Author Topic: Behind the Walls - fantasy RP  (Read 8121 times)

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
Behind the Walls - fantasy RP
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:34:08 PM »
Alright, some interest was shown in having a roleplay on the forum.  So, here's a roleplay. :)

For those of you new to RPing, I'm going to link a few RPing guides, but give some basics here as well.

Spoiler for RPing guides:
KitC’s Roleplaying 101 course - It was never finished, but what it does have is pretty in-depth
Character guide
Artistic roleplaying
Roleplaying dictionary

One thing you need before you start a RP is a setting.  In the 'what's on YOUR mind' thread, a strong preference for fantasy was shown, so we'll go with fantasy.  One person mentioned modern fantasy and sci-fi, so while it may not be very common, let's say that some technology exists out there - generally of the purely mechanical type, some may be steampunk - but not too common.

Since I want this to be loose for the sake of new RPers, let's say that there are a lot of different fantasy races out there, and that magic exists, but there are different variations of it taught.

I need a specific place to start out, so let's say we're in a large keep, with the civilians living within the outer walls.  Closer to the walls, there's a farming district, a crafting district, and a marketplace as well as housing for commoners.  Closer to the castle itself you'll see the higher-class area, which includes places entertainment and learning.  There are a few inns.  Since they needed to get their stone from somewhere in order to make the walls, there are mountains nearby, which also have mines.  The keep is Human-dominant, but has some of other races; usually Dwarves.  And the name is...   Mmm...  Strongwall?  Okay, feel free to suggest names.  I'm not so good with names. ^_^;

Spoiler for Quick character guide:
With the setting in mind, the next thing you'll want to do is pick out a character, perhaps create one on the spot if you wish.  There are a lot of general rules and guidelines for character creation, but it basically boils down to 'keep them balanced and not more than a little unrealistic.'  While they have their strengths, they should also have their flaws; this goes for both physical characteristics and personality.  Maybe they're strong, but not so fast.  Maybe they're smart, but they're not good with people and they get sick easily.  Stuff like that.  Sometimes you can make things interesting by making someone, say, hard of hearing, or even deaf.  Maybe they've learned to speak and read lips, but still wouldn't hear something behind them.  (And just to make sure you know, having 'too much' kindness/beauty/etc. isn't a character flaw.)

In general, the character should be about average, or just a little above.  Like it's generally okay if they could easily take on the average angry villager or two if they wanted - maybe having some trouble at three or four - but if they're taking out swarms of enemies with one hit per enemy and not tiring while dodging every hit that comes their way, or something like that, they're probably overpowered.

If you're unsure about what kinds of strengths/weaknesses to give your character, or how much to make them strong/weak at something, or you want to avoid overpowering in general, you could try a random number generator.  People who play tabletop RPing usually roll three 6-sided dice, add up the numbers, do this over and over until you have 6 stats, and then assign the numbers to whichever stats you like.  Some Game Masters will have you roll 4 dice and discard the lowest die.  Some will let you take points from one stat and put it into another.  If you happen to roll a lot of bad stats, GMs will usually let you roll again.

Also: You may want to have at least a basic backstory in mind to explain how your character got to where they are.  I'd recommend something that has a few happy points along with some sad stuff.  Or if they're just starting out, a fairly average life with nothing terribly major could be acceptable.  If they have a really dark story, make sure it reflects in the character; they'll probably be at least a little insane in one way or another, and probably have some strong physical negative, even if it's strengthened them in other ways.  I wouldn't recommend much of a happy-go-lucky story either, though if you do go with one, there should still be some downsides; the character would probably be very, very naïve due to being sheltered from the cruelty of the world, among other things.

D&D 3.5 has some optional rules that have some nice things to draw from for character creation, if you want to look.

You could possibly use two characters if you like, though I'd recommend starting with one character and seeing how you do with that first, especially if you don't have a lot of RP experience.

Note that you don't have to make a character from scratch unless the GM asks you to.  For this game, since we have a number of beginning RPers, I'm going to keep things loose and allow people to use different type of fantasy-based characters.  In fact, I'm going to use a character I made in an MMO, basically because I want to use him more and work on his character somewhat.  But also, since he's from a game and I've played him, I already have a good idea of his skills, strengths and weaknesses.

Note: Dice and other things can be used in general if you're having trouble deciding how something should go, or if you want to help keep from dodging/hitting/etcetera too much. Random.org is a good site to get random numbers from.

Once you've decided on your character, be sure to give a description of them.  If you can provide a picture, that's great.  If not, be sure to describe their appearance in detail.

Spoiler for My character:
Name: Quéranómë (Don't feel too bad if you can't type the accent marks - I only really know how to write them on one type of computer, myself.  In case you can't see the accent marks because of your computer, it's basically 'Queranome.')

Race: It can be hard to tell since he always keeps his hood up, but he's definitely either a Human or an Elf.

Appearance - taken at character age 10, the marks on his cheeks are face paint:

Character type: Mage

Notes: Specializes in offensive, three-element-based magic, but knows a little bit of defensive and healing magic.  Has a wand that helps increase the strength of fire magic.  Carries a bow and a dagger, but isn't very good at them.

