Author Topic: EA acquiring PopCap  (Read 1647 times)

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
EA acquiring PopCap
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:29:15 AM »
http://www.ctv.ca/generic/generated/static/business/article2095724.html

Rather relevant too, considering Laura's position back then, heheh. Funny how things turn out.

Not sure of the wider implications if this were to go through, but hey, that'd mean there could be Shigi music in George's games again, right?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:31:34 AM by Reives »

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
Re: EA acquiring PopCap
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »
I just read about this on gametrailers.com ... in my opinion I don't really like this move, only because PopCap Games have a knack for creating great games, where as EA Games love to gobble up the small companies and ... in my gaming experience, turn the games that follow into complete garbage.

Of course, what I said could most likely be false, but as far as every EA game I've played, they've just turned out many a sequel without great story, or the game is rushed... they should spend money on creating better game servers for the various games that they have in their library... well, I digress.

Guess my point is, I'm kinda not very happy about this move, but hey, guess we'll see what EA does next :)

Davixus

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
  • Let's play a little DotA
    • View Profile
    • Phosgene
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:02:24 AM »
It's hard to say, because EA (like most companies) hit or miss.  For example C&C is a total flop, but EA managed to produce some great titles such as Mass Effect and Battlefield. 

I'm not sure how exactly the system is run, but I think each studio manages the games, for example BioWare is a separate entity from DICE and WestWood.  As long as there are no radical policy/ staff changes, I think Popcap should be fine.

I wonder what Laura thinks of this, considering we don't know where the music department is going with this
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:12:30 AM by Astragoth »

WishfulThinker

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »
I would assume EA bought PopCap because PopCap is successful. I don't really see them making a lot of changes to PopCap's game plan. I would guess there will eventually be some resource sharing, but I doubt EA will seek to steer PopCap's creative direction.

Ferdk

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
    • Ferdk's Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
I kind of agree with WishfulThinker, I honestly have no idea how these companies work, but I asume if EA bought PopCap is because the acknowledged the guys are creative and have good ideas. If EA thought they had better ideas for that market, they would be competing with PopCap, not buying it. I guess they would probably encourage the PopCap people to make more stuff in the same direction  they have, and get their share out of it.
My youtube channel (videogame covers and stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

BradAric

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
  • Supershigi's Resident Microsoft Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
EA and PopCap create very different games. I think this move will only help to increase the popularity of one or both companies and that Pop Cap's creative direction will remain unhindered.

As for Astragoth's point, I disagree. EA produces high quality games, especially when compared to Activision. Mirror's Edge. Mass Effect. Battlefield Bad Company. Dead Space. Dante's Inferno and Dragon Age were also well received though I haven't gotten into them yet. Rockband. Skate. Sure they take risks that sometimes end in failure (like Create...seemed like such a cool concept...complete garbage) but on the whole, the only thing I don't like about them is how they keep shutting down the servers for their games. For example, if you want the online achievements in Skate, you have until August. -___-

Piccolo

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • The voice of reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »
I hate EA because of what they did to Madden.

Squall83

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
I hope EA bought PopCap because they intend to let them keep on doing what they do already and just make some money from it. In the worst case they just bought them so they'll stop making games better than the EA ones, because EA's employees could very well be arrogantly believing that they're better, even in the face of evidence.

But I don't care all that much as long as there will always be heartful games like Melolune around. Likewise I don't care what happens to our TV and Cinema program as long as there are independent artists on Youtube as well as the option to watch old Anime on the net.

Kertys

• +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:10:41 AM »
Jeff Green and EA, reunited (he's the PopCap social media lead now). Boy, that must have been awkward.

Have you talked to Jeff much, Laura?

Grail_Tomah

• Citizen (Level 2)
  • "I HAVE FURY!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »
I would say something... But I would offend someone so I won't...  :ack:
"ACT NOW! I'M CRAAAAAAAZY!"