Author Topic: Melolune TVtropes page  (Read 5414 times)

Unnamed

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
  • Hello?
    • View Profile
Melolune TVtropes page
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
I was surprised to see that Melolune didn't have a page on TVtropes.

Now I couldn't resist and spent the entire day with collecting tropes for Melolune. I've collected 30 tropes so far, and sure there are many many more that fit, considering how complex Melolune is. It has Loads and Loads of Tropes! After all, trope-collecting is quite fun, and to be honest I'm pretty much proud of my collection. :)

Feel free to help me out if you feel like to! Please revise if the tropes I collected really apply. There are some I'm unsure about.

For example, I'm unsure whether the Loads and Loads of Characters trope really applies. Though it's been a while I played the demo and there are a lot of details I don't remember. If I remember correctly, most characters had names. But I think it's also a requirement that most of them should be recurring characters. (Hmm, forgot about Character Development and Character Depth! Good that it came to my mind.) Well, as I see, many characters are recurring, but I'm not sure if they are enough to earn the LLC trope.

Please feel to fix any errors you find on the page.

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
Re: Melolune TVtropes page
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:44:37 PM »
I just spent a fair chunk of time in Tropes and haven't found anything to contribute, yet. ^_^;  Granted, I'm not much of a troper, but if I think of/find something, I'll still try to contribute.

EDIT: Wait...  Can you edit Trope pages if you don't have an account?  'Cause I thought of something and found a trope that seems like it fits, but I can't seem to find an 'edit' button.  If someone could edit it for me, I'd appreciate it.

Spoiler for WARNING! May lead you to being trapped in Tropes!:
Related to being (un)able to see Melolune:
Invisible to Normals, most likely.

Someone may also want to look over Stock Super Powers.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:38:58 PM by Omni »

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
And now you're thinking with tropes! <<*GLaDOS voice.*>>

Nice find! Invisible to Normals really applies! I'll add it next time I edit the page. By the way, you can easily create an account on TVtropes (which they rather call "handle"). It doesn't even ask for your e-mail address - only a name and a password is required, though be careful, because then you need to remember your password, since there is no password recovery. And there is an "edit page" link on the top of the pages, with a lot of other buttons. Hard to pick, I remember I also didn't find it at first.

TVtropes is pretty much addictive, indeed. Whenever I open it, I end up having ~50 different TVtropes tabs open... You open a page of a movie/series/video game, see what tropes it has, open some of them to get detailed information, look for known movies/series/video games listed for those tropes, open some other movies/series/video games... and it's an exponential, never ending process... you finish it when you really have to for some reason. It's easy to spend an entire day digging tropes. Despite being an old site, I only found it last summer. Since then I always look up the tropes for all kinds of media I encounter. :D

Well if you browse it much, some pretty much popular tropes will stuck in your head and then it will be easier to collect tropes. But most cases you don't need to collect tropes, because they are usually collected by others already. :P For example, I was shocked to find that even Vuk has a page on TVtropes. Basically, it took a long time to find anything that's not already on TVtropes. Melolune is only the 2nd page I've created. (The first one is this.) Actually, I was surprised it wasn't already there.

One important thing to know about tropes: every little detail you can pick in a work is a trope, and most likely have a page for it on TVtropes already. If it isn't there directly, you might have found a subversion, inversion, aversion, etc. of an existing trope. If accidentally you really find something that isn't a trope, create a page for it, and it's a trope afterwards. For example, I think I've found out a trope which I call "Orange Blossom Effect", but I'm berry sure there is already a trope for the phenomenon with some other name, I just couldn't find it yet - though if I'll be unable to find it eventually, I'll really write a page for it.

So, there are tropes in all details! Let's get back to Melolune! Just to make an excercise, try to pick some details those are most probably tropes. Now I played a little with Melolune, so I have fresh memories to revise for tropes. I'll try to search for these on TVtropes some other time. I won't list tropes which I already listed on the TVtropes page.

