Author Topic: What would be your Prized Possession?  (Read 3949 times)

Unnamed

• Shroom-Trainer (Level 7)
  • Hello?
    • View Profile
What would be your Prized Possession?
« on: May 14, 2012, 07:40:19 PM »
Inspired by Merlandese's game, Fleuret Blanc, I'm curious what would be your Prized Possessions, and why? :)

If you're not familiar with the game, in Fleuret Blanc, you apply for membership in a fencing club, and you must bring one of your possessions which means really lot to you and would be very hard to lose it. That's gonna be your "Prized Possession". When you bout someone, you can win the other's Prized Possession for yourself or lose your own. If you lose your PP, later you have the opportunity to bout the actual owner again to win it back. But still, your PP is in constant danger... what if the other member won't give it back to you or damages it?...

Assume you can't lie about your PP (i.e. propose an object which means little or nothing to you), which of your possessions would you choose to be your PP? And why? What connects you to your PP?

Anyway, I really suggest you to play the game, 'cause it's interesting! ;)

As for me, I think my Prized Possession would be... my Ginger Snap plush doll! \o/

Ginger Snap is one of my berry favourite characters from the 2003 Strawberry Shortcake series. She's an inventor, one of her notable inventions is the Amazing Cookie Machine, which... bakes berry lots of cookies... quite automatically and quickly. And I like how she's a Motor Mouth (only from the 2nd season, though). Also, she's just cute... though that's true for nearly all SSC characters. :P

This doll fits well for my Prized Possession, because I love it... or her? :/ Actually, I don't have many physical objects I love. Most objects I love are digital. :/ It is really hard to tell what connects me to the doll, because I don't really know myself. Sure, it's the same thing what connects me to the SSC series. I like that everything is so true and simple in Strawberryland, it brings back my childhood, or what. It is strange because usually I prefer complexity, and I'm not used to like girlish stuff. So SSC is the opposite of my basic preferences, and still, somehow it got me...

My Prized Possession is one which represents a paradox.

P.S.: Sorry for the giant size of the picture, the BB Codes supposed to work for resizing don't work, and I really don't feel like to make a thumbnail for the image.

spellbunny

• Mage Disciple
  • yoshi lover, web guru
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
Re: What would be your Prized Possession?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:45:17 AM »
Can I use a living thing? If so, my answer is quite obvious  <3

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
Can I use a living thing? If so, my answer is quite obvious  <3

Hehe, I don't think so, though we should ask Merlandese, he made the rules.

Anyway, of course, then I'd choose my cat, Huncutka. :P

By the way, I really don't think your Prized Possession should be a living being, most probably the Judges wouldn't approve it. Also it would make the animal pretty sad when they would be taken away from you by another member. The point of the system is to torture you by losing your Prized Possession, not an innocent animal. ;)

Merlandese

• Coffee Leeble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »
Haha! It's flattering that you started this thread! I actually started a thread somewhat like this at Freebird before developing the game to get different ideas about PPs and why people cared for them. :p

As for living Prized Possessions, are you not a pet owner? Is an animal in this case nothing more than a love-imbued possession? It's more of a philosophical question. Are your pets free to move into other people's houses, start their own lives, etc.; or must you keep them leashed, teach them tricks, and lock them into your homes? How much weight do you give the concept of ownership?

As for me, I don't know if I have any one thing I'd be able to honestly call a Prized Possession (which may seem strange since I made a whole game on it). I'm more of a minimalist (like Odon). However, through all of the years I've kept a dark ceramic incense burner in the shape of a wolf howling at the moon. When you light incense cones beneath it, it looks like it's howling smoke.

I got it at a really early age. My friend and I saved up and bought it from a beach-side merchant during a Memorial Day annual vacation to the ocean. It's probably the thing I've kept the longest. Everything else I get rid of.

I named him Langelo, a portmanteau of "Lan" (my name) and "Angelo" from Final Fantasy VIII.

Ferdk

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
    • Ferdk's Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:54:24 PM »
This is a very interesting topic! which makes me sad I have nothing to contribute haha. I guess I could say my guitar is something I don't want to lose, but its more because what I can do with it than the object itself. If I'd lose it and could buy another one (lets pretend I had money) I wouldn't mind that much. So I guess that wouldn't qualify as Prized Possession. And I can't think of anything else :P
But looking forward to read what you guys consider your PPs! :)
My youtube channel (videogame covers and stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

small

• Swifthand
    • View Profile
    • A Quiver of Crows
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
Hrrrm...I thought about this for a while. It's a hard answer because I try not to get to attached to anything. I have to say photos, because I do like looking at them many years later. So if my room caught on fire, I would grab my laptop (for functional reasons) and then my pictures.

True story - when I was playing Wow beta with my boyfriend at that time, I took a bunch of funny screenshots of fun moments. I'd taken effort to photoshop commentary into the screenshots, and I'd planned to post them online but stalled. We broke up, and he immediately deleted all of my screenshots. I was SO UPSET!

