Author Topic: Poku's thoughts  (Read 1399 times)

pokusan

• Shroom-Guard Elite (Lvl 10)
  • I'm just a simple guy looking for a better world.
    • View Profile
Poku's thoughts
« on: May 12, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
Supershigi, wonderful work on the game! I don't want to take up too much of your time, but I wanted to let you know how I felt about playing your game and what things stood out the most to me. Kids, there are spoilers running amuck, so only click on the spoiler tab if you are super curious as to what i'm going to say. Without further ado...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Music:
The music is so fantastic in the game that I almost want to play through it again just to listen to it all. I just bought your Melolune Digital Album just now. :) What I wanted to point out here is that I definitely heard influences from Chrono Cross in there. I wanted to point out that the battle theme, "Sweet Unlucky" sounds remarkably like the same style used for the CC Battle theme, but has it's own unique flare to it. Leeble Village's song is so relaxing. To be honest, I stayed in Leeble Village as long as I could because the music is so fitting and pleasant. It really feels like a safe haven and the music definitely expresses a pure place, so good job on all of the music. You're really very talented and I appreciate how you put so much emotion in to your music. It definitely shows.

Environment/Places:
Okay, so I mentioned earlier that I didn't want to leave Leeble Village. I really liked the addition of sun rays in the village, it gives the place such a warm feeling and adds so much to the place. Leeble Village itself is very beautiful, but that was one thing I noticed as soon as I entered. I got goosebumps seeing the village for the first time, hehe. The other place that I would like to bring attention to is the Melon Cave as Achaius is poisoned. The cave is absolutely beautiful and totally magical! I noticed how big it was compared to the other areas, and so I imagined that this might be one of your favorite places also or that it shows that you put a LOT of time into creating this place. Whatever the reason, it became one of my favorite places because of the music in it and because it's very beautiful. Debonet also reminded me of Termina from Chrono Cross, so that was pretty cool. :thumbup: Every place you designed holds a special place in my heart for a different reason.

Gameplay/Characters/Events:
Alright, last few notes I have for you! I love that your characters are relatable! I think what gives a special meaning to a character in your heart is knowing how they feel. Dominic wanted a fresh start and wanted to leave the Ciro Order. I know that for so long, I've wanted a fresh start and for the longest time, I didn't think it existed. It took me a little while to understand that we are only captive to our own choices and that a fresh start is sometimes making a daily decision to better yourself or change habits/choices over time. In a similar way, I think it's cool that Achaius and Aero are trying to find who they are because again, it's hard to find your own place in this world. I've wondered where my home is for a long time and I've wondered who I am for a long time, but i'm making decisions in my every day life now that are starting to shape that. Thank you for everyone's stories of their life in the game! I wish I could comment on every character and everything I love about them, but I'd be talking forever, haha. The zombie king is pretty great too. ^_^

Last note: Going back to the melon cave, I think it was made better by the fact that I felt in a hurry to cure Achaius. I was scrambling through the cave, trying to find where I needed to go, but it seemed there was no end to it! I think that's the feeling a cave would give you in general, but even more so if such an event were to happen. I thought it was really cool how whether you intentionally tried to give that feeling through that event or whether it's a weird side effect of my attachment to the characters, that a good game does make you feel empathetic to the events in the characters' lives and you can fully immerse yourself in the game. One other event that I wanted to end on was Atelo. Now, I normally check out environments fully before finding the side quests, so I saw Atelo's grave at the top of Basho and I wondered about it. As I was doing the quest, I was a bit oblivious to the fact that I was gathering these ingredients/supplies for a mother celebrating her deceased son's birthday and as she reveals his name, my jaw actually dropped open! I began to think about this lady losing her son, but still celebrating his birthday and "thinking of him how he used to be." It was a touching moment and also a very shocking moment to me in the game. I think it was a very notable side quest, because not everyone has a cinderella story, bad things happen sometimes. It made me think that we should be willing to help others when they need it, because you never know what happened in their life and what horrors/traumas they have gone through. I think the character Zidane in Final Fantasy IX said it best...

Anyways, I know you're working very hard on Rakuen and are extremely busy, so I just wanted to tell you from the heart that I very much appreciate that you took the time to read this. I know time is really valuable to you, but I felt that this is just one thing I could do to really convey how much I enjoyed playing Melolune. I know Melolune is special to you, so thank you for putting so much time into making it. You're a great person, Laura! Have a good rest of the day/night (whenever you read this.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:02:32 PM by pokusan »

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Poku's thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:51:48 PM »
Hi poku! Awww thank-you so much for taking the time to play the game and also for letting me know your feelings about the story! I really appreciate that ^_^ As I mentioned before, it's been such a long while since I've even played through Melolune, so hearing your thoughts about the characters was so nostalgic for me. It makes me really happy to know that you were able to relate to the characters, and that the Basho sidequest had an impact on you like that. This really motivates me to come back to the came after Rakuen is finished :)