Spoiler for Tropes, may contain spoilers:
  • Big sister doesn't have a name - sure a trope. Not just No Name Given, but sure there is a concrete version where a family member or close relative doesn't have a name. As I said, will try to look it up. (Btw, what's with this "big sister"? Is she silent? 'Cause that's also a trope. Hehe, maybe she's Liele - I would be shocked for sure! :D)
  • Accident happened in a mine.
  • Parents die... Orphans! Ohh, how it didn't come to my mind earlier?
  • Lots of useless items... Maybe there is a Loads and Loads of Items or something.
  • What's behind those unbreakable crystals? It's a secret. This may utilize multiple tropes. (One is the secret, and one is the unbreakable obstacle that supposedly can be broken later, when you'll have the necessary skills.)
  • Houses on trees!
  • Openable crates.
  • Dialogs and a bunch of RPG tropes...
  • Can't save during the tutorial... might be a trope.
  • Activating a bridge.
  • Sleepwalking, footprints, waking someone up, building a home...

And this is the point where I got bored of collecting. Might continue later. And anyway, not sure that all of them worth to list. I like the snappy titles of tropes, remind me of the usually snappy titles of achievements (those you may get in a game, like in Steam games). This is why I find achievements funny too. Moreover, I also like the sarcastic examples. :D

Anyway, now that I look at it, maybe my memory tricked me in a lot of things, for it's almost been a year I played the game... For example, maybe there aren't really so many clothes in it. I clearly remember the "Fabulous Garb"... maybe it was too much in itself. :D For some reason I remembered the game is full of clothes.

Nah, have to sleep. zzz Already left too short time to sleep for myself. <<*Sigh.*>>

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:11 PM »
Trust me, I know about what a trope is and how addictive the site can be.  The reason I don't have an account is because I try to avoid getting on TVTropes a lot of the time because I know from experience just how addicting they can be. XD  (Also, not having an account means being unable to edit things which means one less reason to spend extra time there.)  I have successfully managed to avoid looking at a ton of tropes on occasion when seeing a friend reference one, but it doesn't always work.  Though based on my experience the other day, looks like specifically looking for tropes I don't know the name of is even worse than normal browsing. ^_^;

So yeah, currently on the fence as to whether to actually get an account (or 'handle').  At the very least, for the meantime, I'll let you guys know whenever I come up with anything. :)

In the mean time, another question: What does it mean when a larger red dot (that looks a pinch like a yin-yang symbol) is next to a trope, as opposed to a smaller black one?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:29:48 PM by Omni »

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:59:52 PM »
Added a bunch of new tropes, check them out! :P

Berserk Button
Beta Test
Cool Shades
Fan Work
Flashback
Forced Level Grinding
Game Maker
Happily Adopted
I Am Not Weasel
Indie Game
Invisible to Normals
It Got Worse
Mooks
Multi Platform
No Name Given
Start To Save
You Gotta Have Blue Hair

In the mean time, another question: What does it mean when a larger red dot (that looks a pinch like a yin-yang symbol) is next to a trope, as opposed to a smaller black one?

Ahh, that's a warning that those trope references should be moved to the YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) namespace, but still I prefer them as they are as for now. Maybe another troper will do so upon encountering the page. Also the page should be indexed somewhere.

Anyway, I really need to re-play Melolune to be able to list tropes accurately. My memory tricks me on a lot of things. For example, I thought "Mook Debut Cutscene" applies, but then I played with the game today, and found out it doesn't.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:05:28 PM by Unnamed »

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:40:59 PM »
I'm not too familiar with tropes, but I had a really fun time reading through that page... Thank-you for making it! 

Strawfairy

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
Excuse me for being silly, but I has a question:

Why would someone want tropes for their creation?

I mean, if Ghost Shards or my comic had a TVTropes page, I'd probably be wondering what I did wrong and how I'm not original.

Maybe I'm just confused? o.o

Just Lance

• Swifthand
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »
^I think that Bruce Sterling said being it a "wry fanfic analysis" but that doesn't mean that it's bad. ;)

Also Originality in this space and time is... Kinda impossible.

Strawfairy

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »
Not true originality, but originality where it feels that way.

I'm not trying to be truly original, but interesting.

But why point out that what you have isn't original or something similar? I don't really understand.

