Author Topic: OUYA - Thoughts?  (Read 1303 times)

PacKnight7

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
    • View Profile
OUYA - Thoughts?
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:43:37 AM »
This has been a pretty common news topic lately. :3

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

It's looking like a pretty neat project. And it's great news for upstart game devs being based on the Android! (:
Thoughts on the implications as far as how it will affect the industry? Anyone else gonna get one?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:24:43 AM by Packnight501 »

Nikrul

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
Re: OUYA - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 12:49:25 AM »
I backed up the project early on Kickstarter so I should receive one before it's on sale.

Apparently they are preparaing a HD version of FF3 on it and the impressive Mecha/FPS/jetpack Hawken will be available on it too.

I'm not convinced a console with only Free To play Games will realy work but I'm definitly wiling to try it :)

PacKnight7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:09:33 AM »
I backed up the project early on Kickstarter so I should receive one before it's on sale.

Apparently they are preparaing a HD version of FF3 on it and the impressive Mecha/FPS/jetpack Hawken will be available on it too.

I'm not convinced a console with only Free To play Games will realy work but I'm definitly wiling to try it :)

I hadn't heard about FF3! That will be exciting! :D

In their mission statement they only claim that developers for the console must include "SOME free portion of their games" which they explained means a demo or free-to-play mode. This doesn't mean all games have to be free. which will hopefully attract more developers to the console! (:

I really hope it's successful! I'll be learning a lot of Java programming language in the next two years, maybe I can find enough Android Dev tutorials online to make some kind of working project on the ouya! xD

Just Lance

• Swifthand
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:12:27 AM »
I like games but not really on TV. Heck I did not touched TV for like five years!

PacKnight7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »
I like games but not really on TV. Heck I did not touched TV for like five years!

It's a huge chunk of the games market, so there's no doubt consoles have a big part in gaming. I personally enjoy being able to kick back on a couch with some friends and play split-screen on a big TV!

But I know a lot of people that can say the same thing about never touching a TV game console! xD
PC hardware is just getting better and better so quickly, consoles can't keep up with the technology. But I think the ouya has the price point in it's favor, and it draws off of the already huge android marketplace, so I imagine it will be pretty successful if it catches on with consumers/developers!  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:33:05 AM by Packnight501 »

Just Lance

• Swifthand
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:38:56 AM »
I was never really found on gaming consoles. I only have N64 wit two games and PSI with 3 games. (might add FFVII because I really wanna play some of FF franchise but that's all)