--
spellbunny - ah yes, Weezy of course! ^_^ the cutie!
unnamed - your cat is sooo cute. It's funny - your cat looks like he/she has jowls! Is that an illusion?
Merlandese - that's a nice story about the incense burner. I also like how you named it. =)
Ferdk - being able to replace an object (assuming I had a lot of money) was also what made it difficult for me. I agree with your point about the guitar. If it was a guitar that belonged to a famous guitar-player, that would probably make it easier.  :)
Developer and composer for A Quiver of Crows.

SoHoInBrooklyn

• Shroom-Trainer Elite (Lvl 8)
  • Dancing the cabbage patch in thread form.
    • View Profile
    • 60.25's :3
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:55:31 PM »
If living creatures counted, then my dog Metal.
Spoiler for Man, I need to get an updated picture of this dog:
But since I define Metal as a part of the family, in the least as extended family, I wouldn't consider her an 'object' so... I'll go with my photo album, which I unfortunately don't have an image of. Which would be kind of meta, since it would be nothing but an image of an image. Odd.

I have a horrible memory. I honestly think it's a condition. It's not like, forgetting the usual trivial crap. It's massive. I'll forget my age. I recently bumped into someone whom I had forgotten I had gone out with for almost a year in high school with. It's astounding the things I'll forget. Unless someone is there to remind me, or there is an item nearby to remind me of something, I can't always remember what had happened in the past. So this album is the only thing that lets me remember friends who may have moved away, or died from cancer or a suicide, girlfriends and events and everything. lol I just realized, in a strange way my prized possession is my past haha.
Spoiler for snazzy sig in a spoiler:
snazzy sig

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 06:05:38 PM »
As for living Prized Possessions, are you not a pet owner? Is an animal in this case nothing more than a love-imbued possession? It's more of a philosophical question. Are your pets free to move into other people's houses, start their own lives, etc.; or must you keep them leashed, teach them tricks, and lock them into your homes? How much weight do you give the concept of ownership?

I remember Squeaker talking about this, describing his own situation. :)
Also it reminds me of Brian's paradox from Family Guy. ;)

unnamed - your cat is sooo cute. It's funny - your cat looks like he/she has jowls! Is that an illusion?

Thanks! And he really has jowls. I don't really know why for sure, probably because he's quite old - Huncut is about 16-17 years old now.

And what's your opinion about my doll? Is it so silly to have a doll for a 23-year-old guy? :/

By the way, I forgot to show how Ginger Snap looks like in the cartoon:

Isn't she cute? <3

Though it's not a mandatory protocol, but you could try to summarize the meanings of your Prized Possessions in a word, like Squeaker does in the game - the player can ask Squeaker's insights of another member, who then tells about the member and their Prized Possession. In the end, he draws a conclusion like:

"Roland's Prized Possession is the only one in the château that comes with a request."

Merlandese

• Coffee Leeble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
I noticed you did that for yours, and I was like "OMG he even read Squeaker's super obscure insights behind the members' possessions!" I didn't think anyone did that. :p

That incense burner was something I saw one year far from where I lived, then waited an entire year until I could go back to get. I saved some money and took it all the way to the beach with me, and of all of the crazy-cool burners there were (my friend got a dragon), I bought the same exact one I had sought out to buy, no hesitation. I didn't obsess over it all year or anything, I just thought to myself, I'm going to save up enough money and buy this 365 days from now.

I guess in that way, my Prized Possession represents tenacity.

And I think the Ginger Snap plush is a super cool PP. :) It's a pretty unique thing to have. I'm certain Grams would approve. :p

I also like SoHo's! That's a really interesting reason behind your PP, and if I had heard that story before making my silly game I might have totally stolen it from you. :p
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:32:48 PM by Merlandese »

supershigi

• No Yoshi is an Island
  • Royal Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
I really like this thread... and Unnamed, your cat is so cute and unique looking (I also did a double take at the jowls)^^  I'm going to have to think a bit before I answer though.  In high school I would have had an immediate answer... I had this mechanical pencil that my Dad got me from Japan.  It was such a nice pencil in so many ways; I brought it with me wherever I went and used it to write notes and stories, to sketch all sorts of drawings, and to come up with comics for my friends (I drew so many mini comic books based on inside jokes with them).  It wrote so nicely, and was very thin so I could control it better.  It was also good for twirling purposes, haha XD  But these days I don't write as much anymore, and I tend to use thin ballpoint pens when I do.  I still love that pencil though :)

Hmm... My Eeyore plushie is pretty important to me.  He was with me through all my sad times, and has always been very huggable.  Photos are also very important to me... Hmm... gonna have to think more...

Raxus

• Trained Citizen (Level 3)
  • Stranger than the average stranger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 08:02:35 PM »
Honestly, mine would—as cheesy as it sounds—be Moony. I can't imagine anything or anytime without her now.

But, if it had to be something physical, I'd probably choose this necklace I have. It has this Ancient Greek coin as the pendant and it looks so awesome! I've loved it ever since I got it.

Though, I might have something else. :/ Not sure...
supershigi is Best Pony.

