Author Topic: Laura Shigihara - Interview at GDC  (Read 3226 times)

Ferdk

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
    • Ferdk's Youtube Channel
Laura Shigihara - Interview at GDC
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
I'm surprised I couldn't find this interview posted on the site, its pretty recent!

Interview with Games Composer Laura Shigihara (Plants vs. Zombies)

As always, excellent interview Laura ^_^ I'll always keep in mind your advice for when I finally decide to start writing instead of covering videogame songs hehe, haven't got the courage yet XD

And here is Reives' Interview! :)

Interview with Gamedesigner Kan Gao (To The Moon)

To The Moon rocks man!! <3
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:44:40 AM by Astragoth »
My youtube channel (videogame covers and stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

spellbunny

• Mage Disciple
  • yoshi lover, web guru
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
Re: Laura Shigihara - Interview at GDC
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »
hah! This video was in my "suggested videos for you to watch" section on youtube today :)

Ferdk

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
That's where I found it too! :)

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
Thanks for posting this Ferdk!  I did that interview right after my talk so I was afraid I'd sound all flustered, but I think it went okay, haha :)  She and the camera guy were both really nice. 

Just Lance

• Swifthand
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:19:48 PM »
Saw both interviewees of Kan and Laura: Nice to hear the voices in casual speech with only limitation of my own speakers. ^^  Was a good 12 minutes of once again exploring the insight of masterminds.

Ferdk

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »
Thanks for posting this Ferdk!  I did that interview right after my talk so I was afraid I'd sound all flustered, but I think it went okay, haha :)  She and the camera guy were both really nice.

It went perfectly! you sound very natural and look pretty ^^ how about that talk? any chances of a video of that? hehe

Saw both interviewees of Kan and Laura: Nice to hear the voices in casual speech with only limitation of my own speakers. ^^  Was a good 12 minutes of once again exploring the insight of masterminds.

Just saw the other interview. I like how this guy thinks, I'm gonna play To The Moon now, I hear only good things about it and the way he talked about it in the interview made me curious. I love good stories and I already know the music is excellent so why not? =P

Just Lance

• Swifthand
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »
Just saw the other interview. I like how this guy thinks, I'm gonna play To The Moon now, I hear only good things about it and the way he talked about it in the interview made me curious. I love good stories and I already know the music is excellent so why not? =P

You have my insurance of a member of dev. team it's really worth it.

dlan

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
    • View Profile
    • Gameplay first | an indie journey
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing it Ferdk ! It's short but give plenty of interesting informations about how laura compose video games music.

Yeah, you should really play to the moon, It have a very touching story, and the music match it well. If you play it, it's best to complete it in one play session, it's actually quite short, and I feel the whole game is best experienced this way.

Ferdk

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »
I just finished To The Moon. I can't even put my feelings into words right now. I can only say Thank You to Kan and everyone involved in this, thank you very much. It was a really touching story, I can't wait to see more of him :')

Wow, really I can't describe how I feel right now, if any of you talks to Kan let him know he's got a new fan and this argentinian fan is deeply thankful to him for sharing this beautiful story with the world.

I can't wait for Episode 2, whenever that may happen (if at all, but here crossing fingers!)

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
Thanks for posting this Ferdk! I've learned something about music writing from Laura's video. Reive's interview is also interesting - natural storytelling in par with game design. Woo!
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.

Merlandese

• Coffee Leeble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
Kan is Reives here. I'm sure he's heard your praise and welcomes it in his super muscle-y arms of golden goodness. c:

And that was a great interview with Laura. After mastering that Indie Composers session and then this interview directly afterward, I'm convinced she's a professional speaker. She should give lessons.

Reives

• Fisherleeble (Level 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
Great shigi interview; it was after the main speaking session too, so it was like a victory march. And the interviewer was such a nice lady! I think she's working on a book about indie devs.

And thanks for the kind words, Ferd -- I'm really glad you enjoyed the game. Laura's awesome song contributed greatly to the atmosphere too, so you're at the right place. :) I'll try my best to make episode 2 up to expectations.

Ferdk

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 06:30:25 AM »
Thanks to you my friend, for the beautiful game :) and yes Laura's song is beautiful no doubt about it! but so is the rest of the soundtrack, it sets the mood perfectly

I can't wait for Episode 2, I'll buy it at release date or even pre-order it if you do that by then =) I want to make sure I do my little part to contribute in helping you be able to keep creating beautiful stories for us, and I'm sure you'll surprise us once again ^_^

Do you have an idea of when we could expect Episode 2? hehe

SuperRoo

• Shroom-Druid (Level 11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »
Such a great interview! It was fun to hear about the process.

And what was the sparkly thing on your finger? :)
Bring me a shrubbery!

Astragoth

• Tea Leeble
    • View Profile
    • Astra's Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
I loved Laura's interview as well, it was really good! Especially how she talked about how she first started out as a composer, its so interesting how you can go from one thing (law) to something completely different (being a composer) Great interview :D

Actually just watched Reives' video (as of this post) a few minutes ago as well, and if you haven't seen it yet, he gets interviewed about his game 'To The Moon', the overall story, music, how the game came to be, etc. Don't worry, there's no spoilers ^_^

Here's the video just in case you haven't watched it yet :)

Interview with Gamedesigner Kan Gao (To The Moon)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:37:16 AM by Astragoth »