Now while you can use my post as an example, you don't have to base your character form off of mine too closely.  Some RPs will ask for a description on your character's backstory and basic behavior, some will not.  I've decided to leave out details such as that because I'd like you guys to learn about the character through the character, but you can put down some details on character behavior and backstory if you like.

If you'd like some help creating your character, try dropping me a PM, and I'll see what I can do. :)

Okay, now that we've got I've setting and a character, I'm ready to make my first post.  I'm going to try using a mix of prose-based and action-based writing - I'm going to use prose when describing surroundings and such, but when my character does something, I'm going to enclose the actions in *asterisks.*  You can experiment with styles to find what you like best.  I'm also going to use emoticons to help represent my character and show his expressions - this is actually not a common practice.  I just happen to have spent a lot of time in a forum where it grew popular to use font colors, and then custom emoticons to represent different characters, and I've come to like being able to see the character's face and expression.  Again, you can use what you'd like

You may note that I haven't set a lot of details for what's going on in the land or anything like that.  I haven't even begun to foreshadow what might be going on.  I left that out on purpose.  Sure, I have some ideas, but I want to leave things open for your ideas as well.  Besides, in my RP experience, even when I'm GMing a scene, things rarely ever go according to my plans, anyway.  Things could mesh and mingle, or explode in the craziest ways possible.  We can't say for sure what will happen just yet.

Let's find out together, shall we? ;)

In the commoner's marketplace, shortly within the safety of the walls, many stalls and stands are laid out with wares.  Merchants vocally advertised their wares, trying their hardest to get some good sales.  The food market in particular draws customers to it, as it has now.  The market isn't crowded, but there are still many people there.

A figure in a robe walks through the marketplace.  His robes definitely don't come from this land, but travelers aren't terribly uncommon.  Still, the light-blue colors on it are enough to catch the attention of many of the commoners, particularly the merchants.

*browses the stalls, seeing what there is*

Merchant: Hey there.  Would you like a nice, juicy melon? *rubs melon*

*pauses* ... *walks up, picks up a melon and begins to examine it*

Minecraft Server: Craft Pointe - Temporarily Down

Cr45hCode

• Elite Citizen (Level 4)
    • View Profile
    • SOL-Craft
Re: Behind the Walls - fantasy RP
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
I would like to join :)
Hope it´s okay if I just give a visual description of my char(, even if everything is allready written down), so you need to interact with him to get to know him better. It´s more exciting this way, in my opinion ^^

Spoiler for My Char:
Name: [**** *****]
Race: Human

Appearance:
Spoiler for Picture:
It´s been a while since I have drawn something the last time ^^
But I guess it´s okay.

Spoiler for Kinda MakingOf:
drawing -> colored with aquarell -> photohoped ^^

Type/Class: hard to say, he looks like a "Hunter-Thief-Assassin" ^^

Another character passes by silently. While he keeps walking, he whispers emotionless:

"Lay it back. These melons aren´t worth a single copper coin..."

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:33:21 AM by Cr45hCode »

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:18:40 PM »
That would be the first time I've seen that much held back, but sure, that works. =)

*looks over briefly* ... *knocks on the melon*

The melon gives off a sound that suggests the insides either had begun to rot, or hadn't grown properly in the first place, and that the melon was actually rather hollow.

*puts the melon back* *shakes head* *moves to the next stall*

((I was actually planning on doing basically that anyway. XD))

PanSola

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 02:40:01 AM »
reading up on all the links :D

Strawfairy

• Herbal Medic
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:09:02 AM »
This is a little different than the forum RPs I'm used to.

Usually there are two separate threads: One for off-topic discussion and character creation, then one for the actual RP.

And to be honest, I do much better with a blank character sheet I'm supposed to work with, but I think I'll use the one you used.

So can we make anything up - including races and abilities?

And am I allowed to write my side of the RP, like an actual story instead of using ** to describe what my character is doing?

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 05:40:02 PM »
@PanSola: Have fun.  Just bear in mind that you might be there for awhile.

@Strawberry: The one's I'm used to generally don't have an OOC board unless the OOC gets out of hand.  I guess it depends on a lot of things, like the scale of the RP and how much planning might be needed, and what type of forum/chatboard the RP is on.

For everything else you mentioned, as I said in the first post, you don't need to base your character sheet off of mine.  Or your post-style.  Or your character information...  I guess you could say that the big idea of this RP is to let people experiment as well as to let people new to RP get an idea of what a RP is like.  Granted, those two might be an interesting mix, but I suppose we'll see what happens.

PanSola

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:57:18 PM »
This is a little different than the forum RPs I'm used to.

Usually there are two separate threads: One for off-topic discussion and character creation, then one for the actual RP.

Wow, if Strawberry didn't mention it, I would've missed it and thought it part of Omni's signature q-:

PanSola

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »
Spoiler for basic character info:
Pseudonym: Pete Bradsky

Appearance: Human male, approximately 15 years of age.  Body built is about average ~ fit, skin is a bit tanned.  Short dark hair.