SuperRoo

• Shroom-Druid (Level 11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »
Wow, what a question! I have two items that are sentimental, one stuffed animal that I have had since I was 3 years old, and another cute rock that my best friend from when I was very young made for me.

It would be really hard to put something up in that situation!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Cr45hCode

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
    • View Profile
    • SOL-Craft
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 05:38:21 AM »
This is interesting.. Even if I didn´t play the game by now, I thought about that a few times and this is always the first thing that comes to my mind:

Spoiler for my pp:

I inherited this lighter from my father, who past away a few years ago. It always gives me the feeling, that he´s still watching over me.
And since the text on it says "Carpe Diem", it´s like he says "Go on! Make the best out of your life! I know you can!"
This may sound a bit cheesy and naive, but I think thats why this lighter is so important to me  :/

Unnamed

• Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »
Thank you all for contributing to the thread! ;) SoHoInBrooklyn, the story of your album is really interesting, thanks for sharing!

This is a very interesting topic! which makes me sad I have nothing to contribute haha. I guess I could say my guitar is something I don't want to lose, but its more because what I can do with it than the object itself. If I'd lose it and could buy another one (lets pretend I had money) I wouldn't mind that much. So I guess that wouldn't qualify as Prized Possession. And I can't think of anything else :P
But looking forward to read what you guys consider your PPs! :)

Interesting. I think replaceable objects don't qualify. Partially, this is the reason why I wouldn't propose my laptop for PP, for example. Maybe I could propose my desktop computer, then - but no. What I love about my desktop computer, is not the object itself - it's rather the software parts, and the data. But you can't qualify a set of software and data for PP, I suppose. For example, I've spent really much time configuring the system. Once I even saved my actual Windows XP installation - once the system didn't boot, and I couldn't do anything than installing a new system - but I kept the old one, and then I kept hacking until I merged the 2 instances of Windows XP to get a working system with the old registry and settings. You know I really don't like to lose my settings - there are hundreds of programs installed, set in %PATH%, etc.; and it's really annoying, for instance, when I say "fpc MgSMTP.pas" or "dig any supershigi.com", and then the command-line tells me that it doesn't find the referred application. Actually, I was really proud of myself that I saved my good old registry - everyone else would have just reinstalled the system and would have started it all again with a brand-new, dumb, default Windows XP installation.

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed, but I've linked a great number of images from my desktop computer - since it also has an Apache installed. For example, the above picture of Huncut is located on my desktop computer, which I run as a server, actually, and I also used to link my screenshots from there. This is why you need to wait a little more for these pictures to load - I just don't have such a huge upload bandwidth at home. :P

As for me, I don't know if I have any one thing I'd be able to honestly call a Prized Possession (which may seem strange since I made a whole game on it). I'm more of a minimalist (like Odon).

I really don't understand minimalism. Though Odon's minimalism is understandable, yours isn't. Could you live without a computer and a synthesizer you use to make music and games?

Merlandese

• Coffee Leeble
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 03:23:12 AM »
I really don't understand minimalism. Though Odon's minimalism is understandable, yours isn't. Could you live without a computer and a synthesizer you use to make music and games?

I'm not really a purist minimalist (or "simple living" person) because that requires the eschewing of anything not needed. However, I do have an urge for reduction and simplicity. My computer and keyboard aren't necessary by any means in the grand scheme of things, but they get as much use as any of the objects I own that are needed and are thus justified. Objects that don't get used get recycled or rejected. That may seem like a simple concept, but it really isn't.

The more I own, the less I feel like myself and the more I feel like I am my stuff; the more I feel like my home has transformed from a shelter to a storage shed. It's cluttering and uncomfortable. I hate the idea of buying something, using it twice, then keeping it stored in case I need it again.

This realization came when I bought an awesome clothes iron for my military BDUs. I used it to crease my sleeves for awhile, but then realized that sleeve-creasing wasn't for me (a different story entirely). However, it was a really nice iron and cost a pretty penny, so it would have been a shame to get rid of. I kept it in the top of my closet, in its box.

More than a year later I was looking for something in my closet and found the iron. I had forgotten about it entirely, and I realized that I was no more better off keeping it and forgetting about it than I was getting rid of it. Further self scrutiny revealed that many of the things I owned were kept with "lame" logic applied, such as not wasting what I had spent or keeping it "just in case," even though that "just in case" may only come once more in my life. I had a stack of my favorite magazines, for example, that I swore I'd read again but never did. (I find that DVD collections often fit this description as well--the collection is bulky, but more appetizing than no collection at all.)

So I got rid of everything (most things) and felt wonderful. And when I feel a bit down, cleansing all of the useless weight makes me feel much better. Debt? Don't have it. A result of not getting things I don't need or absolutely want. Easy to say but not many can prevent themselves from buying things that they'll only use a few times, or that are way more of a burden than a help.

So yeah, I'm no minimalist monk, but as a person who has owned plenty and knows people who own plenty, I feel no remorse in saying that less is much more. :)