Author Topic: Melolune TVtropes page  (Read 5376 times)

HawkThePirate

• Ranger
  • Wanted Dead or Alive for Crimes against Ciro Order
    • View Profile
Re: Melolune TVtropes page
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 01:44:23 PM »
The TVtropes page was wrong about,something. Well, it was wrong about several things such as the "child soldiers" since we now know that Dominic is not a child or teenager. However, they were wrong about something BIG time! They said that Big Sister was unnamed. This was not due to laziness. This is a HUGE point in the plot, Big Sister's real name, and I will not spoil it, or even reveal how I came across the information, but-well, now you all know how I came across it, but I actually posted this originally before I impetuously posted that (Gah! I never liked this name, but,) hacking guide which has now thankfully been removed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:14:02 AM by HawkThePirate »
/i When greeted by a young man with blue eyes, you will remember why you came here../i
 ~ Some poor vagrant who makes a living off decrypting game data and informing Leebles of their darkest plot twists and most fated hours

P.S I had no room to put the THE in my other text.

HawkThePirate

• Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 01:13:58 AM »
Quote from: Unnamed
Other (unrelated) thing: I've found an ally! \o/ As I was browsing TV Tropes, I got to a random troper's page: ccoa. The only thing I've known before I've seen her profile that she's really into TV Tropes. Then I liked her profile that much (particularly the "software engineer" and "makes videogames and writes" parts) that I had to send her a PM, asking her help to find certain video game tropes.

Ah, that's really cool!  I remember ccoa being into tropes -- I think that's actually how I might have first heard about that site.  She's like a super woman... I remember being really impressed that she was able to contribute so much to the rpg maker community while also holding a full-time software engineer job and raising children.  I hope she's doing well.
What's more, she made the famous Universal Messaging System and possibly the Tiny Overworld Sprites scripts, which are both in Melolune. I had actually known Ccoa for this before reading this post, and I didn't even realize that she was a girl, haha!  :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:04:21 PM by HawkThePirate »
/i When greeted by a young man with blue eyes, you will remember why you came here../i
 ~ Some poor vagrant who makes a living off decrypting game data and informing Leebles of their darkest plot twists and most fated hours

Unnamed

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
  • Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 01:28:10 AM »
However, they were wrong about something BIG time! They said that Big Sister was unnamed. This was not due to laziness. This is a HUGE point in the plot, Big Sister's real name, and I will not spoil it, or even reveal how I came across the information, but I'm just saying, a lot of you DO know her name, just not in the way you would expect....

Since the TVtropes page was based on the public demo and Big Sister's name is not revealed in it, the page is correct. It shall be updated when the full game is released.

No, she's not Liele, but you'll still sure be shocked! Hee, hee.  :P

I've always suspected the secret of Big Sister's name is a plot device and that it will be revealed later in the game. Frankly, I really speculated it's Liele, but to be honest I'd find that somehow cheap, so I'm glad it's not her after all.

What's more, she made the famous Universal Messaging System and possibly the Tiny Overworld Sprites scripts,which are both in Melolune. I had actually known Ccoa for thisbefore reading this post, and I didn't even realize that she was a girl, haha!  :D

Coder girls rock! :D

HawkThePirate

• Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
Point taken. It DID say Melolune, but it would make logical sense that it would be based on the demo since that's all we-you-have. Of course, I wasn't actually criticizing you, my loose lips just desperately wanted to let out a hint. I'm trying to kick the habit.  :P

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
An issue I have with "No Name Given" is that it doesn't take into account the fact that in some cultures, siblings don't call their big sisters/brothers by their actual names. A little bit of research could reveal that the person who made the game is Japanese... and in Japanese culture, younger siblings call their older brothers and sisters "oniichan"/"oneechan" (which means older brother/older sister). This is why in a lot of localized Japanese media, you'll often find siblings saying something like "brother" or "big sister" rather than their real names. If you were to watch one scene from a localized Japanese movie, hearing a boy refer to his sister as "big sister" doesn't mean she isn't named elsewhere; it also doesn't mean that her name was intentionally left out.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:48:31 PM by supershigi »