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 04:14:42 PM »
As the site itself says in several places, Tropes are not automatically bad.  They're things that commonly show up and that can be used, but that doesn't make them bad.

Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite." In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them.

As the page I linked says, even having not so good tropes doesn't make a work as a whole bad.  Maybe it could use some work, yes, but it's still just one trait of the work.

On that note, possibly as a 'Your Mileage May Vary' under 'Tear Jerker,' I feel that Show, Don't Tell or something related applies.  Basically, I feel that in the current demo, while the characters technically follow out on their beliefs and such after the 'kick the dog' moment and such, we don't see a lot of them reacting to the events.  Yes, they say that they're upset, and there's the emotes... but during what should be their 'reaction' scenes, there's not a lot beyond that at this point.  No taking steps back, looking in other directions, or punching the wall or anything. :/  I may need to look over the game and some tropes again for specifics, but that's the basics.

It's subverted somewhat around this point...
Spoiler for Hiden:
When Achaius is surprised enough by accidentally using his lightning ability (that he forgot about) that he falls through a hole he just made.
...Though it still feels like that scene could use a little something more, in my opinion.

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 03:57:17 AM »

I mean, if Ghost Shards or my comic had a TVTropes page, I'd probably be wondering what I did wrong and how I'm not original.

WOW.

You're completely missing the point. Even though it's really easy to misinterpret the site's intention - I remember when I read the first page there, I also had a feeling that the site's mocking one of my favourite shows for not being original, and it felt bad, though just a little bit. At the same point, I also found the tropes fun. And later when I understood the site's true nature, the little bad feeling completely went away, and so now I'm just freely enjoying reading the site.

The point is, that tropes are not bad, and not good: they are tools. And it's not relevant if you want or not want them, plan with or without them, you'll have tropes anyway. And again, there's nothing bad about it.

Moreover, there's nothing bad about analyzing a work. It can be quite fun. (Hell, if my Literature teacher would have taught analyzing as TV Tropes does, probably I would have liked Literature, which was actually one of my most hated subjects, besides other humanities.)

Actually, if I created something that would deserve getting a page on TV Tropes, and someone would actually make it, I would feel berry much honored. It would imply that my work worths analyzing and it's famous enough to actually get analyzed.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:03:00 AM by Unnamed »

Just Lance

• Swifthand
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:59:28 AM »
Also TVTropes explains a lot of "slang". Like "Red shirt army" or "A-Team firing"

Strawfairy

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:49 PM »

WOW.

You're completely missing the point. Even though it's really easy to misinterpret the site's intention - I remember when I read the first page there, I also had a feeling that the site's mocking one of my favourite shows for not being original, and it felt bad, though just a little bit. At the same point, I also found the tropes fun. And later when I understood the site's true nature, the little bad feeling completely went away, and so now I'm just freely enjoying reading the site.

The point is, that tropes are not bad, and not good: they are tools. And it's not relevant if you want or not want them, plan with or without them, you'll have tropes anyway. And again, there's nothing bad about it.

Moreover, there's nothing bad about analyzing a work. It can be quite fun. (Hell, if my Literature teacher would have taught analyzing as TV Tropes does, probably I would have liked Literature, which was actually one of my most hated subjects, besides other humanities.)

Actually, if I created something that would deserve getting a page on TV Tropes, and someone would actually make it, I would feel berry much honored. It would imply that my work worths analyzing and it's famous enough to actually get analyzed.

You could've said the first part a lot nicer, Unnamed.

I just was wondering, geesh.

Please, consider other people's feelings and emotional issues on this site. Thank you.

(I didn't read all of it, because I got too upset by your first two sentences).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:52:30 PM by Strawberry »

spellbunny

• Mage Disciple
  • yoshi lover, web guru
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
Unnamed, that was a little harsh .. -_-

thanks for explaining, albeit a little opinionated.

I had no idea what the point of that website was; I think a literal description of the site would be better, not just why people choose to use it.

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »
Quote from: Unnamed
WOW.

You're completely missing the point.

I'm sure you didn't mean to come off this way, but it was a bit rude... We'd really appreciate it if in the future you worded things a little less harshly.

But thank-you for taking the time to explain the site.