Author Topic: Magicka's Postmortem Review  (Read 1410 times)

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
Magicka's Postmortem Review
« on: September 06, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
I don't know how many of you've played Magicka, but I love the game for its hectic spell-casting system. This is a review of what went right/wrong while developing the game: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6472/postmortem_arrowhead_game_.php?print=1

My favorite paragraph: "At what was supposed to be our beta milestone, after submitting the build, we did a play test of the final boss: Assatur. Instead of descending from the top of the screen to do battle with the wizards, he for some reason turned around and ascended back to where he came from, never to be seen again. At this point, 6 am -- after a long crunch -- the entire team cracked up, went to bed and took a couple of days off."
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Magicka's Postmortem Review
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »
Quote from: small
My favorite paragraph: "At what was supposed to be our beta milestone, after submitting the build, we did a play test of the final boss: Assatur. Instead of descending from the top of the screen to do battle with the wizards, he for some reason turned around and ascended back to where he came from, never to be seen again. At this point, 6 am -- after a long crunch -- the entire team cracked up, went to bed and took a couple of days off."

Haha, that's the best quote XD  I've been wanting to try out this game ever since GDC.  They had a bunch of people dressed in those long wizard robes handing out free codes when we were there, but I haven't used mine yet.  Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check out the article! 

Do you play with like 4 different people? 

Strawfairy

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »
I saw Patrick play this game over screenshare. XD

It looked confusing, but at the same time, really cute. The little wizards! I just want to hug them and squash them. Awwwwwwwwws.

P.S. I love cute stuff! :D

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
I like their suggestion to take a step back and evaluate which features are the most important ones.  Designing a game is such a huge project that it's hard to objectively evaluate things without looking at the big picture.  It's especially difficult to cut (or cut back on) something you've already invested so much time in, but sometimes it's necessary.

Pat

• Mage Disciple
  • Little guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:49:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure the people who made Magicka are very odd indeed. Yes, it's 4-player, you pick up various staves and weapons, and have a full arsenal of experimental spells at your disposal. Ever tried combining ice, rock and electric into one huge exploding, cold, electrifiying rock? No? This is your chance.
(Even though you can't combine rock and electric, you get my point.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:52:47 AM by Pat »
I never forget. I just don't always remember.

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Strawberry - yes! It's really confusing! I remember playing with a friend in the arena, being chased by a yeti (really fast moving giant that does an instant kill if he grabs you), and I'm trying to bring up a wall but I keep casting the wrong spell - a weak spell that does little damage and doesn't block. I'm nervously trying to mash the correct combo but conjuring wrong spells instead. I didn't realize I was also squeaking/screaming with nervousness while doing this, and my friend was laughing at me over teamspeak. XD  Part of the fun is getting a wrong spell and killing yourself or your friends, so perfectionists have to relax.

Shigi - yes 4 players! It's awesome, the more friends you play with, the easier it is to accidentally kill each other. I don't know if they've improved it, but back when I played, players would drop out due to network issues or glitches in the game, and if you log back in, you can't rejoin the server. Boooo!
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.

Pat

• Mage Disciple
  • Little guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 12:53:14 AM »
Damn yetis!
Havindr arena is fine until they show up.
I never forget. I just don't always remember.