "how to" tutorials and a helpful community) to help you if you're not sure how to do something. Look into that! I wish I could help you make a decision, but I only know about Ren'Py community insofar as it intersects with the Python community.

Which, for the record, is really great. Python dudes are super-nice, as far as programmers go.

th3mi5t

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »
DEV UPDATE #1
After two days of consideration, I have decided to stick with RPGMaker MV, accounting for the suggestions made by elwoodjayfinley (thanks btw!). As far as the game goes, it will probably be a dialogue heavy RPG, but with a little bit of combat mixed in. As per the theme, it will be about the friends we made along the way!
As far as story goes a rough idea I had was about a character who has been alone all his life, but is suddenly tasked with saving his little world. Along the way he can choose to make some friends, helping strangers as he goes, or keep to himself and continue on his quest.

Firstly I need to flesh out my story, and assuming it will be text heavy come up with some dialogue between the characters.

th3mi5t

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 09:32:18 AM »
DEV UPDATE #2
Whew, after a good week of university schoolwork, I finally have time to update my dev log! I wasn't able to get much programming done, but I was fortunately able to hash out a story and the theme I wanted to focus on. Below is a viewable doc for which I wrote out the general plot of my game, but for brevity sake, it is about a person who has isolated themselves. They begin the game alone, and they can choose to go straight to the boss (there is only one) and beat him a la breath of the wild. Alternatively he can go make some friends to help him beat the boss. Strangely enough, the more friends he gets, the harder the boss becomes. Fortunately with the way I have set this up I can stop adding friends to gain, so if the deadline is approaching I will know when to cut myself off. Currently I have three friends in mind that the main character can make, but that might get cut down due to time constraints.
Hopefully by next week I can jump into programming in RPG Maker!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19IbjiyrNtW_JeA_XwOgBvP4R1efitpm66gEqaB9Rhw0/edit?usp=sharing

btballenger

• +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 01:53:56 PM »
Sounds awesome! Also sounds like maybe I don't want to beat the boss... :(

th3mi5t

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 08:27:26 PM »
DEV UPDATE #3

Free time has finally arrived, so I was able to jump into RPG Maker and start working on little things. I first started with drawing out the overworld and two of the areas in the game, being the character's home and the mountain, where the final boss is located. I also started programming sections of text, but only the intro text at the moment. Through some googling I figured out the best way to fade into the game, starting on an empty map and loading in from there. Next, I worked on some sprites using the built-in sprite editor in RPG Maker, as well as paint so I could edit some of the sprites I made. Next, I want to start figuring out the boss's numbers (for the first phase at least) along with the protagonist's stats, and their abilities. Once that is done I can go into working on the dungeon section, the forest.

th3mi5t

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 05:39:11 PM »
DEV UPDATE #4
Jumped into some programming more, and today I inadvertently learned how to use plugins. I wanted to make the boss of my game scale with the level of the player's characters, and after doing some research figured out that it cannot be done with just RPG Maker alone. After a couple of google searches I figured out that I would need some plugins, and as such installed them and figured out the general syntax. The plugins I have used are HIME's enemy classes and enemy levels, which allowed me to assign both a class and a scaling level to my boss (and any other enemies I choose). I also installed Yanfly's Sideview Battler so I could use a character's sprite sheet for enemy images instead of drawing another enemy (it would have looked very weird to have my bad drawings in the mix of high quality art built-in). To finish off, I coded in some dialogue for the boss along with some battle processing, such as win-loss conditions. After cleaning up some numbers and doing some ad-hoc testing, I am ready to jump into programming the first friend you can encounter, along with the first small dungeon.

th3mi5t

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 08:43:15 PM »
DEV UPDATE #5
In the past few days I was able to get many more things done, such as implementing not one, but TWO new friends that the protagonist can encounter. I was also able to draw up a super small dungeon and create some enemies for it. Through it, I was able to learn a lot of different things, such as balancing enemies as well as using the sideview battler plugin I installed. I also managed to make a really simple cutscene to introduce the first friend you can make by utilizing the set movement route option to trigger upon the player reaching a certain tile.

As far as character icons and sprites go, I am very thankful for RPG Maker to have a built in sprite editor to save me the trouble of having to draw. I cannot draw to save my life, so this has, no pun intended, been a life saver.

Within the next few days I hope to get some more dialogue between the characters done, program in some interactions between the friends and the final boss, add one more friend if possible, and jump into composing a song. I feel like creating a song will be the hardest part, but as long as I aim to keep it simple it should turn out alright. I also need to design a title screen for this game! After seeing btballenger's super cool title screen, I want to try my hand at drawing something up.