Author Topic: The Chachia [Leeble Game Jam 2020]  (Read 95 times)

btballenger

• +1
    • View Profile
The Chachia [Leeble Game Jam 2020]
« on: February 03, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
hi I'm throwing myself into the deep end here, having no development experience, no musical experience, and no artistic experience worth mentioning. Will I swim or will I drown? :D

I believe the best way to learn is by doing, so my goal here is to just come up with a concept and explore as many of the aspects of developing it as much as I can. I don't expect any aspect of it to be very polished by the end of the month. I'm not confident I'll have anything worth sharing except maybe inspiring other people who've always wanted to make a game and, like me, have no clue what they're doing. :P

Based on the theme "What if the friends we made along the way?" (what does it mean *mysterious piano sfx*) my concept is going to be two magical forest creatures working together through a platformer (hopefully with some puzzles, but I may be getting too ambitious, I have no idea yet). I'd like to imagine it could be a co-op game but at this stage it definitely will not be.

This weekend I took a little time to ideate and explore tools I can use. I started looking at tutorials for Game Maker Studio, made something I might use for the title screen in Aseprite, and tried to come up with a little music in Bandlab which I'll probably change around a lot. The idea was to represent the two characters with separate instruments, like Peter and the Wolf but without any pretense of musical ability. :) It is sort of a call-and-answer as they figure out how to work together.

Thanks for reading!

th3mi5t

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
Re: The Chachia [Leeble Game Jam 2020]
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 11:18:58 AM »
Don't worry btballenger! We'll be alright, everything's alright  :) I really like the title screen too!

th3mi5t

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 07:51:34 PM »
Also in the future consider switching to ogg instead of mp3, just a tidbit I heard during Laura's Dev stream.

btballenger

• +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 08:46:16 AM »
Good advice, and thank you!!

btballenger

• +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
OK, it's been over a week so time for an update!! Here's a little video.

https://youtu.be/oneJWSDUtpc

You can see I've worked out some basic aspects. Collisions, movement, jumping/gravity, camera follow, idle/walk/jump/fall animations, basic floor tiles and placeholders for testing. I've got much more of a tileset drawn but I'm currently trying to learn how to incorporate sloped floors, it might be too much for now.

I also did some spritework for either an ending screen or a character portrait but I'll save that for the game.

So far the biggest struggle was figuring out the walk cycle, so I'll share a little bit about that. The first attempt I ended up with ChachiaBadWalk.gif. I felt like this looked really janky and didn't understand why -- I worked so hard on it!! So I mapped out what the legs were doing in each frame (BadWalkMapped.jpg) and decided I needed to make sure only two opposite legs were moving during each frame. From that I ended up with something more reasonable (ChachiaWalk.gif). Yay!

I still have so much to do, but I feel like I've accomplished a lot even if I don't have a lot to show for it yet. :D Slow and steady, like a chachia.