Merlandese

• Coffee Leeble
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »
An issue I have with "No Name Given" is that it doesn't take into account the fact that in some cultures, siblings don't call their big sisters/brothers by their actual names. A little bit of research could reveal that the person who made the game is Japanese... and in Japanese culture, younger siblings call their older brothers and sisters "oniichan"/"oneechan" (which means older brother/older sister). This is why in a lot of localized Japanese media, you'll often find siblings saying something like "brother" or "big sister" rather than their real names. If you were to watch one scene from a localized Japanese movie, hearing a boy refer to his sister as "big sister" doesn't mean she isn't named elsewhere; it also doesn't mean that her name was intentionally left out.

That's pretty interesting.

In my absolutely-USA-white family, we all call each other by position as well. I'm Brother to my sisters and Cousin to my Cousins, Son to my father and Grandson to my grandmother, etc. My father was called Uncle by my cousins, and aunts were called Aunty.

Even more is that sometimes our names would change not by who was talking to us, but by who was supposed to hear it. So my grandma would call me Brother if she was talking to my sister about me. Likewise, she calls her son Son unless she's around his siblings (all of her children), in which scenario she calls him Brother.

The addition of "big" or "little" to each name also applied. So I see it highly fathomable that there's a character who never gets called by her real name, but rather her position in the family. :D

HawkThePirate

• Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »

Wow, that's really interesting. I like to study Chinese culture and I know that they did that, but I didn't know that the Japanese did that, too.
Okay, so we now know that Gleemers are part Japanese (not a phony spoiler, just a joke :P), but that does explain why the brothers refer to her as Big Sister.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Still, though, you and I very well know that that is not the sole reason her name is not stated at the beginning...

Well, actually, no. I remember now that they say First brother, Second sister etc. in Chinese culture, not Big brother, little sister etc., my mistake.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:42:16 AM by HawkThePirate »

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »
@Merlandese: That's really interesting, thank-you for sharing about that^^ It's kind of neat to know that families here also use "brother" and "sister" as well.

@HawkthePirate: I know you probably didn't mean to, but if you're going to post a spoiler, you need to hide it within a spoiler tag (please let us know if you don't know how to do this). If you accidentally post spoilers (or reveal information that was not publicly released), a staff member will immediately add spoiler tags or remove information as needed.

HawkThePirate

• Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2014, 12:31:25 AM »

@HawkthePirate: I know you probably didn't mean to, but if you're going to post a spoiler, you need to hide it within a spoiler tag (please let us know if you don't know how to do this).

I do not know how to do this, although I do know what you are talking about

@HawkthePirate: If you accidentally post spoilers (or reveal information that was not publicly released), a staff member will immediately add spoiler tags or remove information as needed.
Thank you, I actually appreciate the admins fixing my mistakes. As I said to Melaniipon, although this is the first forum I have been a part of, I've been around a lot of them, and most don't have the patience (or forgiveness) for these kinds of impetuous actions and just block the person. You guys on the other hand, are very understanding and as far as I know, have not banned anyone except for one spambot (but I will not ask you to confirm or deny that fact).
That's the long answer. The short answer? Thanks, all of you, for trying to help me and for putting up with my rash decisions.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:40:29 AM by HawkThePirate »

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »
Thank-you for being so polite and receptive about things. I totally understand about being new to forums -- the first time I joined a forum, I felt like there were a lot of subtle things about the forum culture I had to pick up on over time. So yeah, if you ever have a question, feel free to ask ^_^

As for how to use spoiler tags: When you make a new post (or reply), above the Leeble emoticons do you see the formatting buttons (where you can make text bold, italicized, underlined, etc.)? Underneath the button to make text bold (which is a letter "B"), there is a button "Sp." Simply click that, and put your spoiler text inside of those brackets.

HawkThePirate

• Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »
Thank you, for telling me how to find the spoiler button and the other functions above the emoticons. I actually didn't know where they were until now. (Recall that I am using a mobile device.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:30:53 PM by HawkThePirate »