Author Topic: [Game Jam 2020] What if the friends we made... ?  (Read 100 times)

OveAhlman

• +1
    • View Profile
[Game Jam 2020] What if the friends we made... ?
« on: February 10, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
First of all I think the theme is very interesting. It is a question, yet it is quite unclear what the quiestion really asks or what it means. I put a big emphasis on the first two words of the sentence "What if the friends we made along the way?". This "What if" is a show of insecurity, it is a question of who these friends really are. So when I hear this theme I hear a story about someone doing a travel, making friends. Then questioning and worrying about what happened to this friendship later. This is the starting point of my game.

Now I will make a puzzle game. I love puzzle games and have made some before in puzzleScript (https://oveahlman.itch.io/). This is not a perfect (or even good) medium for a story, so the story will be a bit implicit, but I really hope to get it to shine through, and especially make it very clear that I am using the theme of the jam to its fullest.

Planning:
* Week 1, - Decide on If I should do the jam and start planning how.
* Week 2, - Start scripting and building framework.
                - Test concept levels to see if it makes sense
* Week 3, - Refine concept levels and develop more dynamics from these mechanics.
                - Refine gameflow
* Week 4, - Refine graphics
                - Add sounds
                - Add animations
                - (if time) Cinematics (ish)

Hopefully making a plan this explicit will make me more motivated on following through.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:16:52 AM by OveAhlman »

th3mi5t

• Citizen (Level 2)
    • View Profile
Re: [Game Jam 2020] What if the friends we made... ?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 06:54:17 PM »
What if the puzzles we made along the way? Haha! Jk!....

Unless?

But still excited to play your game! Also super interested in how your process is going to be for coming up with puzzles!

OveAhlman

• +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 12:05:23 PM »
@t3mi5t Sounds like a cool theme too, maybe a bit to meta though :-p ... or atleast that sounds like a bigger game where you somwhat make puzzles to solve tasks... uhm...?
Creating puzzles is all about the mechanic. What is it that is interacting and what is the goal? Once you have decided on a simple idea here you buiild some simple level, play it, then expand it by adding tweaks which you learned when playing the easy level and then repeat.
So its kinda interesting since atleast how I do it is to first set the stage, and then I explore what the heck I actually came up with.

Week 2 update:
The game will contain at least 4 parallel tracks of puzzle mechanics. This week I have scripted these mechanics and came up with non-trivial levels where I can explore and play around with these mechanics. The frame work is hopefully setup so it will be easy later to add animations and the story elements, but we'll see when I start with it I guess. I am still a bit torn on how to focus on the levels now. On one hand I really feel like doing a more story heavy game and thus both make easier levels, but also give higher priority to story elements of the level design rather than to make it challenging and deep from a dynamic view. My usual way to make game is to focus on the mechanic and dynamic core of the game, but on the other hand I am trying in this game jam to step outside of my comfort zone to focus story.

OveAhlman

• +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 12:12:52 AM »
Week 3 Update:
It looked quite bad during the week. I've felt quite unmotivate and not been working at all on the project during the weekdays. But right before the weekend I talked to a friend about the project, which really got me to clear my thoughts and set a clear path for future progress. So yesterday (saturday) I got a lot of work done and am now almost done. The game is not as tricky and long as I usually do, but I still feel quite happy of the result. Now I just need to do sounds and improve the graphics a bit and it should be done. I'll also have a friend gametest it to see if it is actually solvable by normal people.

OveAhlman

• +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 02:31:34 PM »
Week 4:
Aaaaaand I'm done, posted my game on itch: https://oveahlman.itch.io/what-if-the-friends-we-made.

Also put up a devlog entry on itch, explaining my thoughts on how and why I made the game.
https://oveahlman.itch.io/what-if-the-friends-we-made/devlog/126749/why-i-made-this-game-spoilers

Anywhere here on the forums where I should post this game? Feels weird to post the game in the nomination thread.