Character type: Civilian?
Spoiler for backstory:
Bread In The Sky earned his tribal name due to his apititude for baking -- one of the village elders who had tasted his bread commented that it gave him wings.  One day his village was attacked and burned down by unknown enemies, leaving him as the sole surviver (that he knows of -- body count isn't reliable after the fire).  Unsure what to do, he decided to travel to the nearest known major human(-dominant) settlement -- Strongwall.

A caravan he encountered on the way heard his story, and suggested he use a pseudonym to hide his origins, just in case whoever burned his village wanted to eliminate all survivors.  They also give him a dagger to protect himself with, although he has never practiced with any weapons before.
Spoiler for skills and abilities:
Current Skill:
* Bakery Aptitude
** Bread dough kneaded by him has a 20% increase in effects.
** Bread baked by him stays fresh for 20% longer.
* Dagger Novice
** Attacking with this weapon has a small chance of hurting himself.

Current Recipies:
* Normal Bread
** Reduces hunger by a fixed amount
* Hard Bread
** Less effective at reducing hunger compared to Normal Bread, but can fit a lot more into inventory
** Can be piled up to build stairs to reach high places (requires Dexterity 30 to pile/climb)

Locked skills: (incomplete list)
* Spilled Bread (Requires: 20 Intelligence, 15 Dexterity)
** "accidentally" drop bread from the inventory on the ground, letting enemies find and eat them without suspicion.

Locked Recipies: (incomplete list)
* Bread of Empathy (Requirements unknown)
** Reduces eater's hostility (aggro?) towards party
* Bread of Resistence (Requirements unknown)
** Reduces effect of poison on the eater
* Bread of Curing (Requirements unknown)
** Cures the eater of poison completely
Spoiler for other notes:
* The name "Bread In The Sky" is from one of my Maple Story characters, which is itself derived from my internet alias.
* Building stairs out of bread is from the computer game Ultima 7
* The village wiped out and pseudonym concept is lifted from the book "Talon of the Silver Hawk"
* Other potential sources of inspiration:
** Yakitatte JAPAN! - a manga/anime series about baking bread.  There's a bread that tastes so good it broke through the laws of casusality and altered history.  Quite an entertaining series.
** Shining Hearts - a video game (RPG?) that revolves around bread baking.  I heard the gameplay actually sucks so I never plan to play it, but reading the guides/walkthroughs might be a source for interesting ideas.  Also has an anime adaptation started this Spring season which I haven't checked out yet.

----

Bradsky walked through the marketplace, absorbed in the scent of various food that he had never experienced before, and wondered how to make bread with those wonderful smells... starting with that melon.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:49:04 PM by PanSola »

Pat

• Mage Disciple
  • Little guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
I'll try to think of somebody, then I might join in too. :P
I never forget. I just don't always remember.

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 08:58:11 PM »
Okay...  One thing to keep in mind might be that you probably shouldn't wait too much for other people to post and take the initiative. ^_^;

*continues browsing through the fruits*  *visibly recoils at one stall*

((Speaking of which, somebody's going to have to approach someone.  Any good candidates?))

PanSola

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
I am learning that one problem with having a character whose backstory involve everyone else dying is it feels unnatural for that character to proactively approach other people without a good reason...

next time I'll keep one other person in the backstory alive.

----

* Ignores the recoiling nearby person, and picks up an overly-ripe melon that has obviously started to go bad *

* Uses left hand to wave away the fruitflies that were attracted by the melon's smell,  brings the melon closer to the nose to smell *

"Hmm..."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:42:29 PM by PanSola »

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 11:16:41 PM »
Hmm...  Welp, since it seems nothing's going to happen like this, maybe it's time to make something happen.

Guys, keep this general strategy in mind for other RPs. ;)

As the robed figure continued to try to find food that was of at least tolerable quality, a shout was suddenly heard.

"HEY!  HE GOT MY COIN BAG!!"

*turns to look*

A fairly ragged-looking man can be seen running through the crowd.  Most shoppers seem to be inclined to run out of his path in fear.

*runs after the man, drawing his wand*

PanSola

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 11:22:35 PM »
* throws the melon at the running figure*

"Oh wait I might not have enough coins to pay for that melon..."

----

I just got reminded of a scene from a Japanese baseball comic, where it's the national tournament season (Koushien).  At the train station someone yelled "Hey that's my bag!".  The protagonist is a pitcher, and pulled out a baseball from his pocket, turned around to look for the theif, only to find the theif already being hit by 6 other baseballs thrown from different directions.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:25:47 PM by PanSola »

Omni

• Shield Guard
    • View Profile
    • Omni's DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
((XDDD

*because Omni's a bit indecisive, she heads to Random.org to get an idea of what could happen* Hmm...))

The boy's throw is rather good.  It begins to fly far and head for its target, except...

*gets in the path and is hit from behind* *falls forward, managing to break his fall with his hands*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:55:57 AM by Omni »

PanSola

• Shroom-Rider (Level 5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 01:11:43 AM »
how do you catch yourself with your hands? o_O"""

---

* Cursed under his breath, pulls out a hard loaf of bread from his bag and throws that at the running figure again *

---

Omni, if your character decides to get up and get hit again, he better be knocked out completely, cuz THAT BREAD IS HARD!!! q-: